Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino 442
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Salvino 442 Reply with quote

So, now that these are available... if you ordered one, what version will you be building? I have some Powerslide #1 Hawaiian Tropic decals and paint, gonna do the David Pearson version.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to do Baker and Petty.

The car will need some massaging.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff. Something old, something new, a little borrowed nothing blue.

fossil75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Salvinos Olds Reply with quote

Just finished #1 Pearson's Monte Carlo, so doing kit #28 and #2 Earnhardt
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so, the background is blue.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all......had to chime in here.......
LOTS of borrowed parts here. Not a totally bad thing when the copied part are correct.
We know the leaf springs....
Torsion bar front suspension??? Torsion bars w/o coil springs is wrong.
Seat is copied from the Model King retooled Torino/Mercury/S-3 kits. Why.....'body brace is on the left side.....should be on right side. It was wrong on our kits...same here.
Transmission tunnel to big/wide. Same issue Polar Lights Dodge had......hmmmmm....torsion bars??
Some decent detail. Some good parts breakdown.
I am THRILLED JR is taking a risk in the kit biz. I do wish they had spent some time talking to one of the many folks that would have seen these errors in the drawing stage. Many of these same folks would consult for free.

Nothing is game breaking bad. Some really good stuff.......lots of room to make things better going forward. PS a good DODGE chassis out of this OLDS kit!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
LOTS of borrowed parts here. Not a totally bad thing when the copied part are correct.
Seat is copied from the Model King retooled Torino/Mercury/S-3 kits. Why.....'body brace is on the left side.....should be on right side. It was wrong on our kits...same here.
Transmission tunnel to big/wide. Same issue Polar Lights Dodge had......hmmmmm....torsion bars??
I am THRILLED JR is taking a risk in the kit biz. I do wish they had spent some time talking to one of the many folks that would have seen these errors in the drawing stage. Many of these same folks would consult for free.

Nothing is game breaking bad. Some really good stuff.......lots of room to make things better going forward. PS a good DODGE chassis out of this OLDS kit!!!
I fully agree Mister Van. With one exception. They are talking to the kit builders, but it's a matter of how much they listen to. As for the torsion bar setup, It's my understanding they were going for the generic look of the MPC kits. I kind of like the nostalgia factor and will likely build a couple for the fun of that alone. I will wait for the updated kit to get my Petty car.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed, I got 3 coming on order and wish now I hadn't. It appears the chassis is a direct clone off the Polar Lights Petty/Baker Charger. I have about a dozen of those packed away that I'll never build, that chassis defeated me three times, I'll never build the ones I have left.

I'll use the bodies over some other chassis but if I may say , as politely as I can, with all the hoopla on the "rollout" of these, they flat dropped the ball right of the gate. If this is the chassis they continue to use on the proposed 73-77 Monte Carlos, I may get one to rob the body and vac form off it just to have some bodies but I won't be interested in buying up 40 dollar kits just for the bodies.

Not bashing, not slamming, my comments are mild compared to some I'm seeing elsewhere.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
I'm disappointed, I got 3 coming on order and wish now I hadn't. It appears the chassis is a direct clone off the Polar Lights Petty/Baker Charger. I have about a dozen of those packed away that I'll never build, that chassis defeated me three times, I'll never build the ones I have left.

I'll use the bodies over some other chassis but if I may say , as politely as I can, with all the hoopla on the "rollout" of these, they flat dropped the ball right of the gate. If this is the chassis they continue to use on the proposed 73-77 Monte Carlos, I may get one to rob the body and vac form off it just to have some bodies but I won't be interested in buying up 40 dollar kits just for the bodies.

Not bashing, not slamming, my comments are mild compared to some I'm seeing elsewhere.
It will be the same chassis in the Monte Carlo, but they are making updated suspension parts right now.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the kit pics. Looks like the chassis would certainly look better under a MOPAR.
The decals look good, too.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I've been trying to talk them into considering the Dodge MAGNUM.

What they're doing, is sort of a step further than the old MPC with generic chassis. Grant you a Mopar style chassis under an Olds is galling in so many ways but, remember, MPC had ONE setup for all the cars, end of story. These guys are constantly in the cad program making new parts and improvements so at least at the start we'll have the basics of a Chrysler and GM chassis.

I've been looking over the body and most of the inaccuracies are fairly easy fixes with a little sanding. The oversized tail light pods, grille size and shape. the only big issue is the sides. I plan to bead along the top edge with some strip plastic and lay some sheet along the side to get the body lines in shape. I don't know how many folks are prepared to try it and yes, it shouldn't have to be done.

I have seen a progress picture of the Monte body and all I will say at this point is it's profile is correct.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m pretty underwhelmed. On one hand, it’s nice to have the Olds, but on the other hand I could have bought a resin body in the correct scale for the same price and still had the same amount of useable parts.

I can’t understand the logic of intentionally putting incorrect parts in a premium-priced kit. Maybe it worked 50 years ago, but in a Tamiya world, it’s just disappointing.

I have one on order, but I have to admit I’ve lost a lot of enthusiasm for building it. The Monte will be a game time decision for me, but it’s looking like I’ll be one-and-done with Salvino.

I gave it a fair try.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of with Gary. If I were able to get over the mopar chassis, likely I'd never get done with the numerous ejection pin marks on the bottom of the chassis. By numerous, I mean 20ish.
I bought one and it will make cool box art. The body and decals are probably worth the price vs. Resin, but if I build it, likely it will get an AMT or Monogram chassis.

Tb
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Good to hear from you Dave, don't be a stranger.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did put the correct Winston logo on the decal sheet. Looks like an AMT chassis would be a better choice. I pre ordered four. I don't regret it yet. Thirty plus years ago Monogram spoiled me with their first round of GM kits. They're still hard to beat for nearly dead on correct. These guys are still new. I do wish they would consult some of the stock car "gurus", Dave and Tom come to mind. I feel quite confident there are guys on this forum and others that would be more than happy to help.
I'm a little perplexed at the Mopar chassis. I've heard a 74 Charger could be in the works. That would explain a few things. And maybe it was purely a financial decision. I can't imagine bringing this kit to the market was a low cost proposition. I'm looking forward to receiving mine.
martinfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have zero interest in the this kit as I only like building NASCAR race cars from the 90's forward, I still wanted this kit be success for JR, it would be great for the NASCAR model community , and maybe one that would mean they might kit something I would have interest in.

But sadly, it sounds like JR fornicated the pouch on this one, so I am very happy I skipped this one, even to do a patented "What's In The Box" look video for it.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
While I have zero interest in the this kit as I only like building NASCAR race cars from the 90's forward, I still wanted this kit be success for JR, it would be great for the NASCAR model community , and maybe one that would mean they might kit something I would have interest in.

But sadly, it sounds like JR fornicated the pouch on this one, so I am very happy I skipped this one, even to do a patented "What's In The Box" look video for it.
I did a video. It's horrible, out of focus and I sound like Hiccup from the Dragons movies. I probably won't do another one unless I get a better camera and someone else to do the talking! Laughing
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you martinfan, absolutely zero interest in this kit. My interest was peaked however a month ago when all the "it's almost done" starting coming out on the boards. I thought, hmmm, maybe this would be a fun little kit to build and something out of my "norm", now I'm glad I didn't jump on it when I was about to.
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys but I am tickled to death this guy has stepped up and made these models in a time where it seams like everyone is getting out he has decided to make a product that in my opinion is great. I build models for fun I have yet ever cranked one up so if it doesn't seem perfect so what,give this guy credit but I guess I am a cup half full type of person I say keep up the good work and I will keep buying.
country modeler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said WR, I applaud them and will support them. I have 4 of this model and will purchase their future models as well.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 2 of these on order, in the process of canceling them now. This is beyond disappointing. The chassis is a joke and the body looks awful. I can't believe they blew this so badly. And before anyone references, "nostalgia factor" that's such a ridiculous cop-out. Nostalgia is $40 for a repop of the 1/16 Charger, not $40 for a brand new tooled 442 with a Frankenstein Polar Lights & MPC universal chassis topped with an equally goofy looking body. The nose is short and stubby, the bumpers look gigantic and stock, no hard bodyline down the sides, and the tail is equally disappointing.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll withhold judgment until I have one and get a chance to build it. There are things that surprised me and other things I wish had been done differently, but thus far I don't see anything that's really a deal-breaker for me. I'd like to buy at least one to show support for what they've done and encourage them to (a) keep going and (b) improve future offerings.

Jodie Peeler
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the negativity is why no one wants to be in the modeling business some of you guys wouldn't be happy with the real car I say if you can do better step up to the plate and put something out.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say they are coming with a 74 Petty Charger soon, what's the over/under on the body being a direct copy of the awful Polar Lights kit?
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be closer to the old MPC body with corrections...
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Wow the negativity is why no one wants to be in the modeling business some of you guys wouldn't be happy with the real car I say if you can do better step up to the plate and put something out.

WOW you took the words right out of my mouth step up and spend a half a million or more and lets see what your kit looks like I actually wonder how many of the nay sayers have ever worked on or around a race car from this era
most are blasting it and don't even have the kit. But they really like tearing things down and try to impress everyone with their knowledge some who say they won't build because they don't build from this era are on the bandwagon as well.
From my perspective it appears to be a nice kit yes its inaccurate in ways but frankly what kit isn't its a freaking hobby enjoy the kit and be thankful a new company is planning on bringing us more kits and some long range plans for more kits..
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to defend this kit. I realize that the cost of running such a company is ridiculously high. However, for a premiere kit, this is rushed and plageurized. (I just know I spelled that wrong!)

As with many kits there's the obligatory talk of using this chassis, that cage. This is normal. Usually, a chassis or engine swap is all a kit needs and there isn't much grumbling past the initial response. In those kits we are used to having a fair amount of usable parts for this or that project.

Yes I said there was a nostalgia factor. But that doesn't carry very far when you really look deeper into the kit.

There are far too many ejector pin marks. The body is misshapen and toy like and there might be half a dozen keeper parts.

The body is a chore to fix but, most of it can be done by sanding down. The sides require sheet plastic and a LOT of sanding to obtain a correct shape.

Yes it's their first kit and we hope there are more coming. I think the biggest detraction for most people (beyond the chassis) is the "Frankenstien" parts trees. I'm seeing a Monogram style air cleaner, AMT cage an, MPC interiors tree and back to Monogram for the headers and of course Polar Lights in the chassis.

Who among us has not kitbashed? Very few, but we've never done it out of one box and we shouldn't have to.

One look at this car tells you almost how much work is needed. They are listening to the builders and want to improve. Make your voice heard. Contact them, they are very willing to listen to what you have to say. This is the only way we get a new company, with all new subjects and keep them around.

https://salvinosjrmodels.com/

I've been working on this. I'm hoping they'll let me work with them to get one made.

WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so wrong with the body
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
What's so wrong with the body

Ummm… okay.

Starting with the nose. It's too "beaky". The center point is a little too far forward. The vertical center bar of the grille too short. Body panel over grille too high and wrong shape. Headlight edges too rounded, lower portion of clip too high. Front bumper belongs on 24th scale.

Hood and trunk pins will likely disappear under two coats of paint. Windshield clips and retainer straps will NOT! way too thick.

Tail light pods too wide, character line missing from deck lid. (no biggie on that)

Down the sides the "haunch" shoulder is missing entirely from the C pillar area and the sides along the fender tops, door sill and quarter panel should be wider, tapering into a belt line two thirds down the body.

I'm going to attempt some of these mods later tonight and post the results.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you know this is not a real car right it is a way way scaled down version of a real car it would be hard to duplicate a real car in this scale.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Wow, you know this is not a real car right it is a way way scaled down version of a real car it would be hard to duplicate a real car in this scale.
You are correct, it is very hard. However, without criticism in proper doses nobody improves. If you're never told what's wrong, you may never know. I have not bashed this kit nor the company. In fact, I'm probably one of their biggest cheerleaders and I try to remain objective. I merely answered your question and made an offer to show the fix. Nothing more.

Furthermore, in recent years the other kit companies have been VERY successful at duplicating cars in miniature. I don't think it's too much to ask that they at least get close. There are other things wrong with the car I did not even mention.
I seem to remember a few years back there was an issue with a Revell Charger. Builders said the roof was wrong and lo and behold, they fixed it.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you know it's 2018 and the amount of research material that was available for this subject was staggering since we have the internet. For $40 this kit should be almost perfect. A few growing pain issues for a start-up company would be completely understandable; what they actually drew up, CNC'd, test shot, and subsequently molded to mass produce for the general public is truly embarrassing.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mistakes that have been mentioned I just don't see it I went to many races in this time period saw the cars up close and now have many pictures to reference it to and sorry guys just don't see all the problems you do, but hey that's just me if you don't like it than don't.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that it’s a 100% incorrect (I believe even illegal for the type of car) chassis is my real problem. I can fix some body lines or work with injector marks. I don’t demand perfection, but I can’t reconcile such gross inaccuracies from a high priced kit. It’s negligent at best, insulting at worst.

If you went to an expensive restaurant and the food was really bad, would you be happy for the privilege of eating there?
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was the only food I had to eat I wouldn't complain.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
If it was the only food I had to eat I wouldn't complain.

But this isn’t the only kit available , or even the only way to build this car.

Revell and Moebius both had very nice NASCAR kits out last year with 100% new tooling.

And if your heart’s set on building the Grey Ghost, you can get a 1/24 resin body, donor kit, and Powerslide decals for the same price as this kit and the donors required to bring it up to spec.

This kit isn’t the only option. It’s the worst option.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get where your coming from but I am just glad to see someone take interest in the modeling business giving us who enjoy building models new cars to build and it may not be perfect but it is close enough for me, if you ever seen the real cars trust me they were all modified some more than others. I have noticed on here as soon as something new comes out it is attacked to the point where I wouldn't blame the one who made it to just give up and quit and I sure don't want to see that happen.
67chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand there is someone out there willing to produce a new kit and spend the time and money to get it out to the public and what happens, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN !!! We the model builder today has so many opitions out there available to us to correct the things that you don't agree with, plus if you could do better then go produce a kit of your very on. My goodness its a new kit so what if some things are borrowed and some things copied fix it and make it better for you its a model!!! My 2 cents worth. Jeffro.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counter argument is why would someone put in the time and money to offer a product that is so blantantly inferior? Is it because Salvino didn’t know any better? If that’s the case, he certainly should have done more research. Is he because he thought his audience wouldn’t know any better? That’s a pretty big misjudgment on his part. Or is it because he was cutting corners to turn a bigger profit? If that’s the case, it’s a decision that could very well turn around to bite him.

I don’t expect perfection, but we are building replicas of a real thing. So it’s not unreasonable to expect a starting point that’s fairly close. It’s kind of inherently promised. By putting a picture of the car on the box, it pretty much says “build a replica of this car.” Additionally, this kit has a premium price tag, so that automatically sets the expectation that it is a premium product.

Just like with anything, the laws of capitalism apply. If enough people feel like it is a good product at a good price, it will succeed. If not, it will fail. Time will tell.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it you don't, I will buy several you wont, I hope it is a success and he does more well I hope you feel the same, you see many problems with it I don't. Like I said in an earlier post I see the cup as half full you see it as half empty.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is the deal, it is just as easy to do something right as it is to blatantly do something wrong. As soon as people saw some of this model they pointed out the inaccuracies. The response was silly excuses and promises to include "correction parts" with the next kit. Absurd, they can't possibly correct all the inaccuracies in this kit without scraping it and starting over.

Sure, it is great to have a new company wanting to make some old subjects. Moebius came along and made some excellent kits of ancient subjects and did them in a very acceptable manner. I know it costs a llot to make a new kit but it casts the same to make it right as it does to make it wrong.

There is not one item in this kit I can see a use for. It is all too '70's quality for a 2018 price. Anyone that likes this kit, I am happy you can settle for something so crude and inaccurate. My standards run a tad higher.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are saying we are ripping a "new" kit.
It was announced and teased until release as an all new tool of a subject not previously available. What's "new" about it?

They did not announce " We are taking the back clip off a 1970's MPC Grand National and mating it to the interior, chassis pan, and suspension of the Polar Lights Charger", which is essentially what they did.

I don't expect perfection, but this is just plain bad. If they were going to direct copy existing tooling there are much better options on that than anything to do with the awful PL Charger components.

They could not have come out the gate any worse. I got 3 of things coming and I'll open 1, the other 2 will go back in the back corners of the stash with about a dozen of the PL Chargers I'm struck with (made the mistake of buying all those before actually attempting to build one.)

The tires are the same useless ones in the PL Charger.
I don't see how the Monte Carlo will be much better even with the so called "upgrade" chassis fixes, it's still the PL Charger with that giant transmission hump.

This is not bashing, not ripping, it's being honest
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Gary said. I was cautiously optimistic, but I have to confess to being let down by the chassis in this kit. The body is serviceable, but that chassis has to go.

tom

Last edited by Tom Birky on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can take an Amt chassis and get it close but I shouldn't have to on a 40 dollar kit .
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Almost all of you have missed the topic Reply with quote

So now that this thread has completely took a right friggin’ turn from the original topic (what car are you building with this kit) and it has turned into a “tell me what you think is wrong with this kit”...

Is anyone interested in talking about what car you are planning on building with this kit? If not, please go elsewhere and post. Trying to stay positive.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imma do Baker, Petty. Not sure after that.

Who drove the Gatorade car?
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Imma do Baker, Petty. Not sure after that.

Who drove the Gatorade car?

Darrell Waltrip - 4 times each in 1979 and 1980.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, him. I'll hold that one until last. I never have good luck with a white paint job.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamthewayne, nice work on correcting the top of the quarters od the Olds and your Dodge looks nice too.

Try Tamiya white TS spray paint. I have never gotten a bad paint job with Tamiya TS sprays.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: