Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripping the chrome from the Salvini Baker kits?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tko24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Stripping the chrome from the Salvini Baker kits? Reply with quote

So who's stripped the chrome plating from the chromed parts in their Salvini Baker Olds 442 kits and what brand chrome paint are you using to re-chrome those parts with?
tko24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only contemplating doing this this since there's been no replies so far? The reason I posted this question is because other than Adam's custom bumper set I'm building this first Salvini kit OOB as Baker's Daytona 500 winner which had black wheels, not chrome as they are in the kit. So I'm going to strip the chrome in the "magic purple power cleaner" which has always worked great for me in stripping chrome on NASCAR kits. But I'll obviously need to paint the resin bumper set and a few other parts in chrome paint. In the past I've always used Testors Chrome but would like to know if anyone has a better suggestion for chrome spray paint. I'm also trying to finally finish up my 1/16 Petty Charger in 1977 scheme using a combination of some 1/16 Slixx and the Powerslide decal set. My cancer surgery is in 2 weeks, and I'll be in therapy and recovery for quite a while before I'll be up to building again. So I'm kind of putting pressure on myself cramming this stuff into these 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'm currently on medical leave form the Coast Guard. My prognosis is very good, and I'm lucky in that my wife and kids enjoy my hobbies. I'm just trying to have some fun between now and surgey. So I'll try asking again, does anyone have a better option for Chrome spray paint for those bumpers than Testors Chrome? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a thread on here a few months back regarding the chrome, I think it was AdamtheWayne who had a suggestion on stripping it.
I believe that kit includes a second set of bare wheels.
As far as chrome paint, I hear goid things about Alcad as well as Molotow products. I have not used either, but hear alot about them.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tko, first off, good luck with your upcoming procedures, truly hope all goes well and for a quick recovery.
I too use the Testors Chrome for bumpers in the event they have to be redone.
(occasionally I'll use the bright chrome Bare Metal Foil to touch-up places such as where I've sanded off plate bracket detail or vertical bumper pads) The best results should be available using Alclad II sprayed over the proper base (black?) but since I don't airbrush, I've gotten by pretty well with the Testor's chrome.
One thing I have noticed about the Testor's is that it goes on thick but after it has cured fully there is a little room to buff it up to a slightly higher shine. In some cases I have applied Testor's gloss clear over the Testors chrome but if you go that route, make SURE the Chrome is dry and cured and that you start out with a couple of really thin coats of the clear with time to set up some between them or you will have a silver/clear slurry

Good Luck and keep us posted.

John
tko24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre, you're right, there is a second set of wheels in the kit that are bare, so that's a pretty nice extra in the kit. I didn't realize that until you mentioned it, and until I actually started building it a couple of days ago. Solves the problem of needing to strip the wheels for the "Gray Ghost". And I just used the Testor's chrome to redo the wheels in the 1/16 Petty Charger and I'm pretty happy with how they look. So I think I will use the Testors Chrome on Adam's resin bumpers. Thanks for the suggestions guys. The tumor pain has gotten worse, I was first supposed to have the surgery on the 3rd, but it had to be postponed and got pushed back all the way to the 22nd. Now because of the increased pain, which means it's probably gotten a little larger, they're trying to find a sooner date that's open on their schedules and works for all 3 surgeon's and an open O.R., but I'll probably have to wait until the 22nd. If so, at least it's only 10 more days. The surgery is gonna be a b#@ch, I'm not looking forward to it, but I want the tumor gone. So I'm doing a lot of praying about it. Thanks guys.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Chrome Reply with quote

TKO, sorry I've been out of it for a couple of weeks with work. The Salvino 442 uses a real metal chrome process, so there is no stripping it short of grinding it off, not a good option. Glad the wheel thing is working out for you.
I've tried Alclad Chrome, but still having trouble with it rubbing off a little.
I'm going to try some Molotow Chrome and try airbrushing at Adam Wayne's suggestion. Have it ordered, I'll post results when I get it done.

As for your tumor, you have my best thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

tom
tko24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
TKO, sorry I've been out of it for a couple of weeks with work. The Salvino 442 uses a real metal chrome process, so there is no stripping it short of grinding it off, not a good option. Glad the wheel thing is working out for you.
I've tried Alclad Chrome, but still having trouble with it rubbing off a little.
I'm going to try some Molotow Chrome and try airbrushing at Adam Wayne's suggestion. Have it ordered, I'll post results when I get it done.

As for your tumor, you have my best thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

tom

Thank you for the support and prayers. It's always a shock for anyone to find out they have cancer no matter what, but I've never smoked or chewed tobacco, so getting this diagnosis 1 year ago was like a 2x4 to the face. I'm not looking forward to the surgery, it's not gonna be easy, and neither will the recovery, but my prognosis is good for the type of cancer I have, it just didn't respond to the chemo and radiation as planned. But that was my choice as I had hoped to avoid the surgery by trying that route first, but the surgery is the usual way to treat this cancer. So now I'll have to go through with the surgery anyway, but I should come out of this fine. It's localized and hasn't spread anywhere, so that's another plus. I look forward to hearing about your results. I'm just glad that extra unplated wheels and parts were included in the kit. I'm enjoying the kit, I ended up buying 4, despite the wrong suspension for the Olds 442 , but I really hope on future kits they go with a more conventional approach on chrome plated parts. Thank you for the prayers.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took AdamtheWayne's advice on painting my resin bumper. I ordered the 30ml bottle of Molotow Chrome and sprayed it through my airbrush. I've tinkered with the pens, but this is my first time spraying. All I can say is WOW...won't be messing with Alclad anymore. I realize it has a bit of a long drying time, but it'll be worth it. I chromed some parts with my molotow pen and set them aside for a couple of weeks, now the chrome is permanent, and doesn't dull with handling. Hoping for the same result with the bumpers. Posted it here since part of this topic was about Chrome paint.

tko24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I took AdamtheWayne's advice on painting my resin bumper. I ordered the 30ml bottle of Molotow Chrome and sprayed it through my airbrush. I've tinkered with the pens, but this is my first time spraying. All I can say is WOW...won't be messing with Alclad anymore. I realize it has a bit of a long drying time, but it'll be worth it. I chromed some parts with my molotow pen and set them aside for a couple of weeks, now the chrome is permanent, and doesn't dull with handling. Hoping for the same result with the bumpers. Posted it here since part of this topic was about Chrome paint.

That does look pretty good. Did you airbrush it straight from the bottle, or did you have to thin it out with something first to airbrush.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from the bottle. I'm hoping it dries in 2 or 3 days to where it can be handled. Tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Straight from the bottle. I'm hoping it dries in 2 or 3 days to where it can be handled. Tb
Remember, the thinner the coat, the quicker it dries. This stuff is one coat and done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: