Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chevelle dirt tracker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Chevelle dirt tracker Reply with quote

Just finished this one for a Facebook group build.

Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! I have one of these half finished in a box somewhere. Yours makes me want to dig it out.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it !!!!!!
Fantastic job on this!!!!

Cool Cool Cool Cool
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the old AMT Modified Stocker kit of the Malibu....but the body needs to have a chassis under it other than the kit one....seeing this build, I think I may know what kit to use as donor for the chassis....if I have enough of them,....
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking model. Loved watching the style car run on our area short tracks back in the day
Bill
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensat71: it's an Amt Cup chassis with the roll cage re worked to fit better. Remove the top of the rear wheel humps and trim the dash sides a bit.

sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66...
thanks for the tip....on using an AMT NASCAR kit...
just ordered one....
Was thinking about using one of the old MPC Super Stocker kits, but decided to try this instead, as old NASCAR kits are rather cheap these days versus the Super Stocker kits....

But this was only one stumbling block....the other is I have no decent pics of the car I'd like to try to replicate. IF I were to try and build a replica of this car, it would not be an exact replica, just something I'd like to try my way.

For the Malibu in mind, go to www.fairmontspeedwayarchives.org,
look for pictures tab. go to the 1971 season and look for a #2 Malibu with drivers, Bob Weber and Les Wilden as drivers....
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Gary66...
thanks for the tip....on using an AMT NASCAR kit...
just ordered one....
Was thinking about using one of the old MPC Super Stocker kits, but decided to try this instead, as old NASCAR kits are rather cheap these days versus the Super Stocker kits....

But this was only one stumbling block....the other is I have no decent pics of the car I'd like to try to replicate. IF I were to try and build a replica of this car, it would not be an exact replica, just something I'd like to try my way.

For the Malibu in mind, go to www.fairmontspeedwayarchives.org,
look for pictures tab. go to the 1971 season and look for a #2 Malibu with drivers, Bob Weber and Les Wilden as drivers....

IMHO, sometimes less reference photos can be a blessing in disguise as you can build to 'the look' and not worry so much about the details.

I just looked at those photos and I'm thinking it looks like a stock chassis car, so you could probably build it using a kit of a '64-'67 GM A-body that has the frame molded separately. Remove all the trunk sheet metal from the floor pan back, and either use a cage from another kit or build your own using Evergreen stock tubing. Some sheet plastic to build a rear firewall and a generic fuel cell should get you close. You would need some wide-5 wheels from whomever is making them now (PPP?) and you're off to the races. The AMT NASCAR kit chassis can be made to be close enough as well, since you don't know the details of the chassis. Wink

The biggest problem I can see is getting a '64 body or modifying a '65 to look like a '64, though the later pics have the grille removed so you could get away shaping the fenders and tail light areas I think - the body damage helps in that you don't have to try to get the lines 100% correct, as long as you add some damage to make it look realistic.

Neat project!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The biggest problem I can see is getting a '64 body or modifying a '65 to look like a '64, though the later pics have the grille removed so you could get away shaping the fenders and tail light areas I think - the body damage helps in that you don't have to try to get the lines 100% correct, as long as you add some damage to make it look realistic.

You can sqaure up the front edge of the front fenders, and square off the front edge of the hood, and find a flat straight bumper from another kit, that'll make it close to a '64.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary
Where did you get the hood scoop?
Thanks
Bill
Gary Davis

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...thought I'd posted on this outstanding build, Great job on this cool looking chevelle Gary.

I've been a member since 2006
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!!! Nice work, and attention to detail. AMT's '65 Chevelle Modified Stocker will build a decent kit of a race car of this type out of the box. However, I like what Gary66 did with his build, as its more accurate, and detailed than the basic kit previously mentioned. Those '64, and '65 Chevelles made some nice looking Sportsman, Limited Sportsman, and ARCA race cars, back in the days. I really like the way you kit bashed your build, and thanks so very much for sharing with us.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did you get the hood scoop?

It's the one that comes with the kit body, the Amt Modified Stocker Chevelle.
Zappatos07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chevelle dirt tracker Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
Just finished this one for a Facebook group build.

rembourser crédit

good good Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: