Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fine mesh for nascar screens, where do you get yours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: fine mesh for nascar screens, where do you get yours? Reply with quote

Title says it all. I need a good, scale screen material. Not liking the copper stuff.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a lot of different things. If you don't like metal you may want to try cloth!! My wife sews and I had here find a super fine cloth. Look at high thread count cotton. You can glue it to sheet stock if using it in a master or even soak in white glue then put in place. I'll try and get some photos of models I used it on.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. I like the metal, I would just prefer the stainless mesh I've seen on so many build ups.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used screen from a reusable coffee filter basket.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck lately using the Slixx screen sheets that came out a year or so ago. Of course they won't work in every application but when you can apply it directly to a suitable surface, it looks great.
In addition, each screen sheet comes with some black/silver pinstriping that has worked well for me on the OUTSIDE of the windshield braces on the early '80s Monograms. It covers that distorted line that the extra thickness of the molded-in brace causes and when hunkered down with some Solv-a-Set, is hard to tell whether it's under the glass or over it.

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:

I just bought some of that off ebay. It's 100 micron mesh. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

But it looked good and it was cheap, so we'll see.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
I've had good luck lately using the Slixx screen sheets that came out a year or so ago. Of course they won't work in every application but when you can apply it directly to a suitable surface, it looks great.
In addition, each screen sheet comes with some black/silver pinstriping that has worked well for me on the OUTSIDE of the windshield braces on the early '80s Monograms. It covers that distorted line that the extra thickness of the molded-in brace causes and when hunkered down with some Solv-a-Set, is hard to tell whether it's under the glass or over it.

John
I like that idea. Another thing you can do with kit windows is dip them in futureshine. Somehow the self levelling formula makes the windows a little clearer and less distorted.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Firefly wrote:

I just bought some of that off ebay. It's 100 micron mesh. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

But it looked good and it was cheap, so we'll see.

That’s what I use on my cars. Micron is a measurement of the holes in the mesh. The higher the number the finer the mesh.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bunch in, thanks to a member here, and some from ebay. I like the 100 for models and the 200 micron works nice on slot cars. Thanks for all the info guys.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different materials, microns, and patterns of the mesh screen, as with the real thing. We used to get our various mesh screens from McMaster Carr, and Grainger, when I was the Parts Manager at several Cup Teams. I think they offer the mesh in the sizes, and patterns you may need. Just add some PE strips for mounting points around the mesh perimeters of the grille work.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Mesh grills Reply with quote

Some years ago, I ordered some squares of metal mesh grill material from Model Empire and I believe it was Detail Master brand. They had a couple of different gauges of it and it was really nice stuff, very accurate but extremely hard to work with. The bending it to shape part wasn't bad but cutting it was a bear.
Rich Sipos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used oil burner pump filters, it is a very fine mesh. You can pick it up at Lowes, Home Depot and some hardware stores.
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using mesh that I got from McMaster-Carr that are both 12"x12" sheets that last a long time. I think the 84x84 refers to wires per inch, with the higher number being a finer mesh.

Item# 9230T68 ($4.17)

High-Volume Particle-Filtering Stainless Steel Wire Cloth Woven, 316 Stainless Steel, 84x84 Mesh,.0035" Wire Diameter, 12" X12"

Item# 9230T59 ($5.11)

High-Volume Particle-Filtering Stainless Steel Wire Cloth Woven, 316 Stainless Steel, 50x50 Mesh, .0055" Wire Diameter, 12" X12"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: