Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olds 442 bodywork.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
Finished roughing in the new grille. I might add a little more plastic to the outer sides of the grill socket. Not sure yet.

Here's how I did the sides. I used .030 bar stock to outline. I didn't go all the way into the quarter panel because you want to taper that in.

Next, use some 2" tape and place it's edge where you want your belt line to be.

Transfer that to some .010 sheet, matching the straight edges. Cut your top edge and test fir until it fits the way you want and the leading edge tucks in behind the bar stock at the nose.

Cut reliefs in the plastic over the wheel wells, but don't cut into the sheet that goes over the fenders. Roll the plastic down over the doors, gluing as you go. DO NOT use gap filler. Use a skim coat of Testors tube glue for styrene or super glue gel. After the skin is over the door you can work your way around the fenders. Sand to taste,\.

adam could you go into a little more detail on how you finished the front fenders here? it looks like once you cleared the door you ran the strip up on top of the fender and down the front of the bumper. that would cause a ridge on the hood side of the fender. did you putty up the top of the fender to the height of the strip or was there a ridge running along the front fender with a valley between the ridge and the hood? you have any photos of this process, not too familiar with this body.
also are you going to cast these bumpers for sale?

thanks, joe
Joe, the .030 bar stock I used should run along the side of the fender and nose clip, right along the top edge. Because of the shape of the plastic stock and the roll of the fender, if you follow the edge closely, it will leave a little bit of the bar stock riding a hair higher than the fender top. Sand directly across the fender and door tops to make the new plastic level with the fender tops and hood. Fill any gaps in the body work with spot and glazing putty.

I will be making these bumpers available for those who bought the first run kit.
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most definitely want a couple sets of bumpers!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving them a final cleanup while live PD is on. I'll get them in the box mold around midnight tonight. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just poured the mold plug @1:45 eastern. I'll have test shots to show by 8pm. Smile
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee what's taking ya so long?? Just kidding...Adam, I don't know where you find the energy! Can't wait to see your bumpers.

tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Gee what's taking ya so long?? Just kidding...Adam, I don't know where you find the energy! Can't wait to see your bumpers.

tb
Well you know Tom, it's not easy I have to say. Between the yo-yo tournament and the ping pong inquest, I have to officiate at my alma-mater's reunion soon. I went to Drunken State University and graduated valedictorian. I was in the fraternity tapa kega day and our fight song was "Tequila" because it was the only one everyone could remember the words to. Then of course there's mom's Harley races on the 15th and I have to make sure her bike is tuned because she has to go straight from the race to the dojo, even if she wins!

All this weighs on me heavily due to a recent run of bad luck. My imaginary girlfriend and I got into an argument, because the lady at Harbor Freight asked for my number right in front of her. Then I got caught cheating on an I.Q. test and as if that wasn't bad enough, the vet had to put my pet cricket down due to restless leg syndrome.

But I have plenty of models and Pepsi so... it evens out. Wink
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow. I can see where engineering bumpers is s real stress reliever. I see Salvinos is re-engineering bumpers and the grille for the 442, but they wont be in the Donnie Allison release as I understand it.

Tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. Jim is an amazingly energetic guy and spends A LOT of time at the cad program. Even he has his limits though and regular travel between Cali and Texas has got to be a drain!

I do know they'll get the updated suspension and bumpers into the process as soon as they can. I tried learning cad once, because I thought it would help with the upcoming 3d printers. I went to one class and didn't sleep nearly a week. So my hat is off to Jim for what he has to do.

The following is a public service announcement. It shouldn't need to be said, but I'm going to power through it anyway.

GOOD day at the booth.

BAAAAAAD day in the booth!

The moral here is... if you put the caps back on your spray paints, you won't gloss coat your Olds with FLAT!! I had a similar looking can of metallic red nearby, it's a good job I didn't grab that.
Embarassed
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. I shot flat black all over a car once because I got the cans mixed up.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I feel your pain. I shot flat black all over a car once because I got the cans mixed up.
I got really lucky. At least I can still gloss coat this one. Sounds like you boned yourself pretty good. Pulling the molds from the pressure pot and pouring a test in fifteen. Very Happy
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Tom Birky wrote:
I got really lucky. At least I can still gloss coat this one. Sounds like you boned yourself pretty good. Pulling the molds from the pressure pot and pouring a test in fifteen. Very Happy

DUDE!!! YOU"RE A MACHINE!!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
Tom Birky wrote:

DUDE!!! YOU"RE A MACHINE!!!!
(Insert innapropriate EX girlfriend joke here). Wink

Okay guys, please feel free to IGNORE the bubbles. Production pieces won't have them. I'm pretty happy with them, but the front bumper needs a tiny tweak. Now that I have a solid piece to work from I can straighten a couple little things that annoy me Twisted Evil , and have a perfect mold by this time tomorrow.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are amazing and a huge improvement! I've got to work on my scratch building skills.

tb
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are amazing and a huge improvement! I've got to work on my scratch building skills.

tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:

tb
Thank you. (So nice he said it twice! Razz )

I am going to make these available for the low low price of free. Here's the catch: The post office now charges a bare minimum no matter what I ship. I could literally wrap these in a label and ship them and it would cost the same. SO, to cover my boxes and labels I am asking postage only for each set. These are not "My Pillows" (Dear god I wish he'd go away and take the Ford truck commercials with them!) So PM me if you need a set or two and I'll fill you in.

I like Salvinos and I want them to keep doing what they're doing. Hopefully with these available, guys who put theirs on the shelf because of the bumpers might give the kit a second chance, or some guys who don't want to wait for the update kit.
Now that I've made it over this hurdle, I can get down to putting these the rest of the way together. Smile

I have to say, so far I've enjoyed putting these together. The fit is excellent and I've only had one problem which was getting the chassis halves in the right notch.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE casting job. I always wanted to try that. Have you worked with resin before? It looks like it. That back bumper looks perfect.
I would love to buy two back bumpers. I live in Iowa. Let me know the cost and I will get payment to you.

Don
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
NICE casting job. I always wanted to try that. Have you worked with resin before? It looks like it. That back bumper looks perfect.
I would love to buy two back bumpers. I live in Iowa. Let me know the cost and I will get payment to you.

Don
Thank you. I have actually been working with silicones and resins for about 25 years or a little more. I've been a freelance pattern maker most of that time. As a young'un, my best friends dad was a city engineer. One day we saw him with a huge pile of plastic strips and sheets and I asked him what he was doing? He said he was going to build a model of the new municipal building. I wasn't buying it and we went on to play with slot cars. Next day he already had two stories of a proposed four story building. I spent the rest of that day watching him build and I've been making my own stuff since. Smile

Don't stroke my ego too hard over the rear bumper. It was a simple cut down of an original Johan unit. I just removed the bumper guards and glued it back together.

If you want two rears I can treat that as one set. Please private message me for information.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleanup is all done and I surprised myself at how smooth the castings came out. I going to grab some lunch and the finalized parts will go in the mold. Tomorrow I'll hit a couple of them with some Molotow and post the pics. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe not a smooth as I thought. These will need some sanding and a little paint before you try any chrome. I'll clean a pair up later and get some paint and Molotow on it to see how they do.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round of bumpers, is away!

Make sure to wash them well before painting. I typically will soak them for about five minutes, in Dawn and warm water. then scrub with an old toothbrush to make sure the grooves in the trim are clean.

I recommend painting the body color first, then mask and spray or apply chrome. Cheers!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much?? thx
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO!! To anybody trying this for themselves, I fibbed at you! That is NOT the Johan rear bumper it is from the Revell Monte Carlo. Sorry for the confusion.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Bumpers Reply with quote

Adam, the bumpers are amazing and will improve the look of the 442 x 100!

Hope I can lay down some nice chrome!

tb
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Adam, the bumpers are amazing and will improve the look of the 442 x 100!

Hope I can lay down some nice chrome!

tb
I can't wait to see what you guys do with them.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are likely saying to yourselves, these are cool for Petty and like, one other guy. What about the guys who had the bumper shields?

Here's version 2.

Proof positive...

That I...

Can't take a picture...

To save my flippin life! Laughing
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are better.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better peek at the version 2 bumpers. I really gotta try and work in the daytime more!

At this point, I have one more piece planned. It will be a new grille for the Salvinos Olds.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you guys have a Monogram, 1984 Grand Prix clip and grille, I could put it to good use. Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay gang, I've finally started casting bumpers and seats tonight. I'll start shipping Friday.

The new nose clip is coming along nicely. I think you'll like it.*

That trash in the rear bumper is my fault for priming at the humidity level I did. Some of the bumpers might have a pinhole in the license cover plate. I am fixing this and making a new mold so that will be gone in the near future.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A round of bumpers and seats went out today. More tomorrow. Due to overwhelming response (Thank you!) This offer is now closed, sorry if you got in too late, they are available now on an auction site.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last of the bumper and seat sets went out today. I just know there are screwups! If you are unhappy with your parts, consider your purchase price refunded. Smile
Just let me know once you've recieved yours, if you didn't get what you requested. I'll square it up.

The response has been phenomenal. I thank you all for the kind words about my parts, but the weakness in my eyes and hands is starting to show. However, I enjoy what I do and have a really great relationship with the team at Salvinos group. So I'll be around for a while, batting cleanup whenever needed.

The nose clip will be done soon, sorry for that delay. But tonight? Imma work on sump'n fer me!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am so embarrassed! I just found five addresses of requests that didn't go out so, Dave, Jim, Brian, John and Canadian John, they're all in the mail in the morning.

I do not mean "Canadian" John in any kind of malicious way, it's just an identifier. I'm still going to send you the bumpers, even though you stinkers sent us Bieber. I mean why? Tell us what we did, we won't do it again, we promise! I mean, SNL hasn't poked fun at you in years. We fully respect your syrup and to best of my knowledge nobody has mockingly uttered "Eh?" in over a decade so... take him back? Please?
john2018

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you AdamtheWayne, I've been lurking around here since 2009 and I went by johnnyk before the forum went down. I have finally been inspired to post a reply. I never heard of Justin Bieber before he moved south, just saying!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2018 wrote:
Thank you AdamtheWayne, I've been lurking around here since 2009 and I went by johnnyk before the forum went down. I have finally been inspired to post a reply. I never heard of Justin Bieber before he moved south, just saying!
Okay... but I'm still holding you reaponsible for Shatner! Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, my current project is: Finishing the Olds nose, Grand Prix 2+2 conversion and a Regal to Cutlass version.

If you have a moment and a couple pics, I need a front and rear shot of a 1980 to 84 Cutlass stocker. Thanks for all the support guys.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Money orders Reply with quote

Hey bud, after several bad experiences I do not deal with PayPal or eBay yes it is a pain in the ass not dealing with them but I'm not going to do business with people who ripped me off for seller's fees at the level they did. Would it be possible to send you a money order for the stuff I need , bumpers and grill for the Oldsmobile in particular. What is your eBay seller name so I can find you and see what you have currently available?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: