Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Steel Body "retro" late model/sportsman series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: New Steel Body "retro" late model/sportsman series Reply with quote

I know many of you guys don't do facebook but these cars would be fun to watch....

https://www.facebook.com/steelsportsmanseries/

Here are the preliminary rules....

Some preliminary rules information so teams can get an idea of the vision of the SSS. These are purpose built racecars with retro bodies and low tech restrictions. These are NOT set in stone and are NOT up for debate on facebook. PM the SSS with questions do not post here.
Any safe racing late model type chassis allowed. Straight Rail, Perimeter, Tube or Stock Clip. 2.5” coilovers, Conventional Spring, Leaf Spring, etc. 66” treadwidth. 10” wheels. NO coated exhaust, 4 into 1 headers no merge collectors. Full Metric frame gets a 50lb break.
Proposed weights: Base weight 2900- 602 with a 4bbl,603 with a 4412, 3000 with a built engine(see claremont super street rules for now). Any Intake on built. Trans must have 2 forward gears. stock type clutch gets a 25lb weight break.
Retro style bodies. PLEASE see examples on the facebook page and the various groups. Steel Chevelle, Nova, 67-81 camaro, Malibu, 55 chevy etc. Please ask if you have questions about eligibility. Weight breaks for unique and interesting bodies that define the look of the SSS. The fivestar/ar/duraflex etc 88 Monte deal with be allowed with the glass roof. There will be valance height rules and a small spoiler. NO rear windows. NO aero.
Suspension Restrictions: Pro Shock 76-77 front and 94-95 rear. Min spring rate (with a forthcoming spring location and angle spec) coilover = 400 // Big spring (location rule as well) 900 Max rear spring (appropriate location and angle) 200 on the GSPSS load cell. Max sway bar diameter 1.25” with full arm length as manufactured.
We hope to work out a system to run GSPSS take off tires that have been collected and serial numbered by the SSS and resold for a nominal cost. This is definitely up in the air and is in the conceptual stage.
Hopefully this gives interested teams an idea of our vision. If we get support and commitments at the meeting we can go forward with this deal. This should provide the racer a low tech high reward day at the track and the fans with a unique throwback experience that they want to see.
Racer14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a group that runs classic bodied stock cars at Illinois/Wisconsin tracks. Some of them are painted to resemble cars like Joe Shear and Dick Trickle raced. They are great to watch but unfortunately not very many cars. I suspect it is not easy finding body panels cheap. Years ago there was a 57 Chev bodied car that ran our sportsman class and it was very popular. That 69 Cutlass shown on the FB page looks neat. I wonder where they got the body panels for it and what they cost.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Cutlass up for sale at $8500......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/173036109560218/permalink/957581931105628/?sale_post_id=957581931105628&ref=messenger_share
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That series is up here in New Hampshire, I think I posted a link on my Facebook page a month or so ago. I hope they can make a go of it.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine and a local racer (retired) is building a tribute car and said he would love to haul up there a time or two just for fun. He has a "roller" and the body. Now sourcing engine etc. Here is the car he is building. It was driven by a man named LaMarr Marshall who passed away just a few years after this picture was taken.

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: