Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire decals on real rubber tires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SawgrassRaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Tire decals on real rubber tires? Reply with quote

On kits with vinyl tires, I use a laquer gloss, apply decals, and cover with a lacquer dull. Most of us do this and it works great.

I'm beginning on a Tamiya F1 kit that has real rubber tires. Does this procedure work on real rubber like it does on vinyl?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Opinions and advice welcomed! Thanks in advance!

SR
john843

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used various tire decals on rubber tires without any problems. The initial gloss coat is a little more important and may need to be applied just a tad thicker to avoid silvering over the rubber tires where the sidewalls on the vinyl tires are fairly glossy to start with.

John
Wedge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always put Future on the sidewalls of the tires, decal, then dullcoat. Never had a problem.

Wade
soflafish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Tamiya kit provide dry transfer decals for the tires? The ones I've built in the past included those.
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the gloss coat first, I put the decals right on the tires, use decal setting solution and then dull coat/flat clear coat the tires, what I am missing? My tires turn out just fine IMO
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
I dont understand the gloss coat first, I put the decals right on the tires, use decal setting solution and then dull coat/flat clear coat the tires, what I am missing? My tires turn out just fine IMO

That will work okay on a tire that's molded from a themoplastic elastomer like Santoprene. It doesn't work on vinyl tires, the vinyl is full of plasticizer that keeps the naturally rigid vinyl flexible. That plasticizer will soften anything it is in direct contact with, over time. Lacquer or acrylic paint works as a barrier, enamel doesn't.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:

It's been my experience that in doing the real rubber tires, you run into the same "silvering" effect that comes when you try to put a C.I.D. callout decal on a flat black hood. The real rubber tires (or vinyl tires that have been scuffed on the sidewalls) don't provide a slick, air pocket free surface for the decal to suck down to. YMMV Smile

John
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
martinfan wrote:

It's been my experience that in doing the real rubber tires, you run into the same "silvering" effect that comes when you try to put a C.I.D. callout decal on a flat black hood. The real rubber tires (or vinyl tires that have been scuffed on the sidewalls) don't provide a slick, air pocket free surface for the decal to suck down to. YMMV Smile

John

Hey John, thanks for the reply, and that makes a ton of sense, I dont know why I didnt think of that.
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
martinfan wrote:

That will work okay on a tire that's molded from a themoplastic elastomer like Santoprene. It doesn't work on vinyl tires, the vinyl is full of plasticizer that keeps the naturally rigid vinyl flexible. That plasticizer will soften anything it is in direct contact with, over time. Lacquer or acrylic paint works as a barrier, enamel doesn't.

Thank Tom for the explanation, makes a lot of sense too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: