Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/43 AVUS International Race 1937

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: 1/43 AVUS International Race 1937 Reply with quote

Hello Mates, to calm down from the Tiredesaster on my big challenge >>http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=4932 i start another Project. Not nearly as complex and time-consuming, the famous "Silverarrows" on the Wall of Death, the not more exists, banked North curve of the AVUS Berlin Racetrack. This inspird me to build it, from the Book "When Sex was safe and Motorsport bloody Dangerous" https://automobilist.com/pages/book

So it looks in real

The kits lying here since last Year, at first i want to go with big Scale carrera Slotcars but the carreras have not much in common with the real ones, especially the Benz, i thikn the Designer smoke something other than Tobacco....see yourself......

So i go with the GB/Touchwood Models. This are resin, very well detailed and smooth. need only minorchanges to accept the Pilotfigures.

Here the Auto Union Type C " Stromlinie" aka Streamliner , the Cutouts in the fenders are a bit too big, lets see how i can change this. Also on the real car there was somthing like glass over them.

and the Mercedes Benz W25 " Stromlinie" aka Streamliner

And thats the Plan, using CH reative real stonemats in 2 differentt Sizee/Shades

Wink
J.R. Rodriquez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool build.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty serious project!!!
smart64

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Cuts and modifications done to place a Figure in the Cockpits. On the Auto Union i was a simple Trick, move the Dashboard ca. 1,5 mm forward, and then the Arms of the Figure must be more bend. Yes this is right, in those Days the Drivers sit very near to the Steeringwheels.

On the mercedes it was a bit more Work. The Headrest is a bit too wide on the Body so i sand it down , about 1mm. Then i cut off the Pad from the Seat and flue it directly on the Headrest. The Seat it self was molded too far forward and too high. So i cut it from the Floorpan, sand it down to reduce the High and go a bit Backward to sit flusch with the Headrest.

And i sanded the edges of the Wheelcover to a more rounded Shape.They were molded with a hefty Edge. The Rear Covers i will scratchbuild. Well i know what someone say "thats not correct for Langs Car...." in the Trainingssessions they drive with all, without, with Covers only at Front or Back , so i go with all covered.I like the look much better, with these Covers the Car looks real brutal and monstrous, even in Comparsion to the UFOlike Autounion.

Regards
Harry

PS i think i found Help for the Mille Miglia Desaster, 3D Print will help.....
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mates, the unbelievabel Heatis over here in Vienna, so i made a small Update on this project. First the kit design requires the dashboard to be glued into the body. This makes fitting a figure almost impossible. So I made something like a subframe for it, glued Seat and the Dashboard on the Floorpan, like the one on the Auto Union.

Then i scratched the Rearwheelcovers from Plasticard and "Pimp up" the front Ones with Plasticard and a "Bit" of mr. White Putty Wink Sand and polish 'em , glued in Place and putty the not perfect fit again. Also sand down the way too Big "Nuts" on the Wings and the Headrest.

And Putty in the Way to big Tire-Watch-Holes in the Auto union,

now i have to wait until all is dried and hard to sand. So i think about the Base.
Indy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool subject and diorama ideas. Love the start, will follow WIP with interest.

Jordan
smart64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, get Plan for the Base finished. After a Week of Filling an Sanding , i use somr Plasticard . And after drilling and filing the Holes out, sand it again flush with the Auto Union Body Razz . Then the first Paint, Alclad Aluminium Dark, for the Insides and Cockpits.
#avus1937

A bit of fine Sanding on the Outsidr an then i try Gravity Colors "Alcoa" Paint.
Regards Harry
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nd again to much work for Things that nobody ever see.....Figures and some Decals for the Dashboards, also the Alumium turned Brakedrums from the kits are nearly invisible.........the Exhaustclusters for the Auto Union build new with Brasstube, 1mm "Fat"....🫣
#avus1937

Bernd Rosemeyer on the Wheel of the Auto Union

and Herrmann Lang in his W25 Wink

Bodies on thr Chassis and noby see the Details of the Cockpits.....

This is the Kitpart for the Auto Union Exhaustclusters , no Chance to drill 'em out

so i build 'em new with Brasstube....

MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart64. The first thing that hits me when I view your opening photo is, how many people did it take to build that track and how long did it take? Also, after you build the thing nobody thought that a guard rail at the top might be a good idea? Besides all that, you already have me hooked on this build and will be watching with much attention as you continue. The silver finish looks excellent and don't even tell me how you have built your 1/43 scale track. It would be too mind blowing.
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Smart64. The first thing that hits me when I view your opening photo is, how many people did it take to build that track and how long did it take? Also, after you build the thing nobody thought that a guard rail at the top might be a good idea? Besides all that, you already have me hooked on this build and will be watching with much attention as you continue. The silver finish looks excellent and don't even tell me how you have built your 1/43 scale track. It would be too mind blowing.

That was tje "High Time" of the Nazi Regime, so hundreds of Workers build this Banked Curve in a few Months. And no there was never a Guard Rail, it would be no real Safety. After the first races they painted a White Line, that the Drivers should not run over. It was so dangerous, that it was closed after Jean Behras Death 1957 until 1967. Then the Curve was replaced by a flat one. I use real Stonemats from Modelrailroad from https://www.ch-kreativ.eu/ Udate will be in a few Weeks, no iam on Holiday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smart64 wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

That was tje "High Time" of the Nazi Regime, so hundreds of Workers build this Banked Curve in a few Months. And no there was never a Guard Rail, it would be no real Safety. After the first races they painted a White Line, that the Drivers should not run over. It was so dangerous, that it was closed after Jean Behras Death 1957 until 1967. Then the Curve was replaced by a flat one. I use real Stonemats from Modelrailroad from https://www.ch-kreativ.eu/ Udate will be in a few Weeks, no iam on Holiday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more from this build.
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mates,
after a long vacation from Bergamao, Model Exhibition, to Mulhouse and Eindhoven Scale Model Challenge, iam back on it.....and made a mess of the Carbodies....Paint 'em, see every Scratch, every small imperfection. i tried , as so often, to remove the Paint with Alcohol.....and the Resin reacted, get very soft and weak. So i get 2 new ones Shocked

and the new Bodies, on the MB the Cockpit is a bit out of Shape, i would build it new out of Alufoil or such

smart64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and a happy new Year to All !

The new Year began with a little Progress on this Dio. Got the Parts for the Base, Screw and Glue 'em togheteher. Now waiting für the Glue to be really dry.

smart64

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Testshot, while the Glue dries.......

smart64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday it was plain white Kapaline, today all Bricks are glued on........now i understand what what the workers did in 1936/37, and they didn't have the brick mats from CH Creative ( https://shop1.ch-kreativ.eu/de/ ), a little bit of joint compound and it's good.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I have never seen before!!!
smart64

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was able to apply the joint compound and paint the 2 white lines with oil colored pencils.I think it looks mostly like the real one Wink A little bit Weathering and its finished. The Tamiya Tape on the Autounion is a Help to get the Holes in the Fenders right.

smart64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

​Hello, finally here we go again. I have an original photo and posters stuck on the back, so you know what this is about.

​First test with the unpainted carbodies, looks good....

I cobbled together or re-carved some, at that time only for specially invited viewers and photographers, from various prizes and 3D prints from Speira Miniatures.

With this photographer from Speira, I changed the position of the arms, tilted his head, tried to hide the Comic-like, satanic grin with a little spatula, sanding and a cigarette....

The reclining photographers, by the way based on an original photo, they were really lying there on the parapet!, made up of Preiser, Speira and leftover parts.

These two gentlemen are reminiscent of the race directors Alfred Neubauer, Mercedes-Benz, and Ferdinand Porsche, Autouninon. Yes, historically completely wrong.......the gentlemen didn't leave the pits. I made appropriate hats out of the funny tubes. Neubauer was given a stopwatch.

and now finally paint the Cars......
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, those figures look great. Looking forward to completion.
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

​Sorry, broken Links !

Last edited by smart64 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

​not really finished, gone to our Exhibition, nobody realize it....

]

here ist the finished Thing, slightly weathering, they where not really dirty too fast for the Dust to set 🤣 and a little detail painting
​come back from the Exhibition, comes the "Order" to write a Story abou it for our Printmagazine "Modell Panorama" ......

Smile

Last edited by smart64 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on your diorama. I had no idea that track even existed way back then. Makes you wonder who was in more danger, the drivers of the cars, or the photographers up at the top of that monstrosity. Thanks for doing this great project.
smart64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i thank you !
Well this banked Curve was so dangerous because the Ingeneers go with Bricks, lay them small Side Up !° And the Curve itself wasn't parabolic like all othes, from Daytona to Montlehrey. So they painted the 2 White Lines on it. if going over the top one, the Car would fly ......on you Tube you can found some Movies from this and other Races.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smart64 wrote:
Hi, i thank you !
Well this banked Curve was so dangerous because the Ingeneers go with Bricks, lay them small Side Up !° And the Curve itself wasn't parabolic like all othes, from Daytona to Montlehrey. So they painted the 2 White Lines on it. if going over the top one, the Car would fly ......on you Tube you can found some Movies from this and other Races.

Does Avus still exist or was it torn down for housing developments like what usually happens here in the states?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video I found . It is really worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wm-ZNYuFz0
smart64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Here is a video I found . It is really worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wm-ZNYuFz0

Sorry mate, but the Video in your Post is only a bad Game......here are the real Things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_7edAS48k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P81C6fecbAc

and if you search "AVUS 1937" there are several more, one from BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0momrozUg

And no, the Banked Curve is long gone, way too Dangerous. In 1967 it was broke down and replaced by a "normal" flat one. The last Race was held in 1998. The only Remains are the Racecontroll Tower, now a Moteland the Grandstand. The later is not in Use since 1998, several Plans from a Museum to a Shoppingmall are never realised.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Harry for the good links. Very informative and interesting. Again, your diorama is an awesome work of art and thank you for creating it.
smart64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Thanks, Harry for the good links. Very informative and interesting. Again, your diorama is an awesome work of art and thank you for creating it.

You are welcome ! Thank you for your kind Words !
smart64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a small Video, good Friend of mine insited that i should presented this Thing on a Turntable....
https://youtu.be/o95rU5E2eIg
Code:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: