Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino's Charger Build Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Mosher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Salvino's Charger Build Issues Reply with quote

Hey all, I have a couple questions on a Salvino's Dodge Charger. First, I'm working on final assembly, and my engine will not set down into the "engine cradle". The Header on the driver side hits on the top of the cradle, and won't let the engine settle into place on the mounting pin. And if I put the steering box in, it's even worse. The only way I can see to fix this is to remove the engine mounting cross-member and building a new one. Any ideas what I am doing/did wrong? I used the headers on the "white parts tree". Should I have used the headers on the "silver parts tree"? I know everyone says these kits fall together, but this one has really tested my modeling skills. Thanks!!
hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had engine fit issues on the Chargers too. It's really tight in there and I often leave the carb and air cleaner off to get the hood to seat all the way down. I always recommend being careful with paint build up on the Salvinos kits because the tolerances are so small and a little bit of paint will throw things out of whack. You used the correct headers. I'll mount the engine, then slide the headers into place from underneath and do the front suspension and spindle last. I usually glue the steering box into the firewall and leave the opposite end unattached and mount the engine and then mount the end of the box as best I can. And just a slight thickness on the chassis paint will make it difficult to push it all the down to connect to the front spindles. There's a little bit of an art to getting that whole area done and correctly in place.
Les Mosher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful. I actually cut the front crossmember out of the chassis plate, and made new crossmembers. I used the original front suspension for measurements and placement of the new crossmembers. I didn't come up with this idea, I found a thread on the Model Car Magazine forum under the NASCAR WIP section. Helped tremendously, tons of extra room now. I'm terrible at scratch building, but this thread saved my butt! And you're correct, a layer of paint makes a big difference on Salvino's kits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: