Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a rumor or....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Just a rumor or.... Reply with quote

Will the Salvino group be doing the mentioned possible kits of the '71 Ply Roadrunner(?) GTX(?) along with the '71 Charger as NASCAR releases down the road?
Those two along with the '74 Charger might get me to save up some $$ for those.
Primarilly because R2/AMT/MPC do not seem to be interested in re-popping the '71 Ply and Dodge bodies for their NASCAR reissued kits in the last few years.....??
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are looking into the Plymouth, the Charger (NOT the '71) and the MAGNUM. If they want to be gap fillers though, both the Roadrunner and Charger are unnecessary. I don't think I can stand another debacle like the PL Petty Charger.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
They are looking into the Plymouth, the Charger (NOT the '71) and the MAGNUM. If they want to be gap fillers though, both the Roadrunner and Charger are unnecessary. I don't think I can stand another debacle like the PL Petty Charger.

I think the Plymouth and the Charger could be gap fillers, if done well.

I don't consider the Polar Lights Charger to be filling any gap, as the body was so terrible. So for a '73/74 Charger you're left with finding an original MPC NASCAR kit or find the last release of the street version (mold had been converted from the NASCAR), which hasn't been out in 20 or 30(?) years. Then you still have to convert it back to a race car.

There is no 1:25 '71/72 Satellite/Road Runner currently available to convert into a NASCAR, and the last MPC stock version hasn't been in production in a long time. The original NASCAR version is even harder (i.e. $$$) to find.

I would love to see a race version of either car right out of the box - I'd have no problem spending my money on either one (or both...).

A Magnum would be a nice gap filler, but for me the appeal is limited as the car had such a short lifespan, and wasn't overly successful (prompting Petty to switch to GM...).

Just my 2¢ on the matter...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

I don't consider the Polar Lights Charger to be filling any gap, as the body was so terrible. So for a '73/74 Charger you're left with finding an original MPC NASCAR kit or find the last release of the street version (mold had been converted from the NASCAR), which hasn't been out in 20 or 30(?) years. Then you still have to convert it back to a race car.

There is no 1:25 '71/72 Satellite/Road Runner currently available to convert into a NASCAR, and the last MPC stock version hasn't been in production in a long time. The original NASCAR version is even harder (i.e. $$$) to find.

I would love to see a race version of either car right out of the box - I'd have no problem spending my money on either one (or both...).

A Magnum would be a nice gap filler, but for me the appeal is limited as the car had such a short lifespan, and wasn't overly successful (prompting Petty to switch to GM...).

I get where you're coming from. Although don't discount the Monogram Plymouths or AMT Chargers. These are what most have been using these past years.

My hope for the Roadrunner, is the trend they are starting with the Monte Carlo, in that they include both '71 and '72 bumpers. The Petty kit was incorrect for the car they moceled because of this.

Same could go for the Charger. With the only real difference between the '73 Charger and the '74 on up, was the front bumper and engine. I'm hoping they'll include the extra bumper incase someone wants to do a '73. I also have high hopes they WON'T stick a HEMI in the kit. Definitely in the Roadrunner though!

The MAGNUM is a passion of mine. It may have limited appeal but one must consider two things. Diehard MOPAR NASCAR fans. And it would be the only game in town for a styrene kit, causing overflow into the street car market as people buy them in hopes of making a street car.

I do take back my original statement about the Charger and Roadrunner, I would like to see them done. I guess I'm just a little jaded.
drppr76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark C- I think both the Plymouth and the Charger would be good gap fillers- the PL chassis might be useful but that Charger body was pretty warped- hopefully if it is released it's closer to the mpc body
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC when MPC did their NASCAR version of the Petty Charger, the body was NOT race modified, but the street version of that body.....That's when I started losing interest in building those kits, except for the Brooks #22 Daytona with the "305CI" engine under the hood, though that kit did come with a Hemi as an option....By the time AMT and Monogram started coming out with the newer NASCAR kits, I was not building any more, Plus lost the MRN connection as the radio station that carried it decided to become the radio station for the LA Lakers BB team....
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

I get where you're coming from. Although don't discount the Monogram Plymouths or AMT Chargers. These are what most have been using these past years.

My hope for the Roadrunner, is the trend they are starting with the Monte Carlo, in that they include both '71 and '72 bumpers. The Petty kit was incorrect for the car they moceled because of this.

Same could go for the Charger. With the only real difference between the '73 Charger and the '74 on up, was the front bumper and engine. I'm hoping they'll include the extra bumper incase someone wants to do a '73. I also have high hopes they WON'T stick a HEMI in the kit. Definitely in the Roadrunner though!

The MAGNUM is a passion of mine. It may have limited appeal but one must consider two things. Diehard MOPAR NASCAR fans. And it would be the only game in town for a styrene kit, causing overflow into the street car market as people buy them in hopes of making a street car.

I do take back my original statement about the Charger and Roadrunner, I would like to see them done. I guess I'm just a little jaded.

Good points. I tend to discount the Monogram '71 Road Runner/GTX because it's scale is a little larger - usually this is a very small point for me, but I like to display NASCARs together and there is a noticeable difference in size between the Monogram Plymouth and the MPC version - but I agree that it is the best choice currently and does result in nice NASCAR conversions.

The AMT Charger is a '71, and although it can be fudged to represent a '73/74, there are enough differences to justify a kit for those who aren't comfortable with this type of conversion, IMHO. There are differences in body lines and bumpers that are not as easy to make right, but it depends on how far you want to go and what is a reasonable fudge (again, IMHO).

My statement about the Magnum probably seems a little harsh, and doesn't reflect exactly how I feel about it. I would love to see one kitted, and would definitely buy one, but personally the '71 - 74 body styles have more appeal to me and were more successful on the track, and that's what I was intending to convey.

Overall, I'd be happy with a new release of any of the kits you mentioned, as long as the bodies are done well enough that they look like the actual subject, and not what PL offered us for a Charger.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
IIRC when MPC did their NASCAR version of the Petty Charger, the body was NOT race modified, but the street version of that body.....That's when I started losing interest in building those kits, except for the Brooks #22 Daytona with the "305CI" engine under the hood, though that kit did come with a Hemi as an option....By the time AMT and Monogram started coming out with the newer NASCAR kits, I was not building any more, Plus lost the MRN connection as the radio station that carried it decided to become the radio station for the LA Lakers BB team....

IIRC, the later versions of the MPC Petty Charger (the '73-'74 body) did have modifications to the tool to convert it to a NASCAR version. I have one of the MPC NASCAR versions in storage that I built when I was a kid, and I'm pretty certain that it had details for the race version (i.e. windshield clips, quarter panel fuel filler, hood pins, etc.).

When it was converted to the Super Charger (street version) later on, you could see where the tool had been modified to remove the NASCAR changes, but stock details from the original annual version were no longer present (i.e. emblems and such).

I recall that a friend of mine had the #11 Baker Charger, which was a '71 or '72 (can't remember exactly) and it did have a stock body complete with emblems, etc.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
sentsat71 wrote:

IIRC, the later versions of the MPC Petty Charger (the '73-'74 body) did have modifications to the tool to convert it to a NASCAR version. I have one of the MPC NASCAR versions in storage that I built when I was a kid, and I'm pretty certain that it had details for the race version (i.e. windshield clips, quarter panel fuel filler, hood pins, etc.).

When it was converted to the Super Charger (street version) later on, you could see where the tool had been modified to remove the NASCAR changes, but stock details from the original annual version were no longer present (i.e. emblems and such).

I recall that a friend of mine had the #11 Baker Charger, which was a '71 or '72 (can't remember exactly) and it did have a stock body complete with emblems, etc.
The first issue of the Baker #11 was a stock body as well as the first issues of the Petty and Baker (#71) had street bodies as well. The second issues as well as the Petty '74 had NASCAR trimmings.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: