Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos is getting into the vintage Monogram Fords!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the manufacturers have gone away from molding in color. They claim you can just decal and clear if you want. I'm sorry but a couple of my Pettys that I have to build, have swirl marks in the roof. As a veteran molder, I can't overlook that. As long as they mold in an easy color to prime and paint over, not as big of a deal but, still it's the idea that they want to cater to the newbies. I now the newbies are supposed to keep the hobby alive but, I would assume they are only interested in the current cars. Could be wrong, I don't know. I enjoy painting models, that's part of the hobby is it not?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me the Elliott kit, in red, has decals for the lower white areas on the front and sides......but not for the rear bumper........so 'NO PAINTING' is is leading at best.
I've used the silver under coat for more years than I care to count. I have 8-10 87 Birds from Monogram in white so until I use them all up I'll pass on red ones.
BrianP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
All you have to do to block bodies molded in color is to hit them with a coat of silver first. That blocks all color.

Easy peasy.

That depends. Monogram and Tamiya yellows require a few extra steps than just a coat of yellow to block the dye from tinting white final colors. Silver is a great start, but there’s more protection required than just that.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught that the only stupid question is one not asked. Are y'all saying to paint a coat of silver, then prime and paint the desired color? Thank you

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
I
(I once sprayed red Testors enamel on a body in a model box cover on the floor of my bedroom. Needless to say, my Mom didn't appreciate the overspray on the hardwood floor!)

I thought I was the only one that did that stunt
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realized today that i don’t have the spare 87/88 Bird that i thought i did so i picked up a Kulwicki/Schrader combo on ebay for $47 dlvd. A little steeper than the last one i picked up but still cheaper than the Salvinos single.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the molded in colors. I actually care enough to prep the body by filling required seams, removing mold lines, etc. so they all get primer anyway. The different colors of plastic keep the monotony of doing the same chassis over and over from getting to be too boring.

With that said, red is not ideal, but when doing the 80s cars I will mix and match chassis from kit to kit. For example, when I built the Tommy Ellis Goo Goo Clusters car last year, it has a red interior. The kit plastic was green. So, I swapped the interiors from a TropArtic Pontiac kit, molded in red, and just painted it red. The green chassis was painted black and put under the 1985 Rusty Wallace Pontiac I built concurrently.

The Mark Martin #02 Miller American Ford had a red interior and I will probably use the red plastic from the Elliott kit on that build. I believe the 83-86 and 87-88 Thunderbird chassis can be swapped with minimal effort although I have not actually tried it yet.
vikecad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
When I replied on Youtube I did not like the red plastic Salvinos responded 'Most builders do not paint in Winter' WHAT???

I live on a houseboat in Minnesota on the Mississippi River and build/paint all year long. I do more in the winter than I do in the summer. They are very "out of touch" with anybody but there kool-aid crew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: