Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lee Petty 53 Dodge color?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad3006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Lee Petty 53 Dodge color? Reply with quote

First I want to say, I really appreciate this resource. You guys are great!
I make 3d models of historic race cars and I love this place for reference photos and information.

Now, my latest question: What color(s) is Lee Petty's 1953 Dodge here? If I was guessing I'd say red, but it's just a guess.

[/img]
john843

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, every shot I've seen of that car is either a funky pinkish red or that red and white. I believe there's a restoration of that car out there, again with the hard to describe red.

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems deep enough to be the '53 Maroon color, which could look purplish in faded photos.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Here's a link to one of the many great historic YouTube videos shot by Julian Buesink, the owner of the car driven by 1950 champ, Bill Rexford.

This one is from the 1953 race at Langhorne, Pa. Lee is sponsored by a Monroesville car dealer.

Lee's red Dodge appears twice in close ups after the 1m 25 sec. mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXLKmIe8DfE

I've seen the other NASCAR and AAA racing videos from Darlington and Milwaukee Mile in 1953 and no sign of Lee's car. But if you dig announcer Bud Lindemann in his pomp, check 'em out.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the car looks to be "Esquire Red" Dodge paint code #582 it has a Dietzler number of 70408.
Dodge only had 2 colors in the "RED" spectrum in 53 this and Fiesta Maroon which is much darker than this...
chad3006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. The youtube film does seem to show the car as a deep red with white numbers and yellow lightening bolts on it. It also answered my question in another post about Curtis Turner's 53 Olds. It seems to be red also.
chad3006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
To me the car looks to be "Esquire Red" Dodge paint code #582 it has a Dietzler number of 70408.
Dodge only had 2 colors in the "RED" spectrum in 53 this and Fiesta Maroon which is much darker than this...

I found an example of a Dodge in the Esquire Red you mentioned and I think you are right about that. It appears to be a very similar red at least.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad3006 wrote:
hemiman_1999 wrote:

I found an example of a Dodge in the Esquire Red you mentioned and I think you are right about that. It appears to be a very similar red at least.
Esquire red is the correct color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: