Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

master paint list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: master paint list Reply with quote

have the mods on the boards ever thought about creating a master paint list for builds, so folks don't have to come on here and clog up the threads with a simple "what color would/did you use for..." thread, that usually gets one or two answers and then just sits? IMO, this would be immensely useful, and would be a great thread for a sticky...

for example-

#7 Hooters - MCW fleet white (2610 in rattle can) and bright orange (2702 in rattle can)

#11 & #25 Budweiser - MCW Roman red (2722 in rattle can)

#9 Coors - MCW Guards red (2721 in rattle can)

#6 Stroh/Stroh's Light - MCW dark blue (2629 in rattle can)

#12 Menards - Pactra fluorescent yellow (303408)

and so forth. I would love to have something like this where folks can cross reference MCW, Tamiya, Testors, Model Master, etc.

thoughts?
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's a good idea but you have to list other paints besides MCW. not everyone wants or can order paint so a comprehensive list would have to be made to include all paints, testors, tamiya, rustolium, duplicolor ect. the paints you can get off the shelf or near by hobby store are most helpfull. it could be a concerted effort by everyone here to contribute paints the used for their builds.

joe
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: master paint list Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:

I would love to have something like this where folks can cross reference MCW, Tamiya, Testors, Model Master, etc.

thoughts?

Just what he asked for!
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
i think it's a good idea but you have to list other paints besides MCW. not everyone wants or can order paint so a comprehensive list would have to be made to include all paints, testors, tamiya, rustolium, duplicolor ect. the paints you can get off the shelf or near by hobby store are most helpfull. it could be a concerted effort by everyone here to contribute paints the used for their builds.

joe

Sorry if i sound snarky, but you basically summed up and repeated, in your post, what i said in my post, with the exception of your first sentence.

All brands of paints.
Mike4345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Paint list Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly, on the old board, before it went down, there was a section that had a lot of the paints for the older cars with recommendations of colors and paint brands for numerous cars and drivers. For instance, recommendations for Petty Blue and STP red with paint brand and color part #s and color purple for the #99 Dow Chemical Daytona. I guess it may have been lost in cyber space.

Mike
country modeler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to pull the below from old site, maybe this will help get this going.

DARKSIDE 

1963 Late season/1964 Fireball Roberts Galaxies: 

Ford Motor Company

1955 Regency Purple with a "clear" Pearl overcoat. 

1962 Wood Bros. Galaxie: FoMoCo Rangoon Red 

1963 " " " early/mid season: Bright White top of car, FMC Rangoon Red bottom.

Junior Johnson 1965-1966 Galaxies and 1966-1967 Fairlanes: FMC Springtime Yellow (1965 color, IIRC) 

1959-1962 H/M "white" Fords: FMC Corinthian/Wimbledon White. 

1960 Banjo Matthews #94 Starliner: FMC Corinthian White (can use Wimbledon White) 

1963 Ned Jarrett Galaxie from the Southern 500 on: True Blue Pearl all over for short track car; Wimbledon White roof over Blue Pearl for Speedway car.

1965 Fred Lorenzen Galaxie: FMC Wimbledon White. (1958 Chev. Cashmere Blue was used when the interior was painted light blue) 

1969 Richard Petty Torinos/Talladegas: FMC Grabber Blue 

1966 Jim Paschal #14 Friedkin North Wilkeboro Winner: Duplicolor Victory Red 

1963 Tiny Lund Southern 500 H/M Galaxie: House Of Kolors Tangerine Pearl over a metallic gold base. 

1963 (Southern 500 on)-1964-1965 Wood Bros. Galaxies, 1968 Dan Gurney Cyclone (Red #121): Duplicolor Medium Red Pearl over a metallic gold base. HOK Shimrins "Apple Red" top coat. The Wood Bros. actually used a three step process! 

1969-on K&K Chargers/Daytonas: FMC 1965 Mustang Poppy Red. 

!965-1974 Banjo Matthews red cars: FMC 1965 
Mustang Poppy Red. 

1967 David Pearson/Jimmy Clark Fairlanes: FMC 1966 Emberglow. 

1969 John Sears Coronet: Mopar Panther Pink 

Petty Blue:

Pre 1972: MM Grabber Blue 

For the Stroppe '57 and '63-'64 Mercurys, the colors are: 

'57 Mercury Persimmon for the reddish part 

'57 Mercury Pacific Blue Poly for the blue 

'57 Mercury Classic White (I think this is the same color as Ford Corinthian White) for the white. 

Testors Purple is actually a lavender color and is perfect for the early 63 Fireball Roberts car. 

GREYSIDE

Petty Blue: 
1973-P: Tamiya Lt. Blue 

Modern

#8 Bud Chevy………. Duplicolor Bright Red 
ts-8 pre 2003 bud red. 

#15 NAPA Michael Waltrip's……….True Blue Pearl (52906) in the Testors Colors By Boyd line 

#17 DeWalt Ford of Matt Kenseth ……….Tamiya Camel Yellow 

#24 Dupont Jeff Gordon Blue………. Tamiya Metallic Blue 

#38 M&M's car of Elliott Sadler ……….Tamiya Chrome Yellow 

#48/5 Blue: Tamiya Mica Blue 

Kodak/DeWalt/CAT Yellow: Tamiya Camel Yellow 

Pennzoil Yellow: Tamiya Chrome Yellow with Pearl Clear top coat. 

Tamiya Brilliant Blue is accurate for the 1997 Kyle Petty car and USG Sheetrock cars. 

Testors Dark Blue is very close, but not 100% perfect, for the AC Delco cars.
All of them, I think, but possibly not Dale Earnhardt's Japan car. 

Tamiya Purple is accurate for the #37 Kmart cars

Tamiya Orange, TS12 IIRC, is perfect for the Home Depot cars. 

tamiya ts-49 #9/19/8 cars 

tamiya tp-24(rc paint) modern tide orange. 

cobra colors verde miura-#9 dew green 

cobra colors gomango orange-#9 charger.com 

ts-31tamiya bright orange-#20home depot and#38 deka batteries 

ts-51-miller met blue. 

micca blue from tamiya- #5/48/97/26 

Coors Light Silver cars are matched perfectly with Model Master LACQUER Sterling Silver 

Heilig Meyers Teal is matched by Model Master Lacquer Tropical Turquoise
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be difficult to index in some kind of order without one master document, like an excel chart or editable numbered list. These threads and posts are in date order, so I am not sure how a database would be managed except somehow by a moderator.
country modeler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could put it all together in a Google Doc excel sheet and then have the link to the doc as a sticky.

Just ideas, would like to help anyway I can.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabber Blue is too "blue" for Petty Blue. I took a bunch of paint samples to the museum and compared them, the actual Petty blue was a little milkier than any spray can or MCW match I brought but Tamiya TS-23 over Tamiya light gray primer was the closest match by far. FWIW, it hasn't seemed to change over the years. Just the way it's perceived changed due to the extreme return from the fluorescent red-orange in the STP years.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

country modeler wrote:
We could put it all together in a Google Doc excel sheet and then have the link to the doc as a sticky.

Just ideas, would like to help anyway I can.

I was thinking that but I'm not sure how many here are Google doc savvy.

And since there is no supreme being who determines the one true color for anything, the database would need to include any and all 'suggestions.'
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple to add.

Hoss Ellington #1 cars (various sponsors, mainly UNO and Hawaiian Tropic): Ford Candyapple Red. Spray can approximation: Testors Flame Red lacquer.

Joe Weatherly Pontiacs/Mercurys: 1959 Chevy Roman Red (this is another one that the Testors Flame Red lacquer is an approximation if you need to use a hobby paint).

Jack Ingram Sportsman cars: 1967 Ford Burnt Amber Poly.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for the red on Cale Yarborough's 76-77 Holly Farms cars?

I've tested Tamiya TS-56 - McLaren Orange - with Powerslide's newer edition Holly Farms decal sheet and it matches closely with the color of the numbers.

Definite difference from the Camel Yellow, which is a better match for the older edition of the Powerslide decals. Newer version has darker shade in the numbers.

The TS-56 also matches very well on the '78 Olds, First Nat. City Bank decals done by Fred Cady.
martinfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: master paint list Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:

Just as a FYI but Menards yellow is not Fluorescent Yellow, its Neon Chartreuse Yellow, there is a difference between the two.

You can get Menards Yellow aka Neon Chartreuse Yellow at Scalefinishes, its listed under HOK colors

HOK Neon Chartreuse Yellow

MCW also has Menards Yellow
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: master paint list Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
18degrees wrote:

Just as a FYI but Menards yellow is not Fluorescent Yellow, its Neon Chartreuse Yellow, there is a difference between the two.

You can get Menards Yellow aka Neon Chartreuse Yellow at Scalefinishes, its listed under HOK colors

HOK Neon Chartreuse Yellow

MCW also has Menards Yellow

Have you ever seen Patcra flourescent yellow sprayed before? It’s a match for Menards yellow IMO. Just because it’s called “flourescent yellow” doesn’t mean it’s not a match, just the wording by the company is different.

And i made 3 Menards builds with the MCW Menards yellow, and it comes out way more yellow than neon chartreuse.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW eyeball matches most of their paints from photos. Their colors are usually close, often not exact. They aren't Gospel.

When I was doing screen print decal artwork I would sometimes tell Dave what the correct color was for an upcoming sheet so he could put it on his list of matches.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a good start. i would say go ahead and sticky it.

joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: