Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slot car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Slot car Reply with quote

Hi I ran across your forum stopped and checked it out Very Interested so
I joined I hope you guys take slot car people? and 1/32 scale
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard!!!
john843

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Herbie, Do you do any HO slots?
John
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. These guys are awesome on here, any question you have someone on here will have an answer for you, not to mention the fantastic builds and attention to detail everyone shows.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Herbie53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Thank You for the welcomes Reply with quote

Thanks for all the welcomes!! Im sorry it took so long to get back to you guys but I couldn't get into my emails because ebay said I need to open
another address and I had problems all over! Plus Im not very good on the computer!!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!!! I do all kinds of slot cars, my first slot car track was 1/32 scale at the ripe old age of five. Been in love with all scales of slots ever since, and I'm sixty one now. I have several hundred 1/32 scale slot cars in my collection.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Slot cars! Reply with quote

I speak slot cars! I don't want anybody accusing me of being an attention whore, so I'm really happy to see somebody else bring the subject up. One of these days I'll get things straight and be able to post some pictures, but in the meantime, in the world of 32nd scale, Carrera, monogram, scx and scalextric have all done NASCAR subject matter. The two most interesting to the people on this board should be the line of Carreras Wing cars and talladega's with four separate body styles. The Daytona and the Talladega are the sharpest, the Superbirds okay but has a molded in vinyl top so they could do a stock version as well, the charger 500 is pretty nice but you can keep the 70 Roadrunner which shares the same body with the Superbird and is off in a variety of ways but you can put a Superbird nose wing and Fender scoops on it to increase the amount of cars available. Carrera still releases after all these years new paint schemes from time to time, some recent ones include the Bobby Unser Pikes Peak Torino, Andy Hamptons charger 500, Wendell Scott's Torino and Sal Tovello's( please somebody correct my spelling) Superbird. This line is almost 20 years old and they've done all the Heavy Hitters. Even Petty's Talledega AND Superbird! While they may not run as well, monogram also had some very sharp mid 60's cars in a variety of different paint schemes. 63 and 65 galaxies, a 66 charger( David Pearson championship car! R.I.P silver fox!) A 67 Fairlane and a 67 Plymouth( and they got the color wrong on Richards car) these look great sitting on shelves and are collector's items already sometimes pushing out well over $100 N.I.B. For a short period of time, Professor motor had a few of these bodies unpainted and one of these days I'll post pics of my Petty Plymouth. Something else in the world of slot cars is the H & R slider. This is an adjustable brass chassis with scale wheels and tires design for use with 24th/25th model car bodies. Styrene plastic model car bodies are a lot more durable than what you would what you would think. Again I'll put some posts up of these, hopefully sooner rather than later. These things are so cool and so well designed that the ID of the wheels is the same OD as an AMT or MPC Model Kit Wheel which means you're not only using just the body from the model, but you could trim those lips off of model car wheel and use it as an insert. Too cool!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
I speak slot cars! I don't want anybody accusing me of being an attention whore, so I'm really happy to see somebody else bring the subject up. One of these days I'll get things straight and be able to post some pictures, but in the meantime, in the world of 32nd scale, Carrera, monogram, scx and scalextric have all done NASCAR subject matter. The two most interesting to the people on this board should be the line of Carreras Wing cars and talladega's with four separate body styles. The Daytona and the Talladega are the sharpest, the Superbirds okay but has a molded in vinyl top so they could do a stock version as well, the charger 500 is pretty nice but you can keep the 70 Roadrunner which shares the same body with the Superbird and is off in a variety of ways but you can put a Superbird nose wing and Fender scoops on it to increase the amount of cars available. Carrera still releases after all these years new paint schemes from time to time, some recent ones include the Bobby Unser Pikes Peak Torino, Andy Hamptons charger 500, Wendell Scott's Torino and Sal Tovello's( please somebody correct my spelling) Superbird. This line is almost 20 years old and they've done all the Heavy Hitters. Even Petty's Talledega AND Superbird! While they may not run as well, monogram also had some very sharp mid 60's cars in a variety of different paint schemes. 63 and 65 galaxies, a 66 charger( David Pearson championship car! R.I.P silver fox!) A 67 Fairlane and a 67 Plymouth( and they got the color wrong on Richards car) these look great sitting on shelves and are collector's items already sometimes pushing out well over $100 N.I.B. For a short period of time, Professor motor had a few of these bodies unpainted and one of these days I'll post pics of my Petty Plymouth. Something else in the world of slot cars is the H & R slider. This is an adjustable brass chassis with scale wheels and tires design for use with 24th/25th model car bodies. Styrene plastic model car bodies are a lot more durable than what you would what you would think. Again I'll put some posts up of these, hopefully sooner rather than later. These things are so cool and so well designed that the ID of the wheels is the same OD as an AMT or MPC Model Kit Wheel which means you're not only using just the body from the model, but you could trim those lips off of model car wheel and use it as an insert. Too cool!

I'm with you, we used to race on a sixteen lane 1/24th scale Daytona track. The Pro class ran Champion of Chamblee brass chassis with model stock car bodies. They were very fast, and heavy cars, but the bodies, if constructed well enough, could take quite a beating.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Slot cars! Reply with quote

Shoe Goo!!!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Shoe Goo!!!

Yep, that's what we used to keep them glued down Laughing Very Happy Shocked .
MG Brown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
I'm with you, we used to race on a sixteen lane 1/24th scale Daytona track....

16 Lanes? How in the world did you marshal a track that wide- I can barely reach across a 8 lane track with 4.5" lane spacing.

If you happen to have a pic of the track I would love to see it.
MG Brown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
Shoe Goo!!!

I have had good luck with hot glue also (especially with clear windows).
MG Brown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:

16 Lanes? How in the world did you marshal a track that wide- I can barely reach across a 8 lane track with 4.5" lane spacing.

"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Slot cars! Reply with quote

MG Brown wrote:
"Fireball" wrote:

If a deslot occurred, the race director would throw the main power switch to the track, all the cars track positions were resest to last running order, power switch was flipped on, and the race resumed. You were allowed three deslots then you were out of the race. We ran the same number of laps as the real cars did, high voltage races, sports car races, and 24hr endurance races. The sports cars ran shorter brass champion of chamblee chassis, and lexan bodies. Also, a very complete, before, and after race tech inspection. That track was huge, and everything was to 1/24 scale. Wonderful memories. Sorry, no pics, Was way before digital, or cell phone cameras. We were always to busy with racing to take pics.
KenK

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a 16-lane track in 1/24th scale difficult to believe.

The track surface would be over 6 feet wide.

I've never see anything over 8 lanes.

Are you sure you didn't mistype that?

How were the lanes marked?
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenK wrote:

Believe it!!! Eight colored lanes, inside, and outside yelow, blue,... etc. Each color lane shared a bench, inside, outside color, and the two came together side, by side down the back stretch. The two drivers had to talk to each other, so as not to run over each other on the back stretch. Then the rest of the track was regular spacing. That was the original old track. When the track moved into the new location the new track that was built WAS only eight lanes, in 1/24th scale, and Daytona as well. Some of the best memories of my life.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenK wrote:

Dave Van, saw, and raced on the eight lane track. Not sure he got to see, or race on the sixteen lane track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: