Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65 #34 Howard’s Furniture Chevy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catpack68

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: 65 #34 Howard’s Furniture Chevy Reply with quote

Anybody know the details on this car? Was this a borrowed car that Wendell drove for a race?
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name on the quarter panel says it all. One of Richard Howard's stunts at Charlotte. He was going to give several drivers the "opportunity" of a life time by putting them in competitive cars. They were mediocre at best. Howard did it to Wendell again several years later with a back of the pack Monte Carlo he was trying to pass off as a Junior Johnson built car. He did Scott more harm than good no matter what his intentions were.
starwalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:38 am    Post subject: Who is #46? Reply with quote

I don't recognize the number.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is #46? Reply with quote

starwalker wrote:

Wendell Scott used that number from the early 60's to the early 70's. He made his living chasing points, so if he drove something other than his own car he would use his number 34 on it. The book about him, "Hard Driving, the Wendell Scott story" is well worth reading. You will definitely gain a respect for him.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is #46? Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
starwalker wrote:

Wendell Scott used that number from the early 60's to the early 70's. He made his living chasing points, so if he drove something other than his own car he would use his number 34 on it. The book about him, "Hard Driving, the Wendell Scott story" is well worth reading. You will definitely gain a respect for him.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm an avid reader. I've always been a fan of the little guys/ independents.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
starwalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Who is #46? Reply with quote

#46 is the number I don't recognize. I recognized Wendall's number.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know. Wendell's career was over in the early 70"s and he passed away in the 90's, so there are a lot of new younger fans who aren't aware of him. I'm glad you know who he is, too many of the independents are being forgotten as time goes on, and their stories are definitely more interesting.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

46 is Roy Mayne
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
I didn't know. Wendell's career was over in the early 70"s and he passed away in the 90's, so there are a lot of new younger fans who aren't aware of him. I'm glad you know who he is, too many of the independents are being forgotten as time goes on, and their stories are definitely more interesting.

I couldn't agree more! If you're a reader, pick up a copy of Brock Baird's book simply titled "JD". Excellent book on J.D. McDuffie's career. Talks about Jimmy Means a little, plus some of the other independent's. I told Brock once that he should write books about other independent's too.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is #46? Reply with quote

[quote="jh63fan"]
starwalker wrote:

Wendell Scott used that number from the early 60's to the early 70's. He made his living chasing points, so if he drove something other than his own car he would use his number 34 on it. The book about him, "Hard Driving, the Wendell Scott story" is well worth reading. You will definitely gain a respect for him.[/quote

"Hard Driving" is an excellent read and you find out who the good guys and the bad guys were in the sport back in the day. Some builds of cars that
I wanted to do got cancelled after finding out about certain drivers. Wendell was a very brave man to have to deal with the stuff he had to deal with.
starwalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: I'm a retired school librarian Reply with quote

A few years ago, before I retired, I bought a children's illustrated biography of Scott. I don't know now how many kids looked at it, but there were a few before I retired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: