Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Cale Yarborough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerbrown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: R.I.P. Cale Yarborough Reply with quote

We've lost another legend...

Duane
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad day in racing
Bill
john843

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hated to see this come across the phone this morning. While I knew he was near the end, it was still sad to hear. I was a couple months from my 15th birthday when I first saw Cale race in person at the 1970 Southern 500 and for the next 15 or so years he was like a force of nature in racing. In '81 and '82 I was lucky enough to be able to spend a little time around Cale during his time with M.C. Anderson and a little later through his Honda dealership in Savannah and simply put, he was just a really nice, down to earth guy. I remember reading years ago that when King Juan Carlos of Spain was communicating with the US State Dept. about his upcoming State visit, he was asked if there were any notable Americans he would like to meet and have attend his official ceremony and he replied without hesitation, Cale Yarborough!
Iwas looking tonight and a full 3/4 of the starting field of that first big track race I attended in Darlington in '70 have passed on now, 30 out of the field of 40 drivers. It can't help but put your own mortality in perspective some.
Rest in Peace Cale, you will be missed.

John
pettyblue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one of the all-time greats. Rest in Peace
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add in the passing of Gil de Ferran and Rick Ferkel and it’s been a rough stretch.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from Richard Petty's 1977 Autobiography King of the Road : " Usually I look in the rearview mirror twice a lap, once on each straight, but if Cale's right behind me I keep one eye on the mirror all the time. When we come up on a slower car, I may not be able to set up the pass the way I normally would, because Cale might slip by; I've got to keep him behind me. "
I also recall the 1983 Daytona 500 Qualifying, when Cale ran the 1st 200 MPH Daytona lap on lap 1, then wrecked the car on the 2nd ( faster ) lap. Cale was eligible to run the Busch Clash later that afternoon, but was now without a car, so A.J. Foyt loaned Cale his Gilmore Racing Chevrolet for the Clash. Dick Trickle remarked : " If they ever try to do to Cale what some people do to their dog to keep 'em on the porch, with Cale they'd have to use a CHAINSAW. " Worth noting that Cale would win the 500 the next Sunday in a 2 year old Ranier Racing Pontiac LeMans.
Rest in Peace Cale Yarborough...
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Cale, a true racers racer. Tough as they came from one of the greatest, if not the greatest era in NASCAR Cup Series racing.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Tim Steele to the list of recently passed also.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Add Tim Steele to the list of recently passed also.

I remember Tim running the ARCA Series. He was a great driver until his concussion at Atlanta.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: