Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1963 Mercury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: 1963 Mercury Reply with quote

I want to build a 1963 Merc race car. Are the 1963 and 1964 Mercury cars the same except the front grill. I have several 64 kits and no 63 kits. I was thinking if the bodies are the same I might be able to track down a 63 grill and be able to pull it off. Any suggestions?
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taillights are different too.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little difference in where front fenders meet the grill. I hate we lost the old stuff in the forum as someone did a step by step on how to convert them.I got a grill etc from Modelhaus to do it.
Bill
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Mercury Reply with quote

Radar43 wrote:
I want to build a 1963 Merc race car. Are the 1963 and 1964 Mercury cars the same except the front grill. I have several 64 kits and no 63 kits. I was thinking if the bodies are the same I might be able to track down a 63 grill and be able to pull it off. Any suggestions?

Radar;

Go to the "Big Merc" sticky above if you haven't already:

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=353

Lots of high quality pics from all angles to compare and contrast to your heart's content.

If you need more, let me know your specific needs and I'll see what else I may have.

Jerry
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: 1963 Mercury Reply with quote

67 Fairlane that is a lot of great information. I think I am going to look for a resin 63 body and go that route. Thanks.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a promo car done of this car back in the day?
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
Wasn't there a promo car done of this car back in the day?

I do recall some discussion of a promo car in this site's former life. I've never found one though; ended up buying a resin body from SMH. Still sits in the box waiting for its owner to find the time to build it....
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the quality of Ronnie's '63 Merc body. Chrome bumpers, glass, separate hood, etc...?
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
How is the quality of Ronnie's '63 Merc body. Chrome bumpers, glass, separate hood, etc...?

Its actually pretty good. I think it was made from one of those promotional models. No chrome, don't recall if the hood is separate or if there is "glass".

I'll see if I can dig it out this weekend and shoot some pics...

Jerry
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently there was a promo car, and a customizing kit in plastic. Surprised they haven't brought it back out again, as they did with the '64 Marauder kits, and the'62 Ford kit, awhile back. Not exactly the latest state of the art kits, as the '60 Starliner kits, which I like to use under the above mentioned kits.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was able to get a "63 Merc k[t, and compare to the "64 Merc kit, and also to a "63 Ford. It would be a tough job to make a "63 Merc out of a '64 Merc kit. The '63 Merc shares more body front end features with the '63 Ford, than the '64 Merc, and the roof lines look to be a bit different on the '64 Merc, than the '63. The rear bumper, taillights, and rear panel are a bit different on the '63 Merc also. Glad I was able to find a plastic kit, as I don't really care to work with resin. Resin, if only as a last resort for me. I was lucky to find a nice pre-owned kit, not built for not much more than a resin kit. There's some really nice reference pics up in the stickies of the "Darkside", thanks 67 Fairlane for pointing me in that direction.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that difficult to convert the '64 body to a '63 if you have a '63 bumper and grille to use for reference. It's all material removal and the screw posts are in the same location. The reason the '63 can never be reissued is because the mold that made it was converted into the '64.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
It's not that difficult to convert the '64 body to a '63 if you have a '63 bumper and grille to use for reference. It's all material removal and the screw posts are in the same location. The reason the '63 can never be reissued is because the mold that made it was converted into the '64.

The '63 Merc front fenders are a totally different shape, and style than the '64 Merc. Not saying it couldn't be done, but some major contours, fit, and, shapes would have to be overcome first. The rear of both cars are pretty much the same, with minor differences being the shape of the tail lamps, and rear grille/panels. Both rear bumpers will interchange on both cars. Also, the '63 Ford front bumper won't fit the '63 Merc, its too wide. In initial comparison their appearance appears to be real close, but other issues as grille shape comes into play. The '64 Ford modified stocker kit front bumper almost fits, but the bumper ends don't come back far enough, and then there's the grille shape issue, again Maybe worth doing the conversion, considering the rarity of the '63 Merc kit. Thanks for the background history of the '63 Merc kit, that explains a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: