Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Dw's Cyclone really Andretti's Daytona 500 winner?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Is Dw's Cyclone really Andretti's Daytona 500 winner? Reply with quote

The title says it all. Is Darrell Waltrip's huge and immense ego hiding one of the most important existing race cars in the world?
john843

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that DW's original T.T. Cyclone WAS the '67 winner.
Never heard or really thought about whether or not the car Darrell has displayed is that same car or not. Good question. Either Tom M., Odcics, or George Andrews should be able to shed some light on it but I agree, the HM '67 Daytona winner would have a lot more cachet than it's current configuration.

John
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every account I read was they are the same chassis. DW bought the car from H&M already skinned as a Cyclone. He raced it a few times, wrecked it a few times and finally I think it ended up under a tarp in a backyard. Finally a tree fell on it damaging it further. It was restored and placed in the museum.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Is DW cyclone Reply with quote

Museum? I thought it was sitting in his living room.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you want an answer or to pick a fight with DW fans? If you are looking for a fight, go elsewhere.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Dw's Cyclone Reply with quote

One thing this board lacks greatly is a sense of humor. Darrell Waltrip help this sport turn the corner it needed to turn, by bringing a sense of humor to the racetrack. Yes it's an interesting topic and discussion, what do you think? Darrell ran a handful of races with that car, he got his feet wet in the big time with that car and I respect his decision to restore it to the condition he raced it. But.... I am a DW fan by the way. I'm a lifelong Richard Petty fan and I've been on here accusing him of cheating! And I saw a feature several years ago with him showing off that car in his house!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board is about building models. We have fought for years with people wanting to get into scraps over my driver is better than your driver or your driver is an idiot. If we stay on model building then everybody gets along. If that is not what you want , then maybe this is not the best fit for you.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW is probably the 5th or 6th most celebrated driver to have sat in that chassis. It won GN races with Mario Andretti, Bobby Allison, and David Pearson and was driven by A.J. Foyt and F1/Sports Prototype racer Rolf Stommelin. But it was his first GN car and he never got rid of it so I can understand him wanting it restored to the way it was when he raced it.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Dw's Cyclone Reply with quote

I have recently returned to building models, but have been a fan of this forum for many years. There is no better Source online for those vintage pictures and information about the history of the sport we love so much. This form is not just about building models, it's about providing information for those of us to choose to build replicas of our favorite race cars and for the rest of us to enjoy. This is supposed to be fun, remember?
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
DW is probably the 5th or 6th most celebrated driver to have sat in that chassis. It won GN races with Mario Andretti, Bobby Allison, and David Pearson and was driven by A.J. Foyt and F1/Sports Prototype racer Rolf Stommelin. But it was his first GN car and he never got rid of it so I can understand him wanting it restored to the way it was when he raced it.

Yes, i agree, Tom. To characterize sentimentality as ego misses the point somewhat, IMHO.

Yes, Mr Cabdriver, It's all fun, but sometimes on a message board the intent of the comment can be missed because it isn't backed up by an expression or tone of voice, and thus if it were meant to be lighthearted it might not be taken that way. Just a comment from what I've been reading here lately. There's more to it than that, but enough said.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly Dennis I think your way off the mark with your statements I did not think he was trying to start anything. But I do think your remark was uncalled for your a moderator and can kick me off if you want but I do think you should put yourself in check somewhat. The Moderators including yourself do a fantastic job.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Dw's Cyclone Reply with quote

It's the way of the world these days. Everybody communicates through email, and text, and Twitter, and all whole other hundred ways to avoid communicating face-to-face. The politically correct of this country are destroying this country, we live in an age where people think Will Ferrell is funny and races should have halftime breaks to sell more products and answer the door for garbage pizzas. I find a sense of humor is the only thing that keeps me going, that and a love of what this country used to be. Not overly sensitive, passive-aggressive politically correct know-it-alls, completely lacking of sense of humor types that exists only to take the wind out of other people's sails. Last time I checked this was supposed to be fun.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Dw's Cyclone Reply with quote

LOL!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the way of the world these days. Everybody communicates through email, and text, and Twitter, and all whole other hundred ways to avoid communicating face-to-face. The politically correct of this country are destroying this country, we live in an age where people think Will Ferrell is funny and races should have halftime breaks to sell more products and answer the door for garbage pizzas. I find a sense of humor is the only thing that keeps me going, that and a love of what this country used to be. Not overly sensitive, passive-aggressive politically correct know-it-alls, completely lacking of sense of humor types that exists only to take the wind out of other people's sails.

There all kinds of forums and websites where you can discuss all of that all day long. Not here. Stick to the nuts and bolts of building models or just move along. You are not going to get weeks and weeks of patience going back and forth, others who came before you set the bar, we didn't. You are not sitting at the bar or at a racetrack with your buddies where you can jab each other with insults, be it sarcastic or subtle. Confine it to model building, please.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Dw's Cyclone Reply with quote

Again, where is the line in between factual history and model building? Again I state, I've been a fan of Darrell Waltrip's since I was a kid and I first saw him on Wide World of Sports. I had a signed hero card I got from him at the 83 Daytona 500 after standing in line for 2 hours. It was a legitimate question relating to the history of this sport and if I'm a little bit sarcastic sorry it wasn't meant that way. Darrell Waltrip himself would admit that he has a huge ego. All race car drivers do. You guys realize this kind of attitude has run a lot of people off this form and with those people that have left that this forum you've lost a lot of history, versus fake cars built in Gastonia. I'm not joking this time and I'm not laughing. Every last word of that post was aimed at a couple of the moderators and long-time members here, you can now include yourself. So who agrees with me? I'm not trying to be a instigator, just a guy with an AMT 66 Fairlane trying to decide what decals to buy.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a instigator

Doing a good job so far.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: