Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone try Tamiya polycarbonate sprays?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone try Tamiya polycarbonate sprays? Reply with quote

Started my #23 Camel build and didn’t find a suitable Tamiya TS spray so i got PS-18 metallic purple. Pretty good match, or so it seems at this point.

Question is, why does Tamiya say “not for plastic models” or something to that effect? Went down fine over a coupla coats of Tamiya primer, didn’t mess up the plastic or anything and took decals just fine.

I suspect that line of paints won’t take spray gloss and that may be the problem, i have some PS fluorescent pink that I was going to use for a Country Time build along with fluorescent yellow for another Country Time build and Menards builds. I did a spoon test with the pink along with some gloss and it didn’t gloss too well.

Just my thoughts. Would love to hear what others have to say or your experiences with PS on styrene.
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, apparently i posted this same question about 3 years ago on here… just not involving the purple, asked about the pink and yellow Shocked
bigryan18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be used on plastic just use a good primer. I used PS-27 for my Ryan Blaney 2017 Menards throwback build and cleared it with Mr.Hobby gloss clear and it looks good
tlaferri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Tamiya paints Reply with quote

Ive used it with no issues, as mentioned just use a good primer as well. A couple of call outs
1-it drys flat so will need to be clear coated.
2-Its a bear to strip if you change your mind or make an error
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it does dry flat. yep. primer first.

One thing that Ifound weird is that future doesn't seem to want to stick to it very well. I tried brushing it on, air brushing it on, light coats heavy coats. damn near soaking it in a bucket and just wouldn't grab

Its seemed dryer to me than regular paints so my 2nd and 3rd coats of paint are wetter than I would with standard tamiya rattle cans

recommend buying a couple sheets of stereen flat sheets to practice laying down and then try to make it glossy
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it does dry flat. yep. primer first.

One thing that Ifound weird is that future doesn't seem to want to stick to it very well. I tried brushing it on, air brushing it on, light coats heavy coats. damn near soaking it in a bucket and just wouldn't grab

Its seemed dryer to me than regular paints so my 2nd and 3rd coats of paint are wetter than I would with standard tamiya rattle cans

recommend buying a couple sheets of stereen flat sheets to practice laying down and then try to make it glossy
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those paints were made to be sprayed on the inside of polycarbonate bodies.
The clear body provides the glossy look on the outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: