Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAD SAD DAY for me anyway...............
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: SAD SAD DAY for me anyway............... Reply with quote

The shuttering of this forum is a real end of an era. I built a lot of personal relationships here and built my biz here. Don't tell me to join FaceSpace as I am a retired computer analyst and am much to smart to go there. I get it that the powers that be don't want to baby sit this doinsaur any longer.....but there are alturnatives to FaceSpace that are very low cost and effort.
Thanks for all the years. RIP RIP
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Dave.
We knew this was coming when the Facebook forum started.
I got started on here when I had a shoulder replacement and was unable to build for a while. Definitely going to miss it.
I want to say thanks to everyone, especially Tom M, Dr. Craft, Dave and "Old Coyote" for all of your invaluable help.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I too am a retired IT guy. I was a Microsoft MCSE, CCNA and CompTIA NET+ certified. I do not share your fear of Facebook. Do they aggregate data? Yes they do. Is it some giant scheme to do evil? Nope. It's to try and sell you stuff. While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to post Nascar stuff on my short track page you'll be more than welcome to. I have new membership turned off at the moment, but I'll get it opened up if anyone is interested. You can check it out at: shorttrackmodels.com

Best regards, Tom
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awfully bad day for me too Dave Van! Ray Charles could have seen this day coming, and it truly is a sad, sad day. Anyone that thinks that zuckerberg and his empire aren't nefarious is simply kidding themselves.

Thank you to Tom Birky and the good folks at the Model Car Magazine forum for keeping their forum's up and running.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I am not very computer savvy.
When you say "harvest" stickies, does that mean I can copy the entire post to my hard drive?
How do I go about doing that as there are several things I want to have for future reference.
Thanks
spooker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check in here just about every day. Don't always post, so maybe I contributed to the downfall! Will miss a lot of people on here, if anyone wants to stay in touch, please PM me for my contact info. I feel Facebook is just one of many another things being shoved down our throats by the high-tech overlords. Not on there and don't plan to be. Will probably lose touch with many, that will be the worst result. Take care all & keep modeling!

Brian
sam01contact

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad day. One of my first enjoyable experiences in internet was to see all the great models and paint schemes in this board.

Personally, and being a graphic designer who knows how hard is to create and mantain a website, I want to say THANK YOU to the owners, administrators and all participants. You created a great community and you keep doing a great work on facebook.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Dave, I too am a retired IT guy. I was a Microsoft MCSE, CCNA and CompTIA NET+ certified. I do not share your fear of Facebook. Do they aggregate data? Yes they do. Is it some giant scheme to do evil? Nope. It's to try and sell you stuff. While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.

While I do own a Tin Foil Hat......FB is not a Austin Powers Dr Evil. But all you have to do is look at there annual report and see the BILLIONS they make off people. I skip the deep dive here as it will be gone soon anyway......but they spout all this privacy junk while selling all your data. FB follows the law......but the law has huge loopholes that they, like most big Corps do, exploit to profit from you. Thinking FB is harmless id their GREATEST achievement of all time. Thanks
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
If you want to post Nascar stuff on my short track page you'll be more than welcome to. I have new membership turned off at the moment, but I'll get it opened up if anyone is interested. You can check it out at: shorttrackmodels.com

Best regards, Tom

Just took a peek at your website, looked pretty good, very professional.
I would like to join up.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I'm going to miss this place I still stop in every day and look and read I just do not build a lot or post very often these days, but I do realize that Facebook took a lot of future members that would be here over Facebook sites the last decade if Facebook did not exist. The Facebook sites are nice, but everything is so temporary there and watered down over the 100's of model sites that are redundant in there subject. I have been here since the early 2000's and have enjoyed every minute of it especially the earlier years when the Darkside was booming on here' I got a whole new appreciation and love for the early NASCAR drivers and cars by being a member on this forum that I had very little knowledge about growing up as a late 70's and 80's race fan. Thanks to all that have made it work for as long as it has, I thought it was dead in 2018 I believe it was when the site crashed, and it has been a little different here since then, but it has still been great. ..applause
spooker

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
The Facebook sites are nice, but everything is so temporary there and watered down....

Well said, perfect description of MANY aspects of modern life!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a question. I am not very computer savvy.
When you say "harvest" stickies, does that mean I can copy the entire post to my hard drive?
How do I go about doing that as there are several things I want to have for future reference.
Thanks

What I have done is build a document on a word processor and "cut/paste" info I want saved. There is no super slick and clean way to save stuff that I have found. I also frequently use screen print to either print the contents or save it as a "picture" on my computer.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.
And thanks to all the guys who kept this going for so long, your work is appreciated.
Vdc

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will miss this forum, am a member here for only 20 months and it's been great. To learn about the different generations of nascar and appreciate the builds posted.

And there is folks in here that have also been (still are?) involved in actual Nascar teams in some capacity has been great to learn about too. It's what urged me to actually buy some 90's Nascar books as reference.

I'll try the FB site, but like other nascar group pages I will probably give up on it and leave. That Facebook page layout doesn't really work for me.

Thank you Randy Ayres Modelling for getting me back into this frustrating, at times, hobby.
And for causing my buying of forty five kits and countless decal sheets to build only nine currently!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real sad forum is closing. However after “The Great Crash”, we lost a lot of research info plus a lot of members never came back. At least on FB, I can post photos
Bill
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you guys will at least try the Facebook page. My biggest regret is that we can't have unique "rooms" for the various interests like "Dark Side", Modern Era" etc. etc.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy's was the first really all Nascar modeling site I was invited to way back in the day. First Scale Auto gets axed and now this. I really hope Model Car Magazine stays around for a while. At least while I'm not pushing up daisy's yet. At 73 my skills have really diminished but I still plan on building and posting no matter how bad the builds end up looking. It beats sitting in a recliner all day watching T.V. Can't do Facebook. It's not anonymous enough.
slotcar_fever

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy to host this forum on the server I use for my website. But, I would need help setting it up and keeping it going...

I have some health problems and don't know when my days will end ( I'm 7Cool. But, the guy that owns the servier is a great guy and I'm sure would continue someone using his server to keep it going.

Just some thoughts and my 2 cents worth.

I hate Facebook...
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be happy to host this forum on the server I use for my website. But I would need help setting it up and keeping it going...

That's appreciated but it's not a case of the site couldn't afford to go on, members here have always been generous in contributing to the hosting fees when they needed to be paid.

It comes down to a busy day here nowadays is 2 or more posts, and sometimes we go several days without a new post. We knew some won't do Facebook but it's time. We hashed this out more than 6 months ago, and it was decided to let the board continue until the current contract with the host expires, and to give a month's notice so everybody could go through posts, p.m.'s, and save anything they wanted.

It was unanimous among all of us on the admin/moderator side that we did not want this board to sit here like a ghost for many years that you find on google searches and then see there have been no new posts or members for a decade or more. We all feel that when the lights go out, let them go out with some grace and dignity. It's just time.

On a personal note: it's been a privilege for me to be a moderator here, I have enjoyed all of it, even the times some of you who didn't care for me called me an asshat. If it makes you smile know that about ten years ago i told my cousin that someone called me an asshat here, and he has called me asshat to this day. So, there is that.

So many who made this place THE place to get accurate information on all kinds of racing cars, especially the Darkside and Grayside have left us. Others moved on to other sites or have left the hobby.

Take care everybody, it's been one heck of a ride.
Rattlecan Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only been here a short while but was very happy with the site. Learned a lot about the hobby and enjoyed viewing the builds and the how-to information. I will miss the site, acquaintances, and all the great posts. Thanks for allowing me to be part of it all. Donato (a.k.a Rattlecan Dan).
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I
I have new membership turned off at the moment, but I'll get it opened up if anyone is interested. You can check it out at: shorttrackmodels.com

Hey Tom, let us know when you get it turned on again. Just tried to sign up and it said error.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be updating it soon and creating some new categories. Will update everyone when we get the updates done.

Tom
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your continued support of the modelling community Tom Birky. While you're making changes, can we go back to how it was posting pictures on the short track forum. It used to be so much easier for us to post pictures.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
bigryan18

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not turn the forum over to someone else that's interested in keeping it alive instead of just killing it off..
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going to Short Track Models, and I have never had any trouble posting pictures there. But I have been working on the same build since September, so I haven't been posting any final photos since then. Maybe it has become an issue there now. If you're not using it, it would be a great place to go if you don't want to use the Facebook Randy Ayers. Lots of good guys over there.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for grins I went over to Short Track Models and posted a picture the same way I do here, and it worked. Posted it in the cars with fenders forum.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post over there.

bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this site was remotely close to the level of input and information that it was even five years ago, I'd be moping at word of its shutdown.

But I learned to get by on my own after the demise of Les Smirle's wonderful Mr. Nascar's Neighbourhood and do my own digging and research rather than lean on other's work.

The Facebook page is quite useful and informative and I have no problem going there for info or to look at the builds of others. And if some James Bond villain-level schemer is hacking that site for info on me, well all I can do is laugh and Carry On Model Building. I'm just not that important or wealthy or connected to global influencers to bother paying much attention to.

So, thanks for the many good years of information and discussion that this site has hosted. And for brilliant contributors like Jerry Sims or Bill Little who helped advance my knowledge of NASCAR and model making. I'd chuck in John Craft but have since learned he's no bag of Skittles in real life.

I enjoyed taking the piss out of Roger in Minnesota who ran that crummy decal operation called Shlock car fever. Lousy quality products and the worst customer service imaginable.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
If this site was remotely close to the level of input and information that it was even five years ago, I'd be moping at word of its shutdown.

But I learned to get by on my own after the demise of Les Smirle's wonderful Mr. Nascar's Neighbourhood and do my own digging and research rather than lean on other's work.

The Facebook page is quite useful and informative and I have no problem going there for info or to look at the builds of others. And if some James Bond villain-level schemer is hacking that site for info on me, well all I can do is laugh and Carry On Model Building. I'm just not that important or wealthy or connected to global influencers to bother paying much attention to.

So, thanks for the many good years of information and discussion that this site has hosted. And for brilliant contributors like Jerry Sims or Bill Little who helped advance my knowledge of NASCAR and model making. I'd chuck in John Craft but have since learned he's no bag of Skittles in real life.

I enjoyed taking the piss out of Roger in Minnesota who ran that crummy decal operation called Shlock car fever. Lousy quality products and the worst customer service imaginable.

Ouch. "You're a better man than I Gungadin". Thats a movie reference but I'm too old to remember the name of the movie. Is being a bag of Skittles a good thing or a bad thing?
Michael F

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say THANK YOU to owners, moderators and each and everyone i´ve had talked and written to here on the coolest NASCAR modeling place in the world.
Many years ago i found this great place accidentaly on the web and was hooked by the cool "darkside" models of Bill Little, the Sims brothers, Banjo´s 02 and so on...
It´s not easy to find infos on "darkside" stockcars and modifieds here in Germany, you can probably imagine. Over the years i learned a lot here.
I can highly recommend Tom Birky´s shorttrack forum. A fantastic place for stockcar modeling !!
Hope to see some of you guys and your models there in the future.

Thanks again for a great modeling time here.
..up ..up
Clyde Sledge

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose of reality is this one single post has more traffic and comments than this whole board does in the span of several days. Message boards are going the way of the dinosaur. You may not like social media, but that's the way of the world these days. And for those scared of social media (FB, Instagram,X, etc.) because they are going to steal my info, that's been around since the start of the digital age and before.

And forthose not following FB modelling groups or modeller accounts on Instagram or X, you're missing out on a lot of stuff.
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a member of this site since about 2007. This does not mean a whole lot other than how quickly time goes by. This site was the place to be as far as NASCAR modelling went. I remember spending hours every week scouring this website and learning a lot that helped build my skills as a modeler. But, times change, which seems to be the one constant in life.

It has been an absolute privilege to have my models displayed on this site. I am also humbled by the number of members who took the time to look at them and provide their comments.

I wish everybody all of the best.
mach2mickey

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, i hate to see this great forum close. It's been a great run. I was proud to post WIP's and completed builds in the Showroom. Appreciated all the comments from the Forum members.

"The only thing that remains the same, is change."
volkerc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stinks! I had just joined a few months ago and like this site. I will NEVER use Facebook in my life. Zuckerberg can shut down any group and all your stuff is gone, all he wants is your data. You should reconsider!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This stinks! I had just joined a few months ago and like this site. I will NEVER use Facebook in my life

Follow the above link to the short track model building board, it's well run and they have made new sections for the Nascar buider, a good bit of us are already there.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkerc wrote:
This stinks! I had just joined a few months ago and like this site. I will NEVER use Facebook in my life. Zuckerberg can shut down any group and all your stuff is gone, all he wants is your data. You should reconsider!

Truth!

volkerc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde Sledge wrote:
Dose of reality is this one single post has more traffic and comments than this whole board does in the span of several days. Message boards are going the way of the dinosaur. You may not like social media, but that's the way of the world these days. And for those scared of social media (FB, Instagram,X, etc.) because they are going to steal my info, that's been around since the start of the digital age and before.

And forthose not following FB modelling groups or modeller accounts on Instagram or X, you're missing out on a lot of stuff.

I'm not missing out on anything there. Nobody is.

Last edited by volkerc on Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
volkerc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigryan18 wrote:
Why not turn the forum over to someone else that's interested in keeping it alive instead of just killing it off..
Yup. Hosting ain't that expensive.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. I turned off my PC and went on a two week vacation and came back to this!

Thank you to everyone in the community for many good years.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkerc is 100% correct.

Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hosting ain't that expensive.

As stated above, not an issue.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the issue with turning over the database to a new owner???? Still a lot of good info here that would be nice to live on. thx
volkerc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
What is the issue with turning over the database to a new owner???? Still a lot of good info here that would be nice to live on. thx
Exactly. I run a site for 12 years and would not delete all that info and work. Be proud of what you guys achieved with your site. Facebook with all their scandals and fines is not a safe future for you.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

If this were to happen, I would be more than happy to contribute financially to help with expenses and upkeep. I enjoy this site better than any model magazine or books.
volkerc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
Quote:
Hosting ain't that expensive.

As stated above, not an issue.
Not having huge amount of traffic isn't either. Facebook thrives on fake accounts, fake likes. If someone would be willing to take over and continue to keep the info alive should be the way to go.
spooker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question for anyone that IS familiar with FB. I really have enjoyed and used the search function on the forum. Any info that has ever been posted is searchable. Is there such a feature on FB? TIA!
volkerc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
A quick question for anyone that IS familiar with FB. I really have enjoyed and used the search function on the forum. Any info that has ever been posted is searchable. Is there such a feature on FB? TIA!
It's just drop down, post after post. You can search within groups if they let you in if it is a private type group. Not as easy to navigate and find stuff compared to a professional structured forum like this one.
spooker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully this forum can be kept going somehow.
Clyde Sledge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkerc wrote:
spooker wrote:
It's just drop down, post after post. You can search within groups if they let you in if it is a private type group. Not as easy to navigate and find stuff compared to a professional structured forum like this one.

I have no trouble searching for what I'm looking for in the model groups I am part of on FB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: