Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos is getting into the vintage Monogram Fords!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Salvinos is getting into the vintage Monogram Fords! Reply with quote

Pre-order on their website for Elliott’s ‘87 Coors 212 mph car. Available in December.

Am I remembering correctly that they have the ‘81 - ‘93 Thunderbird tools?

Very Happy
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price??? Is $50 the norm now or just for the #3?
Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New normal. The Thunderbird and the ‘85 STP Pontiac both have an MSRP of $54.99, as do all the upcoming modern cars. Sad

My favorite online retailer has the Childress Monte Carlo for $42, even with its MSRP. I just stocked up on several of the earlier Salvinos ‘80s GMs for around $30 each.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they be the same kit as when Monogram did them, or did they change or add anything. The body could have used a little tweaking.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a repop of the old kit at $55, thanks but "hell no".
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
If it's a repop of the old kit at $55, thanks but "hell no".

Agreed......more to build in the stash than will ever finish
Clyde Sledge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's has the Sr Monte Carlo for $39.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...$55 USD for an old Monogram kit? Don't get me wrong, the early Monogram kits were great, but they are everywhere, and frankly, I'd sale everyone of mine for that price, and include a Slixx decal sheet.

I have little faith that they'll be anything but re-pops, and if they do include new parts that they'll be either, ill fitting, Wrong scale, or just plain wrong.

Please prove me wrong!

I've made one more investment in Salvino's with the Indy car pre-order, but if they get that wrong, I'm absolutely done with them.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody had any success with painting one of their red bodies white? They claim that the Elliott Ford will be molded in Red since and I quote "the majority of people purchasing their kits don't want to paint. You can paint it if you are good at painting. No need to worry about bleed through since we do not use the dyes of old"
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the Cale yarborough Hardees Thunderbird is on its way.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! Laughing

Based on their current licenses, here are some releases that might be easily attainable following the ‘87 Coors:

‘84 Elliott Coors #9 square bird
‘84 K. Petty 7-Eleven #7
‘85 Elliott Coors #9
‘85 B. Allison Miller American #22
‘85 Yarborough Hardee’s #28
‘90 G. Bodine Budweiser #11
‘92 Elliott Budweiser #11

KDM_Racing wrote:
I feel the Cale yarborough Hardees Thunderbird is on its way.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's unfortunate that they are doing re-pops in the exact same mold as before. like DaveVan said, you either have a bunch of these kits in stash or (for example if they issue the '92 Elliott Bud 'bird) can pick up an older kit (molded in white) on ebay for $20 dlvd and a set of Powerslide decals for $12.

SMH. at least make some improvements.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
it's unfortunate that they are doing re-pops in the exact same mold as before. like DaveVan said, you either have a bunch of these kits in stash or (for example if they issue the '92 Elliott Bud 'bird) can pick up an older kit (molded in white) on ebay for $20 dlvd and a set of Powerslide decals for $12.

SMH. at least make some improvements.

Both the '83 and '87 bodies have LOTS of things that could be improved upon. On the '83 just remove the door rub strip, new headlight doors and reshape the front wheel arch. That alone and I'd have to buy one.

The '87 Bird needs help around the A pillar and a few body contours made better.
BTW a few more mods to the 83 body and you get a 84 and 85 versions.......
No mods.....NO buy
Vdc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tech question.

To reshape the original mold, how easy is it?

And is more difficult to reduce a size rather than increase?
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look for them to bring out a 1st win Kyle Petty 7-11 Wood Brothers Thunderbird.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdc wrote:
A tech question.

To reshape the original mold, how easy is it?

And is more difficult to reduce a size rather than increase?

Using the Monogram 1983 T-Bird as an example, the car side " Rub Bars " were cut into the steel mold, so they would have to be filled with weld, then ground, filed & polished. Both body sides of the mold were likely slides ( the nose & tail too ) that would move away from the part ( the car body ) as the molding cycle was completed, and the car body was ejected from the mold. Anything that sticks out on the part was cut into the " tool " ( mold ).
As one might imagine, the Mold ( Tool ) will be subject to wear and tear, and repairs would be made from time to time. The 2 halves ( HOT & ejector ) would have to be re-pinned & bushed from time to time to keep the 2 halves tight. Worth speculating that most, if not all, of the tooling is built & kept overseas nowadays, and likely is well worn on a popular kit such as the T-Bird.
The Monogram 1983 T-Bird had other issues from the 1st shot; the aforementioned headlight covers are inaccurate & and were illegal in NASCAR at the time;, the thick door-side rub bars that were not used on the Cup car-body, and a really thick body. The front fender openings too, were too BIG on the " door " side. The chassis, while a great representation of a Holman-Moody or Banjo Mathews Ford Rear-steer set-up, only measured out to a 105" wheelbase !!!

Last edited by George Andrews on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt T.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have Wood Bros. licensing? I would love if they did. I assumed not because we haven’t seen a 2022/2023 #21 Mustang. I guess they could use the Petty license and not reference the team on the box.

jjsipes wrote:
I look for them to bring out a 1st win Kyle Petty 7-11 Wood Brothers Thunderbird.
Vdc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that Mike's is getting ready. That's a great looking car.

Matt T.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that! I’m excited about that and the Powerslide sheet for the ‘87 Rudd Motorcraft #15 as well. Good times.

I see Ace Decals has a planned release for the ‘85 #21 Chattanooga Chew Chevy and Ford. I see this as an indicator of coming soon ‘83 - ‘86 T-birds from Salvinos.
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can get some old 89-93 T-birds off the internet for cheap and some sellers still have some for cheap, but I wouldn't mind if they ventured into the early 90s version of the t-bird. those kits as well as the Luminas went together really well. if they did a select few, with Powerslide decals....they would make great kits. even as a re-pop.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with a Lumina re-pop is you can still get them for $20 or under shipped and there are a ton of Powerslide decals already made. Salvinos wants $55 plus shipping for their "new" Thunderbird.
This is a common complaint with their re-pops.
And yes, I get that costs have gone up from the early 90's. Smile
Papadoc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
The problem I see with a Lumina re-pop is you can still get them for $20 or under shipped and there are a ton of Powerslide decals already made. Salvinos wants $55 plus shipping for their "new" Thunderbird.

While I agree with you, I also wonder if there is a sector of the hobby that does not delve deep into the eBay or decal websites and just looks at new kits.

Additionally, the prices on the Salvinos master site seem a little high versus retail outlets. I think that $55 is realistically $43 in store.

I guess only they know what is profitible for them. Personally, I'd rather see some attention given to the 2010-2020 period where there are really some gaps in attainable kits, but I know that might not be realistic/profitable.
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: I have to agree Reply with quote

t bird kits are dime a dozen on ebay. and the aftermarket has all the decal sheets you could want. And probably ends up cheaper than Salvinos. I honestly could say the same about the Earnhardt MC. Great decal sheet from Mikes and a black aerocup on ebay can be had for 20-25 bucks to your door.

So I have to agree with the group here. if its just more of the kits already out there I am not sure the point.

It would be great if they started from scratch and gave us a Tamiya esque kit to fix all the flaws of the monogram. and please for the love of god make a one piece body to get rid of the from fascia rear bumper pain we all go though.. Wishfull thinking I suppose.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papadoc wrote:
Lionpride wrote:

While I agree with you, I also wonder if there is a sector of the hobby that does not delve deep into the eBay or decal websites and just looks at new kits.

Additionally, the prices on the Salvinos master site seem a little high versus retail outlets. I think that $55 is realistically $43 in store.

I guess only they know what is profitible for them. Personally, I'd rather see some attention given to the 2010-2020 period where there are really some gaps in attainable kits, but I know that might not be realistic/profitable.

Very few of the people who buy the kits are actually active in the hobby. We are NOT the norm. We usually don't realize that but it's 100% true. There are builders who don't interact and there are also people who just collect for the sake of collecting. Those of us who are active in clubs, shows, forums...we are probably 10% or LESS or the entire scope of scale modeling.

Salvinos does have the Wood Brothers license. Came with Penske. Not sure what the holdup is on the 21, it would sell. Probably don't want to pay extre for the foil number decals would be my guess.

The COT and Gen6 era would sell them so many kits their beloved Chargers would look like a drop in the bucket. The late pre-COT, especially the stuff that hasn't been done like the 2005-06 Charger, 2006-07 Ford, 07 Camry, and even going back to the 2003 Pontiac, etc. would set new sales records.

I could easily see myself building 100+ Gen6 cars. I loved the looks of the cars in that era. I'm even nostalgic for COTs, believe it or not, and I'd build scads of them too. I know I am not alone.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the whole thing of say the 07 era. But if they are going to do this, there is a really big gap with the Pontiac Grand Prix. in 95, the nose got longer, no one did one (except a couple of resin guys) and in 03 the body changed again. (again no one did one) so there is a gap with that car in particular. I see what they are trying to do to fill a void (if you will) but again, these kits are still out there cheap online somewhere. Now, Powerslide getting in on the market, this is great. I personally think that helps sell kits. Guys like us know, that they are the best decals. BUT....I am still not convinced that $55 is worth it when I can buy a kit for cheap online, then turn around and buy a sheet of decals.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Has anybody had any success with painting one of their red bodies white? They claim that the Elliott Ford will be molded in Red since and I quote "the majority of people purchasing their kits don't want to paint. You can paint it if you are good at painting. No need to worry about bleed through since we do not use the dyes of old"

When I have to cover red plastic, I use a basecoat of silver first, which is an effective blocker of the red color.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Kingsley wrote:
Papadoc wrote:
Lionpride wrote:

Very few of the people who buy the kits are actually active in the hobby. We are NOT the norm. We usually don't realize that but it's 100% true. There are builders who don't interact and there are also people who just collect for the sake of collecting. Those of us who are active in clubs, shows, forums...we are probably 10% or LESS or the entire scope of scale modeling.

Salvinos does have the Wood Brothers license. Came with Penske. Not sure what the holdup is on the 21, it would sell. Probably don't want to pay extre for the foil number decals would be my guess.

The COT and Gen6 era would sell them so many kits their beloved Chargers would look like a drop in the bucket. The late pre-COT, especially the stuff that hasn't been done like the 2005-06 Charger, 2006-07 Ford, 07 Camry, and even going back to the 2003 Pontiac, etc. would set new sales records.

I could easily see myself building 100+ Gen6 cars. I loved the looks of the cars in that era. I'm even nostalgic for COTs, believe it or not, and I'd build scads of them too. I know I am not alone.

They do not have the Gen6 molds and right now it's unclear who does. They may still be in China. I don't believe Revell Germany has them any more nor do they know exactly where they are.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the FORD tooling was cut in China, as I think they were, China owns 50.1% of it. Add to that it will not be permitted to leave China.
A model train company tried to move some China tooling to Korea and it was 'damaged beyond use' in transport. This is the bed you are in when you make things in China. Look up China: The 100 year marathon if you want.

The Revell tooling may be melted down by now.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
Will they be the same kit as when Monogram did them, or did they change or add anything. The body could have used a little tweaking.

Same Monogram kit but the chrome tree is molded in Silver/Aluminim
the cost to fix the molds makes it not worth it for the limited (1500) runs they do.
and for legal reasons they can't use Dale's name at the moment.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wild Bill 2"]
jh63fan wrote:
for legal reasons they can't use Dale's name at the moment.

Teresa needs a bigger cut.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TN Vols fan"]
Wild Bill 2 wrote:
jh63fan wrote:
for legal reasons they can't use Dale's name at the moment.

Teresa needs a bigger cut.

BOOM....beat me to it!
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Mike Herman the SS and Fusion tooling does exist and they know where it is. But (my own thoughts now) they - meaning Salvinos- doesn't want to spend the money to get access to them. I do not know if they literally cannot afford it or they just don't care because it's not 1970s Chargers. Either is equally plausible.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the SS and Fusion are in China. As they were tooled there they are part owned by the Chinese government. (check out the book 100 year marathon if you want to know more about how the Chinese work) If Revell Germany is not using them or there is another issue the Chinse will run the kits for a fee. It's a really complicated issue that until you get into it is a big unknown. The risk is pretty high.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they are leaning into the xenophobia inherent in America and they are unwilling to do that.

For the record, I do not care what country something is made in. I care about getting the product I want and getting it done correctly. Their "made in the USA" stuff has not been made well. Correctly? Hardly. Only their Camry is not a mess, which is actually quite funny to me.
elcejay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Salvinos exists is a huge bonus. The mistakes they are making seem to me to be no worse than the mistakes of other kit makers. I can live with that.

I want Salvinos to tap into the biggest market that they can, whether it reflects my wants or not. They are in touch enough with the grass roots NASCAR model building community to want to drop us a few classics along the way, and the more money they make, the more likely that is to happen.

(Ulterior motive...I have a set of decals for a Bobby Allison 1979 Ford, and I want a polystyrene kit to put it on!!!!!)
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SALVINOS has posted a review of the T Bird on YouTube.
Molded in Red, as expected a repop of the Monogram kit sans the chrome plating.

Nice looking decal sheet.
The rest, meh.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molded in red......PASS
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a cheap snap kit I could forgive them for molding bodies in color but to charge what they charge and add an unnecessary headache like that, I really would rather buy an old kit molded in white.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Molded in red......PASS

100% !!!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really would rather buy an old kit molded in white.
I agree, but they are not concerned with hobbyists like us, they are more for collectors and the "you can build it without painting it" crowd.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replied on Youtube I did not like the red plastic Salvinos responded 'Most builders do not paint in Winter' WHAT???
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
When I replied on Youtube I did not like the red plastic Salvinos responded 'Most builders do not paint in Winter' WHAT???

"Most builders don't paint in winter." WTHECK, that's on of the stupidest things I've ever heard! Just WOW

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most builders do not paint in Winter

Wish someone would have told me, I may have killed the hobby by painting in December.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Good Lord!

Rolling Eyes
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

"Most builders don't paint in winter." WTHECK, that's on of the stupidest things I've ever heard! Just WOW

Guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 20 years.
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the north, we DO have cold winters, lots of snow, but....our houses ARE heated!

Apparently the powers that be at Salvino's think we are all 10 years old and have to ask Mom for permission to spray paint in a cardboard box on the deck!
(I once sprayed red Testors enamel on a body in a model box cover on the floor of my bedroom. Needless to say, my Mom didn't appreciate the overspray on the hardwood floor!)

Even some of the modified kit bodies are now molded in color and have that horrendous chrome plating, I guess they'll never learn!
Papadoc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to add in my distaste for the body molds in color. I am usually not a high horse guy when it comes to things and generally like Salvinos. I hate bodies moldeed in color. They just look very toy-ish. Also, with NASCAR you know there are going to be aftermarket decals and those customers are your bread and butter- why try to cater to someone who might buy one model once versus someone who might buy the same kit six or seven times?
BrianP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don’t mind the bodies being molded in color. I’m going to primer them anyway. As long as their styrenes are coverable without leeching the dye into top coats, it’s not that big of a deal for me.

If I can cover Monogram yellow plastic to build a white car, I can paint anything.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do to block bodies molded in color is to hit them with a coat of silver first. That blocks all color.

Easy peasy.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
All you have to do to block bodies molded in color is to hit them with a coat of silver first. That blocks all color.

Easy peasy.

It's a step you should not have to take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: