Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison Monte Carlo 1972 season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pas.U.By Car#21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Bobby Allison Monte Carlo 1972 season? Reply with quote

I’m working on a Bobby Allison Monte Carlo from the 1972 season using the Model King/AMT kit. My question; is there any photographic evidence that Allison’s ride had the 1972 front end the kit gives you? Everything I have seen points to him using a 1971 front.

Thanks in advance.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go here its a picture from Nashville in 72 that shows Bobby's 72 MC the bumper has no parking lights that's a 72 item 71 has them
http://www.nashville420.com/Cars/Allison%20-%2072%20cgev.htm

Also check this another 72
https://public.fotki.com/mrchevyblack/model_reference_/stock_car_sportsman/12_bobby_allison/bobby_allison_72.html
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby's personal car, the one he built in Hueytown, was always a '72. It's identifiable by its red interior. As far as I know both of Junior's Monte Carlos they ran in '72 were always raced as a '71. I always say it was because it's easier to hide 1.5" of narrowing of the fenders on each side with the '71 headlight panels (and I'm only half joking...). All three years of firstgen Monte Carlo bumpers plus the '70 Chevelle bumper would physically bolt on and match the body lines but they all had different (or none at all) license plate pockets and parking light configurations so you can't go by that.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

I wish I had my old copies of Stock Car Racing magazine, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there was a major scandal at I believe at a Daytona or Talladega Sportsman race where NASCAR forced Donnie Allison and a few other major players to widen the front ends of their cars. There was a lot of pictures and some pretty humorous text about this incident. I remember comments like "racing stripes"and "cats eyes". Does anybody have any mid-70s issues of SCR with this big story in it? I wish I could provide a date. Maybe sometime in 77. And, is it true that MPC cut up the coo coo Marlin Monte Carlo for their dirt track series? I always thought that body was much sharper then the AMT even as a kid.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the incident I was thinking of. It was the '77 Permatex I think, it led directly to the templates that measure the width across the front of the hood and the front of the windshield. The '70 has the headlights centered in the headlight bezel, the '71 had the headlight pulled all the way over to the outboard edges of the headlight bezels which left about 2" of real estate for narrowing, and the '72 filled that real estate with the outboard turn signals. So the '71 was the best choice for narrowing.
sccachallenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
I wish I had my old copies of Stock Car Racing magazine, I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there was a major scandal at I believe at a Daytona or Talladega Sportsman race where NASCAR forced Donnie Allison and a few other major players to widen the front ends of their cars. There was a lot of pictures and some pretty humorous text about this incident. I remember comments like "racing stripes"and "cats eyes". Does anybody have any mid-70s issues of SCR with this big story in it? I wish I could provide a date. Maybe sometime in 77. And, is it true that MPC cut up the coo coo Marlin Monte Carlo for their dirt track series? I always thought that body was much sharper then the AMT even as a kid.

I remember a similar article with pics, I think I've still got the issue, I'll let you know.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

It wasn't just a Monte Carlo they caught, there was Laguna also. Posting the whole story would be awesome.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They caught Jack Ingram's Laguna, he had been driving the Banjo's Monte Carlo the year before and was aware of the trick but there's no big flat fender top on a Laguna to section so they fabricated fenders that tapered down in front of the wheelwells then sectioned the Laguna nose through the headlight opening. That made the opening visibly narrow, taking an inch and a half out of a headlight opening is pretty obvious. After he was caught he ratted out the others I think.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Please if you have that issue and you can reprint it, please post it!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that issue as well. I remember that other teams were taking the width out of the grille shell, where it didn't show up obviously. Not the case when you take it out of the headlights. To this day I've wondered "what were they thinking?"...
2002p51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the entire article from SCR May 77. These are scanned high enough that you should be able to print them out. Notice in the photo of the 21 Monte Carlo not only the strips of added metal to widen the car but also how much the nose of the car droops. I happen to know the man who built and was crew chief for that car and he told me there were literally close to 100 man hours in the front end sheet metal. Smile

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Here's another photo of the car I found on the internet:

And finally, this is a model I built of the car back in the late '70s. (Yes, I'm that old!) It is completely hand lettered, no decals available in those days. At this time I had never seen a color photo of the car so I guessed. And of course I guessed wrong, did the lettering in red instead the correct blue.

[/img]
R.J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and memories.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Kerry Bodenhamer is a great guy to talk with. He remembers a lot of details of those cars too.

Regarding the color of the graphics of the Allison car, that's how I felt when Bobby Hassler told me Friday's Plymouth Sportsman was Petty Blue instead of the bright red-orange like the coupe before it and the Chevy after it.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Slope - Nose Laguna S-3 wasn't slick enough already ??? Confused: Rolling Eyes
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Bobby Allison's 1972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

This is why I love this forum and I'm so proud to be a part of it. Maybe this should be a regular thing, a reprint from SCR every week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: