Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When did NASCAR start using braided hose for radiators?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: When did NASCAR start using braided hose for radiators? Reply with quote

When did NASCAR start using braided hose for radiators, fuel, and oil lines? Thanks
Ed Billing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that in 83 the cars we were running in Busch and ARCA used braided lines. Those cars were bought used from other teams so they had been run in earlier seasons.
GAS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed. Any body know about the year 1979? I would think that they were using braided line in 1979. Any thoughts. Thanks
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a definite answer, but it's like disc brakes, aluminium heads, ect., the teams with money had braided hoses before the others.
GAS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed and jh63fan, I believe you both just answered my question. In 1979, I believe Jr. Johnson would have braided lines in his car. I have a picture of the car and can see an oil line going through the rear fire wall with the fittings that they used on braided lines. The line has insulation on it, so I was not sure what type of line it was.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Riverside 1979. The DiGard and Junior Johnson cars. Hard to tell but I see mostly black rubber.

There was a Cale Olds up for auction a while back. I think it was run in '79. There were a lot of great pics at the time. I only grabbed chassis and interior shots.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to post pictures here, but I've got an engine bay picture of a Richard Petty car titled "the King's last Chrysler" from 1977. It has all braided hoses.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
I don't know how to post pictures here, but I've got an engine bay picture of a Richard Petty car titled "the King's last Chrysler" from 1977. It has all braided hoses.

This might have been party of the photo shoot. Lots of pics in the Petersen archive.

TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that Firefly. The pic that I saw had the engine installed, but that's pretty close. Side note, look how young Richard was. I miss that era in racing.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:

Jings, laddie. Not really a hard thing to do. Or learn. Five mins. tops.

G'wan. Give it a go. I'd love to see that picture of that car.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent ya a banger boy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: