Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos JR Frank Fleming Modified

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danh4

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Salvinos JR Frank Fleming Modified Reply with quote

Hi all, first post here. I'm usually a 1/72 aircraft modeler but I love the modifieds so I had to build this kit. I bought a few aftermarket wiring and seat belt sets to use on it as well as some bottles of Tamiya lacquer to try. I also bought a few 3D-printed parts from Hurd Hobbies and ended up using their ignition box and clear cover as well as their gear shift lever.

This pic shows the frame when it was about half done...

Here's a shot of the completed chassis. Much of the plumbing and wiring will be hidden once it is all assembled. It was fun to do but I'll probably leave most of it out if I ever build another one.

I painted the body panels with black Tamiya lacquer about a week ago so I put the decals on today. I'll give them a few more days to cure before shooting Future on to seal the decals and give it a little gloss.

Wheels and tires are ready to install but I need to give some thought to the order that I do things from this point, don't want to paint myself into a corner!

This has been my first experience with a Salvinos JR kit, I'm really impressed with the quality of the moldings and the fit of everything.

-Dan
Racer14

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build!
bighoo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good - will be a real looker when finished
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any issues fitting the engine in properly? I’ve tried everything and I can’t get the engine to push down and into the tunnel without the belts catching on the front wheel carriage. I’m ready to throw this thing away. I just can’t get it in there correctly.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any issues fitting the engine in properly? I’ve tried everything and I can’t get the engine to push down and into the tunnel without the belts catching on the front wheel carriage. I’m ready to throw this thing away. I just can’t get it in there correctly. I have never in my life been as angry with a lot as I am with this one.
Danh4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
Did you have any issues fitting the engine in properly? I’ve tried everything and I can’t get the engine to push down and into the tunnel without the belts catching on the front wheel carriage. I’m ready to throw this thing away. I just can’t get it in there correctly. I have never in my life been as angry with a lot as I am with this one.

I never did get mine to fit in perfectly. I remember carving away some of the belt on the bottom to get the front of the engine down into the chassis a bit more. I also enlarged the hole at the tail of the transmission so the whole thing could slide backwards more. You just have to keep testing to see exactly where the interference is and then trim away the problems. My engine is such a custom fit that it didn't need to be glued, it snapped in, but the 4 mounting pins are still just shy of their holes.

-Dan
hurricane21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the rear axle line up? The instructions are less than clear and I’ve had to strip this kit down a couple of times to get stuff lined up correctly. It’s not the kit that’s bad, it’s the instructions sheet that doesn’t always make stuff clear. Does the axel mount outside of the rear shock brackets or inside? Or something completely different?
Danh4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
How does the rear axle line up? The instructions are less than clear and I’ve had to strip this kit down a couple of times to get stuff lined up correctly. It’s not the kit that’s bad, it’s the instructions sheet that doesn’t always make stuff clear. Does the axel mount outside of the rear shock brackets or inside? Or something completely different?

If I remember correctly, the axle tube sits on top of the little square tabs that are just ahead of the lower ends of the shocks. When you glue the shocks to the frame, angle them out so that those tabs are vertical when viewed from the rear of the car.

The instruction are pretty vague about how all that goes together and the one added line that is supposed to help didn't make sense to me because both of my axle tubes were the same length.

I came up with a slightly different way of doing it that helped me a bit- I glued the long torque arm to the center of the diff. before installing the rear end in the car. I slipped the forward end of the torque arm onto its pin up in the drive shaft tunnel and held it in place with a piece of foam shoved in the tunnel. Do not glue it to the pin yet, you want the rear end to be able to swing up and down. Now the rear end is located correctly in the fore and aft direction and somewhat correctly in the right and left direction. If you haven't already installed the shocks you can do it now and you'll see where the axle needs to touch those tabs. If you already installed the shocks and you have those tabs vertical when viewed from the rear, then the axle should drop right on. Look close at my first photo up top and you can see about how much of the axle tube extends beyond the tabs.

-Dan
spooker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something like Dan did. I used Blue-Tac and small bits of soft, really thin wire to "assemble" the entire rear suspension. I glued the torque arm to the center section & bell assembly, held it on its pin with Blue-Tac. Then I inserted each axle tube w/o glue and glued on and aligned both shock/radius rods with the shock tops held with Blue-Tac. When everything was solid, I then had 3 sub-assemblies. Finished any detail painting, added brakes and it all went together pretty easily. These are NOT easy kits, but they can be assembled and look great, just takes some work, thought and LOTS of pre-fitting!

PS - Dan, the tubes are NOT the same length, but the difference is tiny. The slot in both of my axle tubes that locates the shock/radius rod bracket was completely closed with flash. Also, there is no rotational locator in the end bells to accurately locate the tubes, which is why I came up with my assembly method.

Last edited by spooker on Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danh4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spooker- thanks for the info on the axle tubes. I can't remember if there were any flat spots on mine or not, I'll look closer on the next one (Ole Blue, coming soon!). But like you said, without them being indexed on the inboard ends you've just got another variable to deal with.

Getting that torque arm on early makes the biggest difference I think, it locks the rear end at the correct angle and sets at least one dimension.

-Dan
Shunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is nice….
hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the tips everyone is giving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: