Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N. Jarrett`s 61 Chevy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: N. Jarrett`s 61 Chevy Reply with quote

Was Ned`s 61 Chevy a 61 Bel Air Coupe or a Biscayne. If not one of these what was it? I have photos of the car was it the bubble top? Can the 61 Impala SS kit be changed to be correct for a model of the championship car? I know that it needs 6 lug wheels so did they use truck axles and steering knuckles? Does anyone have interior photos, I can`t find any on the web. Thanks
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I just posted a photo of it in the hauler thread. Here it is:

4 taillights, so looks like a Bel Air (of course it could have been an Impala with a Bel Air trunk lid, but I think I recall it being a Bel Air).

Hope this helps.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the Bel Air and the Biscayne just trim levels but same body panels? Seems the Impala always had three tail lights where the Bel Air and Biscayne had two.
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: 61 chevy Reply with quote

Thanks for that great photo, very close and shows details and the lack of the chrome. The Lindberg kit should be able to be used. Thanks
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Were the Bel Air and the Biscayne just trim levels but same body panels? Seems the Impala always had three tail lights where the Bel Air and Biscayne had two.

Yes in general, but the Impala and Bel Air were available as a 2-door hardtop (bubbletop) whereas the Biscayne was not.

My comment about the Impala trunk was just to indicate that the third taillight of the Impala was located in the trunk lid, so there would be the possiblity that if the car was originally an Impala and the trunk lid was replaced with a Bel Air lid, the car would look like a Bel Air from the rear, especially since the side trim was removed on the race car.

Impala:

Bel Air/Biscayne:

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that this car was originally a Bel Air hardtop, though. More importantly, a model can be built from the Lindberg Impala kit, by removing the trim and filling in the extra taillight.

Examples from the 1961 brochure:

Link to the Old Car Manual Project brochures:
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1961_Chevrolet/1961_Chevrolet_Brochure/dirindex.html

Last edited by Mark C. on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 chevy Reply with quote

Radar43 wrote:
Thanks for that great photo, very close and shows details and the lack of the chrome. The Lindberg kit should be able to be used. Thanks

You're welcome. Glad to help!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to see a set of decals done for this car. Lots of kits available to make it worthwhile.

The drivers' title won with this car was a tremendous achievement by Ned Jarrett, in a season when all the emphasis on engine development and talent from GM was largely directed toward the Pontiac Pack and the honking 409 V8 motor.

They had a great group of top drivers - Weatherly, Pearson, Johnson and more. Yet there was Gentleman Ned plugging away and nicking the first of his two titles.

With the release of the Moebius Joe Weatherly '61 Pontiac and the related decal sheets, there's clearly some interest in this era. Let's see this great champion celebrated properly with decals to build his car.

Car had different numbers and text throughout the season. Just Google 'Ned Jarrett 1961 Chevy' and you'll see plenty of images.
[/img]
Olderndirt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure this is the model year an Impala was entered in the European sedan race in England. That big old Impala drew a lot of stares, and snickers, until the green flag dropped. It ran away and hid from the cream of European motor car technology. It broke a front wheel, and was out of the race. If the six lug wheels had been legal it would have like won the event. Coincidently a rule change for the following year kept all the European automakers safe from that bunch of heathens on the other side of the pond.

Olderndirt
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which kits are you planning on using for this build?
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: kit Reply with quote

The 1961 Impala SS 409 Lindberg kit 72163. What engine did the race car use? Why did those cars have 6 lug wheels?
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the 409, cast exhaust manifolds, not real sure on the air cleaner, maybe like the one used on the '63 Chevy "mystery engine", do some research/reference work for that specific car, other teams may have used different air cleaners. I think the six lug wheels/hubs were truck parts, as the five lug wheels had a tendency to bend under the stress, and the tortures of the rough tracks, and speeds of that time period. The suspensions, and tires couldn't keep up with the horsepower that the engines were putting out during that time period. Just my personal observations, your mileage may vary.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pic I found. Kinda small but maybe helpful?

bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car seems to have had slightly different looks throughout the '61 season.

Although this shot is from 1962, the Royal Beach Motel lettering was on Ned's car in 1961. Maybe toward the back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: