Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/16 AMT 1984 Petty Repost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: 1/16 AMT 1984 Petty Repost Reply with quote

I'm re-posting this one from 2 years ago and I will try to do my best in remembering all the details.

I built this to resemble the 200th win car from the 1984 Firecracker 400.

Body & chassis:
AMT Pontiac Grand Prix STP 1/16

Decals:
#43 STP Richard Petty 1985 Grand Prix 1/16 Scale from Mike's Decals.
I made most of the contingencies needed and converted the 1985 stripes to the 1984 style stripes. And I still haven't made the Curb Records decal for the C-pillar. The one from the 1985 sheet does not say "Curb Records" and I did not catch it until I was about to put the last decal on.
Also, I had to make my own Jensen decal for the trunk and it does not have white background.

Paint:
Tamiya TS-23 Light Blue, Tamiya TS-36 Fluor. Red and I painted white before the red and left some of the decal backgrounds in white, but I'm not sure of that paint. Most likely it was a Tamiya white for compatibility.

Build/Modification Notes:
The biggest modification I made to the body was to add a strip of evergreen to the bottom of the fenders in front of the front wheels. The photos below should help show where I added to the body.
I had to do a lot of shaving to the top of the roll cage to get the body down in the chassis like I wanted it. I also raked the nose down a bit, mainly by brute force. Once I had the nose like I wanted and the body down on the cage, I ran into interference with the air cleaner and radiator. I just removed the carb and glued the air cleaner to the intake. I believe I just shaved down the radiator.
I also did some shaving on the grill so that it sat farther back into the nose and not look so big and thick. Out of the box, it just did not look right.
To get the stance I wanted, I shaved the springs and shortened the shocks until it looked and sat correctly. I may have had to do a few other things that I can't recall at the moment.
The window net is made from masking tape.

Before adding to the fender

Hatched area shows where I added to the fender

Thanks for looking!

John
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice neat build!!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I have the Nationwise kit sitting around that I really have to get done.
randy ayers
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: