Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another mprmprmpr Decals/printer update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Another mprmprmpr Decals/printer update. Reply with quote

Well, I've done it again. I can never leave well enough alone, and or I'm a glutton for punishment. I just purchased another new (and better) printer for printing my decals. The big difference is that this one will print the color over the white underlay like traditional decals on one sheet. So no more dealing with two sheets, one color and one white sheet. Some people, myself included, don't mind that method, but some aren't fond of it. I will be able to supply an underlay sheet for dark colored cars if needed. Better quality, easier to use. Win, win IMO.

And once again the new printer is not a cheap endeavor. I will be selling my old Oki C711WT on eBay at some point in the near future once I get the new set up up and running. If anyone here is interested in the old printer set up PM me. I will do a great deal if anyone here is interested and also give training on how to use it. They can be tricky if you don't know how to set them up to print decals, especially the white layer. Keep in mind with this set up it is a two sheet process. One color and one white.

I'd also like to thank all of you who have supported me and my decals. Sometimes I'm not even sure why I keep going. Seems like every time I get a little ahead I buy a new printer and I'm right back in debt. But I guess that's my fault. LOL

Mark
mprmprmpr
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Sir!
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Good luck Sir!

I'll need it...

Last edited by mprmprmpr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand........my catalog is around 250 different sets.....and I need to make a call soon myself. I either gotta spend some cash...or shut it down.
I have a good amount of stock on hand....but out of some that sell well.....so....call me unsure..... Shocked
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, thanks again for the hookup. Will be in touch soon for an order.
Shunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Rows, look forward to seeing what you come up with
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!!! ok Mark, I'm ready to order when you're ready to print. Others can say what they want, but I'd rather use your decals over everything else I've tried so far, I've never had an issue with your product and they lay so good and lay tight and wrap perfectly. Text me when you're ready for an order Very Happy.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
Yay!!! ok Mark, I'm ready to order when you're ready to print. Others can say what they want, but I'd rather use your decals over everything else I've tried so far, I've never had an issue with your product and they lay so good and lay tight and wrap perfectly. Text me when you're ready for an order Very Happy.

I should have the printer early next week. Tracking shows it arriving on Monday. It'll probably take me a few days to get it sorted out. I'll keep you, and everyone else posted.

bigryan18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the product..
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type printer are you getting?
Bill
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same the laser printer I have but modified to print the white under the color in one pass. It also comes with software to modify and optimize the color, and more importantly manipulate the white toner among other things. The Oki C711WT I currently have will only print the white over the color. The painful part is, if you know how much it costs to purchase the Oki printer that I currently have..... this new one costs more.. Ouch!! Hopefully I'll sell a lot of decals .. LOL

martinfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome !!
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news Mark. I always look forward to your decals.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eagle has landed. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to start figuring this thing out. I'll post any progress and or some pictures of test prints when I have them. Fingers crossed.

mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the printer put together, set up, installed drivers, etc last night. Ran a test page and a few simple color sheets. Tonight I start working on printing with white. Hopefully it will go smooth.

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works smooth for you Mark, I love your decals. Do you have scan capabilities? I have a couple of older sheets I'm afraid to touch would love to have them scanned and made into new sheets
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of scanning decal sheets and reprinting them. For one, that's how my decals (and others) are ripped off and re sold. Plus, the quality is never great. In the past I have re-engineered old sheets by using the old sheet as a template and re doing all of the artwork from scratch. Not a quick or easy process but that is one way of reproducing an old sheet. Plus they can be tweaked, corrected and improved.

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am late to the Party but what name are you decals sold under?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
I'm not a fan of scanning decal sheets and reprinting them. For one, that's how my decals (and others) are ripped off and re sold. Plus, the quality is never great. In the past I have re-engineered old sheets by using the old sheet as a template and re doing all of the artwork from scratch. Not a quick or easy process but that is one way of reproducing an old sheet. Plus they can be tweaked, corrected and improved.

Agreed...I can draw new art faster than clean up a scan of old decals.
THAT ebay seller is a scan and print garbage.....
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close. A small setback that has nothing to do with the printer. A second supplier I use for is laser paper compatible with this printer has also discontinued this type of paper. I still have a few other options though.

mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update... I had an issue with one of the toner drums and of course it was the white drum. I was getting a sensor error that wouldn't allow me to print white. I had to send it back for them to look at. They got back to me this morinig and told me it looks like it may have been damaged in shipping so they are sending me a new one free of charge. I should have it in the next day or two. I'll update again once I have it and start running some test prints.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roseanne Roseannadanna : It's always something!
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't implying I was trying to copyright infringe or anything like that, I have a couple of older kit decals that I just know are going to crack and this dang Moroso Olds decal sheet, I've been through 4 sets already with the same result, cleared and not cleared it doesn't matter, they still crack on me. I have this one built, just put away until a better decal option comes along Very Happy
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HurricaneDave3 wrote:
I wasn't implying I was trying to copyright infringe or anything like that, I have a couple of older kit decals that I just know are going to crack and this dang Moroso Olds decal sheet, I've been through 4 sets already with the same result, cleared and not cleared it doesn't matter, they still crack on me. I have this one built, just put away until a better decal option comes along Very Happy

I understood what you meant, I was just saying "decal scanning" makes decal makers cringe. We've all been ripped of that way. It's generally easier to just start from scratch.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
I understood what you meant, I was just saying "decal scanning" makes decal makers cringe. We've all been ripped of that way. It's generally easier to just start from scratch.

There is a wolf on ebay with 100% scanned decals...... Evil or Very Mad
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the toner and drum today so I'm back in business (no pun intended). I'll be doing some testing with the white toner tonight. Updates to follow.

mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've finally had some time to work with the new printer. I've been experimenting and printing test sheets and I'm really happy with the results. With more time and practice I may get even better results, although they look great right now. But I'll keep trying new things to see if I can improve on it.

Being able to print white under the color is a game changer, and makes the color graphics look better and pop more. I'm a little disappointed with the white when it's a stand alone graphic as of right now. It is much better than before, but could be better so I'll keep working at it. To to remedy that I will be including white underlays for the white and lighter color graphics on some of the sheets where it's needed. That way the white and light colored graphics will be much more opaque and it will help with bleed thru issues. It will effectively be two layers of white. I was hoping to be able to print all of my decals on single sheets but for right now some will still require a separate underlay sheet even with the white layer printed under the color. It will cost me more to print this way but it will result in better decals and I will be keeping the price the same as before.

The biggest worry right now is decal paper. It seems that all of the US suppliers have stopped selling laser paper that is compatible with this type of laser printer. It's the same paper used for Alps printers. I currently found a new supplier in China but it would be much easier to find another source in the USA.

Anyway, for better or worse, I'm going forward with the new printer until or unless something better comes along that I can afford. Hopefully I'll get this one paid off before that happens. LOL.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there......
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are getting things under control, will be in touch shortly for an order.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the stand alone white you may have to do a second layer of Opaque White but it must be printed last as no other printing will stick to it. With my printers typically a second layer of plain white will combine with the first layer and end up very spotty.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
On the stand alone white you may have to do a second layer of Opaque White but it must be printed last as no other printing will stick to it. With my printers typically a second layer of plain white will combine with the first layer and end up very spotty.

What printer are you using? What toner? I havent had that issue..

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! I can't wait to get your decals again, best decals I've ever used. They lay so flat and easy to use, even for a sausage fingered guy like myself Laughing
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
hemiman_1999 wrote:

Hi I am using Alps Printers I have a MD-1000 a 2010-4000 and a MD-5500 I assumed you are using an alps or similar type but if you using a toner you are using some type I am not familiar with. Epson had or has a laser jet that is supposed to print white but they are having all kinds of problems with the white because they can't keep it white when they do get a run that is correct the next run is a dirty white I know one person in the UK that has one he says the white cartridges have been on back order off and on since last year...
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
mprmprmpr wrote:
hemiman_1999 wrote:

Hi I am using Alps Printers I have a MD-1000 a 2010-4000 and a MD-5500 I assumed you are using an alps or similar type but if you using a toner you are using some type I am not familiar with. Epson had or has a laser jet that is supposed to print white but they are having all kinds of problems with the white because they can't keep it white when they do get a run that is correct the next run is a dirty white I know one person in the UK that has one he says the white cartridges have been on back order off and on since last year...

I'm laser printing all of my decals now. I haven't used an Alps for years, although I still have one. The downside to laser printing white is the expense of both the printers and the white toner. But they are much more durable than and Alps printer and can print at a higher resolution. The laser printed decals themselves are more durable than Alps printed decals. So I'm going to keep moving forward with my laser printer. I'm not bashing Alps printers, I used them for years and you can produce great decals with them. Laser is just a better option for me.

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand printer are you using this is an option I explored earlier this last summer but did not find anything I felt was a viable option. Also what name do you sell your decals under? Mine are SMP I do mostly Drag Racing from the late 50s to the mid 70s I do a few Stock cars mostly from the early 60s
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
What brand printer are you using this is an option I explored earlier this last summer but did not find anything I felt was a viable option. Also what name do you sell your decals under? Mine are SMP I do mostly Drag Racing from the late 50s to the mid 70s I do a few Stock cars mostly from the early 60s

I'm currently using a modified Oki C711WT printer. As I said, they are expensive. With the modifications and software the are about $3500. I sure hope I sell lots of decals. I sell under the name mprmprmpr decals. They are only available through Mike's Decals and myself.

thenderson0728

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a sheet of Mark's new decals the other day. Thanks again Mark!

What I can say is they are really well done! Much higher resolution that they were. The new decal paper that he is using allows them to lay down and conform to the model very well. One thing I can say is I am glad he provided me with a set of white underlay decals to put on the darker areas. With them and the decal it all but eliminated the bleed through. Unfortunately I have no means to upload photos here and I'm not going to pay a site to allow me to do it, otherwise I'd post pics of the build I used them on. Keep an eye out on the Facebook groups for me I will post there this afternoon after I get home from work. I'm building Dale Jr's Valvoline throwback with the decals he sent to me. Will not be the last set I get from Mark, that's for sure. The new decals are leaps and bounds better than his old ones, so if you enjoyed those, you'll love these.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really happy with then new decals. The new setup does make for better decals. And I could probably "get away" without the underlays with this printer, but the final product is so much better with them so I'm going to still supply them. Over some colors they may not be needed but I will include them with all of my decals with the exception of cars that have a white base color.

Here's a fantasy diecast I'm working on using decals made with the new printer. I haven't cleared it yet. Even with the crappy cell phone pictures you can see that the white is very opaque and the colors pop. The picture is a little washed out, but you get the idea.

Can you guess what I'll be drinking tonight??? LOL.

thenderson0728

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, Can't wait to see what else you will come up with.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice......hope you sell lots of decals.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work, and you've definitely gotten the hang of the new printer! Bacardi and Coke on a Friday night sounds like a good idea.
scooter64

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacardi and coke...

i see what you did there...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good

I am curious what the new printer you got, can you give me a link or model name/number ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: