Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with engine fit with Salvinios modified

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Problem with engine fit with Salvinios modified Reply with quote

First attempt with JR Salvinio's modified. Looked like everything was going fine until I tries to fit the engine into the frame. The engine will not sit down into the frame. The engine hits the firewall like it should , but the oil pump and belts hit the frame not allowing the engine to fall down into the frame. Any suggestions?
bighoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAS,
On my modified builds I do a few thing to make the engine fit better. First I open up all the mounting holes a tad bit, second I remove all the mounting pins from the engine except for the front top ones, and thirdly I remove the bottom belt and pulls assembly, the one that hits the frame. Hope this helps.
GAS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: engine fit on modified Reply with quote

Thanks. I took your advice. I took all of the front parts that go on the engine and the belts and shaved them down. I took the oil pump and mounted it where the instructions stated and cut off the plastic belt on the oil pump. Make sure the oil pump belt lines up with the other fly wheel. I made a new flexible (rubber) belt . The belt still hits the frame but it at least it is on there.
Papadoc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a nice video series detailing the build of one of these. My first did not go well at all
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papadoc wrote:
I would love to see a nice video series detailing the build of one of these. My first did not go well at all

A builder that did a lot of SAE magazine builds start a build on Yothbe......
About a 1/3 into it he gave up and never finished.
Not sure what that says.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Papadoc wrote:

Not sure what that says.

I agree the video series was never completed, but I do believe I saw his finished build of that kit last Spring in Lebanon.

He knocked it out of the park like he usually does.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Papadoc wrote:

Not sure what that says.

I agree the video series was never completed, but I do believe I saw his finished build of that kit last Spring in Lebanon.

That is what scared me.....if he didn't finish it who can!!!!! Laughing
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Crime Dog wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Papadoc wrote:

Not sure what that says.

That is what scared me.....if he didn't finish it who can!!!!! Laughing

That's the truth!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you open up ALL the mounting holes and slots for the engine plates (front and rear) it'll go without any additional trimming or re-engineering but it's still a super tight fit. Whoever designed that kit failed to allow for any tolerance stackup on the parts.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Papadoc wrote:

Not sure what that says.

FWIW, the final video of that build is up on YouTube. He knocked it out of the park with his usual fine results.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay say the engine fir is really tight but it will go in. I think it boils down to opening up alignment holes so parts seat fully. A 1/32" extra will throw off everything////he says this a number of times.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-proclaimed "Tamaya quality" kits that cost around 50 bucks should not have to be re-drilled and re-engineered on the bench. I built 2 of the mods, the other 2 are in the sell or trade pile. I supported Salvino's, bought a lot of their kits, but I lost interest after fighting the 2 modifieds. I wish now I had never bought 90 % of those. I don't know when but there is going to be a big cleaning out of the stash and those are the first to go.
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Gary said! I was SO excited to see these coming, had some local teams asking me to do customs for them, but after slogging thru my (almost completed) first one, I won't be building any more. I set mine aside for a couple months, partly due to frustration, partly because of shoulder surgery. The pause allowed me to read a few more after-build reviews, which solved a few issues for me, and after getting back to it recently, I solved one of the last major hurdles so it WILL get finished and it WILL utilize ALL the parts, nothing left off. Modern methods & technology shouldn't produce kits that don't fit and require wholesale parts modification and creative jig-work to assemble, or kits that look like nearly direct copies of 1970's generic stuff. Due to my experiences with each & every Salvino's kit I have purchased, the $80 Indycar kit is also getting a hard pass by me. My modeling time is scarce enough as it is, without having to deal with stuff like this. I can build an MPC Pinto modified kit into something really nice, with a scratchbuilt cage and interior plus aftermarket decals, wheels, tires and brakes for less than a Salvino's kit, in less time! Plus, just like the real cars back then, every one is different, no cookie-cutter cars!
petroben

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Sounds like a bit of a challenge with the engine fit. Consider checking the engine mounts and the frame for any modifications that might be causing interference. It could be helpful to consult the modification instructions again or reach out to the community for insights. Sometimes small adjustments or tweaks can make a big difference.

Good luck,
jwhop3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Papadoc wrote:

Not sure what that says.

Clay Kemp on Youtube, and he posted the completion video a couple weeks ago. All the listed issues were addressed. You hit the nail on the head regarding the engine pulley/belts assembly. Best to remove the kit plastic belts and shave down the pulleys and mount them to the engine, then use electrical tape or masking tape painted flat black for belts, after the engine has been installed if possible. Alternatively, you can simply cut a notch in the oil pump belt where it hits the frame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: