Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:11 am    Post subject: Exhaust Help Reply with quote

Hey all I'm building a Buick Regal from 82 Bobby's Daytona 500 winner to be exact, and the exhaust is giving me fits. Couple questions,

A) when building the early to mid 80's GM chassis do you put the exhaust in with the engine like the instructions would have you do, ran into fitment issues the engine wouldn't go in with them on(test fitted first, i'm learning lol)
B) Do you slip the piece in after the engine, driveshaft, rear suspension is all glued in because I tried that and the starter is in the way to slip the piece in. I then split the 2 piece exhaust apart and tried putting them in that way, the driver side fits fine the passenger side doesn't begin to go in as mentioned the starter is in the way

any help and tips are greatly appreciated thanks
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always build the engine with the exhaust headers then attach it to the chassis before I add the firewall or any of the suspension. I'll also tape the trailing bar assembly to the chassis to hold the transmission in place until the glue dries on the engine mounts.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, on the kits where the headers wrap under the engine and connect together which I believe this kit does, the firewall has to go on after the engine is installed otherwise there's not enough clearance to get it in place with the headers on. Not sure if you've glue the firewall in place yet or not.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis all I can offer is that it seems like we all do it differently. The first part I glue when I build these kits is the firewall And when the last thing that I put in the car is the engine. Many people recommend and I do the same is to snip out the middle section of the header. That piece of plastic that connects the left cylinders to the right side cylinders. Or just replace the headers with solder which I do a lot of times as well. And then you can bend the solder in the headers to whatever position you need them. So they'll fit into the chassis.

+1 For the practice of dry fitting
Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have the firewall in place maybe thats where I went wrong. its how i build these models chassis, front cross piece, right side cage, firewall and pedals, b post cross piece(right behind drivers seat), the instructions show to do it the way said here, engine goes in then firewall.

All great tips thanks for the help Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: