Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rahmoc Malibu used by Bobby Allison in 1981

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monteman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Rahmoc Malibu used by Bobby Allison in 1981 Reply with quote

For the 1981 Miller 200 USAC stock car race at the Milwaukee Mile, Bobby Allison showed up with a #75 Chevy Malibu that I had no doubt belonged to Rahmoc. It was the same light blue paint with the same font used on the number. The race was held on the off week between the Nashville and Pocono Cup races, so it was possible for it to be a regular Cup car. According to Racing Reference, Tim Richmond had raced the Malibu at Nashville the week before.

Bobby practiced and qualified fifth on Saturday with the car still numbered with the #75. By the time the race started on Sunday, the 75 had been painted over with a #28 and he finished third with it behind Rusty Wallace and Joe Ruttman.

I don't believe that I've seen a picture of Malibu raced in Winston Cup action. I've seen pictures of the Rahmoc Lemans, Regal and Cutlass, but I can't recall seeing much of anything regarding the Malibu.

Have any of you?
Jerry Strobel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Marcis February 21st 1982 Richmond

http://www.driveraverages.com/nascar/race.php?sked_id=1982002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7Sa1_xedM&list=PL5DEE00B06E3875DB

https://www.google.com/search?q=dave+marcis+1982+malibu&rlz=1C1AVNG_enUS666US675&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=IpEpG_EIVQGugM%253A%252CRBKlaa36IedsZM%252C_&usg=__wqYQwmDIOYbPnGlteEBQw8YSiYY%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm-vvN9r3aAhVRX60KHRVZDckQ9QEILTAB#imgrc=_
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rahmoc Malibu used by Bobby Allison in 1981 Reply with quote

Monteman wrote ;
I don't believe that I've seen a picture of Malibu raced in Winston Cup action. I've seen pictures of the Rahmoc Lemans, Regal and Cutlass, but I can't recall seeing much of anything regarding the Malibu.

Have any of you?[/quote]
Check the last link on Jerry's post. Dave Marcis not only raced a 1981 Malibu, he WON with it, at Richmond in February, 1982. Jimmy Means also ran a Malibu, as did Bob Kennedy in the Winston West Series.
When the downsized 110" wheelbase cars debuted in 1981, NASCAR discouraged the teams from running the Malibu, as it was felt the body had too little front fender and would look too much like the Malibu then being used in the Late Model Sportsman Series. This same reasoning was why the Ford Fairmont body was never legalized for Cup racing, though it too was raced in LMS and even Winston West in the late 1970's.
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcis at Wilksboro

Smut
Monteman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses guys.

Looking back at my original message, I guess I was unclear in stating what I was really hoping to find.

I was aware that some of the teams were using the Malibu in Winston Cup during the 1981 & 1982 seasons. What I had hoped to find was photos of the Rahmoc Malibu. I've seen photos of the Lemans, Regal and Cutlass that Rahmoc fielded during that time, but not the Malibu. According to the racing reference sites, Rahmoc fielded a Chevrolet seven times in 1981, but I don't know how accurate that is and/or if that specifically means a Malibu.
Calhoun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a very good pic, but I think this might be the car you are looking for. From the 1981 Nashville summer race.

Not sure what was wrong with my camera, but something was wrong - I couldn't even take a shot of a car sitting still in focus.

At least this gives you some idea of what it looked like. Sorry it's not better.

R.J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Very Happy . It does look like it could be an Orange and White helmet which Bobby wore at times in 1981 with the Hardees colors .
Calhoun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's Tim. Bobby was driving this car that weekend.

Jerry Strobel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Martin in the #02 Tim Richmond in the #75 from Twitter

https://twitter.com/stockcarfacts/status/562614656658079744
R.J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome photos Very Happy . I long for the days when drivers were still driving to win money to pay the house payment.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calhoun wrote:
Not a very good pic, but I think this might be the car you are looking for. From the 1981 Nashville summer race.

Not sure what was wrong with my camera, but something was wrong - I couldn't even take a shot of a car sitting still in focus.

At least this gives you some idea of what it looked like. Sorry it's not better.

WOW !!! Shocked Shocked I've never seen a shot of that car. Don't worry about the quality, Calhoun ; be happy you got it.
Also, I had forgotten a few other Malibu's -- Roger Hamby as an owner in 1981, and Pat Mintey, Jr. as owner / driver in Winston West 1981 - 83.
Monteman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the photo Calhoun! When I saw the Malibu in person, I knew it was a Rahmoc car, but I hadn't seen it in what little NASCAR coverage existed at the time. I wasn't sure if it had ever been on the track and maybe that was why they let Bobby use it.

I know that there were other NASCAR Cup cars used in USAC competition over the years, but this may have been one of the last since USAC was on its last legs and the Miller 200 became a ASA event the following year.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is years late, but I found a clear COLOR picture of the RAHMOC Racing 1981 Chevy Malibu while surfing on Pininterest the other day. Sorry I don't know how to link or post it though. The car was light blue, and the driver looked like Gary Balough.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
I realize this is years late, but I found a clear COLOR picture of the RAHMOC Racing 1981 Chevy Malibu while surfing on Pininterest the other day. Sorry I don't know how to link or post it though. The car was light blue, and the driver looked like Gary Balough.

This one? Looks like Pocono. Captioned as Gary Balough 1981.
Can't copy images off Pinterest - so screengrab is the way to go.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Salvinos Le Mans, a Monogram El Camino and some work on C pillars.......get pretty close!!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
George Andrews wrote:

This one? Looks like Pocono. Captioned as Gary Balough 1981.
Can't copy images off Pinterest - so screengrab is the way to go.

That is definitely "Hot Shoe" Gary Balough! He was one of my favorite super late model drivers back in the day. Does anyone make a Malibu racing body of those year models?

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKS was making this body to fit the AMT nascars. I never got a body from him, but the parts were always good. You can find him on this forum.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
GKS was making this body to fit the AMT nascars. I never got a body from him, but the parts were always good. You can find him on this forum.

Thank you, I'll look him up.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: