Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

great news from Salvino's

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: great news from Salvino's Reply with quote

hey all, wasn't sure who all was on the Salvino's email list, but here is a snippet of the email i got from them today... i am excited to say the least.

"We just received all new tooling for Joey Logano’s 2022 Championship winning Ford Mustang, PF2022JLC, and Austin Cindric’s Daytona 500 winner, PF2022ACD, and they will be shipping very soon with 2023 Fords coming later in February.

The first ever NASCAR 2023 Toyota Camry molds are being machined right now and the kits will be coming in March or April! Look out for the box art soon."
Shunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news…
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope power slide decals will be made for Blaney. Hopefully for his 2023 Daytona 500 winner.
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concerning thing is both listings on Salvino's says they are going to be limited to 1500 each.
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Hope power slide decals will be made for Blaney. Hopefully for his 2023 Daytona 500 winner.

There ya go

MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
The concerning thing is both listings on Salvino's says they are going to be limited to 1500 each.

That is concerning. I don't want to buy those decals till I have the kit in my hands. 1500 sounds ridiculously low.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
martinfan wrote:

That is concerning. I don't want to buy those decals till I have the kit in my hands. 1500 sounds ridiculously low.

1500 is used to create high demand. There are non model people getting them just for resale. This only works so long.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the decal preview, the roof camera is STILL in the wrong place. Why is this so hard to get correct? It was too far to the right on the Camaro. This company is such a clown show.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
Based on the decal preview, the roof camera is STILL in the wrong place. Why is this so hard to get correct? It was too far to the right on the Camaro. This company is such a clown show.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Really Joe....tells us how you feel!?!?!?!?!?!?
Why they will not accept help from outside sources is strange.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why they will not accept help from outside sources is strange.

They are making money and have a built-in fan base that tells them everything they do is spot on.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
martinfan wrote:

1500 is used to create high demand. There are non model people getting them just for resale. This only works so long.

Your right Dave, I hope this bites them in the ass, and that goes for any company that does it.
Shunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But sure the 1500 is based only on these first releases, no doubt they will offer further Ford & Toyota kits as they did with the Camaro.
Duane Garner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, just offer a generic kit and let the decal producers do the rest. Everyone wins and the cost of the kit should be reduced!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:

Then you see these layouts - from Daytona '22 - and the roof camera layout looks more correct:

Same with this one from Darlington:

Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of limited production to create competition among buyers (and fuel the re-sale market), but it's up to them how they want to run their business. I refuse to pay a fortune buying from a second hand seller, so if I miss out on something, so be it. I have too many unfinished projects waiting in the wings anyhow.

What I would like to see in this thread is what additional vintage subjects they have planned. For example, the Petty '71 Plymouth has a '72 rear bumper in it, so it seems like a no-brainer we will see an STP '72 version.

I also heard that there are plans for a Superbird.

Anything else?
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daytona photo shows just how far off the molded camera really is.

The Darlington photo is from 2021, that's a Gen 6 car.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane Garner wrote:
In that case, just offer a generic kit and let the decal producers do the rest. Everyone wins and the cost of the kit should be reduced!

Mike's Decals did offer a generic 2+2 kit and a generic LeMans kit. I'm not sure how well they sold.

It's 1500 kits per paint scheme, there will still be plenty of kits available overall for those wanting to use aftermarket decals.

Jay S posted a couple of pics of the built-up Mustangs he built for SJR promos, he's just waiting on the decals. TO ME they look damn good. I'll get both a 2022 and a 2023 Mustang. I've enjoyed my buildups of their kits and thus I'm satisfied.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
I'm not a fan of limited production to create competition among buyers (and fuel the re-sale market), but it's up to them how they want to run their business. I refuse to pay a fortune buying from a second hand seller, so if I miss out on something, so be it. I have too many unfinished projects waiting in the wings anyhow.

What I would like to see in this thread is what additional vintage subjects they have planned. For example, the Petty '71 Plymouth has a '72 rear bumper in it, so it seems like a no-brainer we will see an STP '72 version.

Anything else?

They have the Ford license now so I'd expect T-Birds to come out. What years/bodystyles/sponsors they'll be, I have no idea.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see Powerslide bringing out a comprehensive sheet tto build different cars from David Pearson's Tim with Holman-Moody. Fills a gap and offers upgraded quality from previous decal issues.
randman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better view of the camera locations. The front camera should be closer to the center (right side of windshield cutout when viewed from the front). Since the decals now have the cutout, we're pretty much stuck with the location.

Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
Mark C. wrote:

Anything else?

They have the Ford license now so I'd expect T-Birds to come out. What years/bodystyles/sponsors they'll be, I have no idea.

Thanks!

That's interesting. I wonder if there would be any chance of seeing a Montego at some point.

Regardless of any dissatisfaction that some folks have with the company, I'm just happy that they are producing NASCAR kits, and especially the vintage ones. Other than the old MPC and AMT reissues (which I'm also thankful for), before Salvinos, if you wanted to buy an early 1970s Mopar NASCAR kit, you'd have to shell out a fortune for an old MPC kit, or try to piece one together on your own (like I started to do with an MPC '71 Road Runner kit combined with a 1980s MPC kit for the chassis) - the Polar Lights kits were good to have, but the Charger body was a nightmare (the Fords were a little better).

So, I'm just happy to be able to get the subject matter at non-collector prices and am actually excited to see what they will bring out next. While the Olds and Monte bodies had some obvious issues, the Chargers and Satellites look much better to me. Bring 'em on!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear! Hear!

Not so long ago there was much moping about the 'death of the hobby' and no current model car kits available. Now, we have seen an ongoing selection - Moebius, Salvinos - of intriguing new kits of past and present-day cars to choose from, plus excellent third-party suppliers of accessories and decals. And more to look forward to.

Sure, there's a few minor flaws - that OK! Hudson decal for the Moebius Tim Flock '52 Hudson was the wrong size and actually used on Flock's '51 Hornet. - but it's hardly stopping people from buying or building. Or using their abundantly displayed skills to correct minor flaws. These are good times.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:

Sure, there's a few minor flaws - that OK! Hudson decal for the Moebius Tim Flock '52 Hudson was the wrong size and actually used on Flock's '51 Hornet. - but it's hardly stopping people from buying or building. Or using their abundantly displayed skills to correct minor flaws. These are good times.

Detail the issues with the Flock decals on the Hudsons.........I did the art for all those kits.....never heard there was an issue......
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor issue. Not unlike the one harped on about for the Blaney decals. For the most part, the Flock decals are dandy. You did a fine job if one wants to build the 1952 model Hudson. I'm more interested in the '51 because he drove one for a majority of the '52 season and won six of eight races with it.

So, the O-K Hudson decal created for the Moebius 1952 Tim Flock Hudson Hornet was not used on a '52 Hornet. It was a '51 model.

Flock's car featured that sponsorship one time only - in the 1952 Motor City 250 at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. He won it - the biggest victory of his first title-winning season. Only Darlington offered a bigger purse.

As you see, the white area of the Moebius decal containing the sponsor info and address is not quite large enough to match that on Flock's car. I'll figure out a solution. I'll also avoid another error made in the instructions - Southern Blue is not the correct color for this car. It wasn't available on 1951 Hudson models. Bali Blue is the correct color.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying.......I\d not make that big of a sizing error.....I made them like the photos I was supplied.....so there must be one more like what I used for sizing. I don't keep materials like that or I'd check what was given me. Most photos went back to Ms. Flock. Thanks for the info
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big difference, however it happened. I just noticed the number corners are much more rounded in the 1:1 pic.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
That's a big difference, however it happened. I just noticed the number corners are much more rounded in the 1:1 pic.

Yes.....another reason I think I did my art off a different photo. Who knows what Ms. Flock had......her pic could have been something Hudson did for PR.....if I worked off the photo posted I'd rounded the number corners......that's to easy to skip. Thx
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Dave! Builds a great model either way. I just wish we knew what race/pic you worked from.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. But if I kept all the reference I ever used......I'd have so much I couldn't find it anyway!!!
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Salvinos Reply with quote

I totally agree with just being happy that we don’t have to shell out a fortune on “Classic MPC 70’s “ kits! I could care less if Salvinos aren’t perfect just remember as my wife tells me….”perfect died on a cross and three days later He arose!” So ain’t nothing ever gonna be perfect! And besides if y’all didn’t mention the “imperfections” I’d never notice them anyhow!
Laughing
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I see what you are saying.......I\d not make that big of a sizing error.....I made them like the photos I was supplied.....so there must be one more like what I used for sizing. I don't keep materials like that or I'd check what was given me. Most photos went back to Ms. Flock. Thanks for the info

My point in bringing up this issue wasn't to dig you out for a minor error that's easily fixed - cut a correct-shaped piece of white decal paper and overlay the Moebius decal onto it. Boom. Done.

The mere fact that this decal was included in the kit led to enjoyable research to learn more about this particular car that won in Detroit and the discovery of some other interesting paint and decaling options.

The point was that minor, correctable flaws in otherwise terrific model kits or decal sheets are bound to happen from time to time and to be harshly critical is hardly constructive.

And we'll hardly be building the Hoover Dam correcting mere millimetres of perceived errors in the Blaney decal sheet or placement of the roof cam.

Last edited by bangor boy on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issue here....glad you had that photo....never seen it.
I think that era of kits has passed. Moebius owner at the time of all those Hudson and Chrysler kits, Frank Winspur, sold Moebius and the new owners are a bit gun shy of classic cars and old race cars. The team that produced all those kits were fantastic, happy I got to work with them.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff guys. Dave, did the Hudson and Chrysler kits sell in decent volumes?
Tom
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kits sold about what was projected. It may be a while longer for reissues and doubt we will see anything but stock versions.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking like Salvinos will exceed expectations with the '71 Petty Roadrunner kit. They sold out in a flash - for just over $50 per - in the three hobby shops in my area (Toronto) that routinely stock NASCAR kits.

Only one store has been able to restock that kit and when I picked up one (my second) today the owner told me it was a good thing I phoned ahead to reserve a kit. The remainder have all sold out and he was charging $10 more.
Taz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
It's looking like Salvinos will exceed expectations with the '71 Petty Roadrunner kit. They sold out in a flash - for just over $50 per - in the three hobby shops in my area (Toronto) that routinely stock NASCAR kits.

Only one store has been able to restock that kit and when I picked up one (my second) today the owner told me it was a good thing I phoned ahead to reserve a kit. The remainder have all sold out and he was charging $10 more.

Were did you go Wheels and Wings?

Ron
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dailey Hobbies, out in Whitby, 2 min. drive from Thickson Rd and the 401. Good selection of NASCAR kits and well stocked for all building needs. $63 for the Petty kit felt a little heavy but, with int'l shipping and the $ exchange rate factored in, buying a donor kit with decals from Mike's isn't cheaper.

Wheels and Wings - nice 10 min. walk from my house down the Danforth - have had the Salvinos kits but not getting more. Great store, nice staff and well stocked with a bargain basement of pre-owned kits bought from collectors. Just don't get big demand for NASCAR so they keep stock tight.
Taz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
Dailey Hobbies, out in Whitby, 2 min. drive from Thickson Rd and the 401. Good selection of NASCAR kits and well stocked for all building needs. $63 for the Petty kit felt a little heavy but, with int'l shipping and the $ exchange rate factored in, buying a donor kit with decals from Mike's isn't cheaper.

Wheels and Wings - nice 10 min. walk from my house down the Danforth - have had the Salvinos kits but not getting more. Great store, nice staff and well stocked with a bargain basement of pre-owned kits bought from collectors. Just don't get big demand for NASCAR so they keep stock tight.

I'll have to check out Dailey's, I have never been there. your right about the cost out of the states, just ordered two Lennie pond kits and one Petty Donor kit from Mike, with shipping $138.00 USD or $195.00 CDN ouch.

ron
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dailey website isn't very sophisticated and doesn't show inventory. But if you call and ask about something specific, they'll check and let you know immediately. They put aside two kits for me until I could get there two days later.

It's in an industrial park but there's a sign at the turnoff on Hopkins Rd. showing where to go. Paint, tools, building materials out the ying-yang. Worth the trip.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
bangor boy wrote:

I'll have to check out Dailey's, I have never been there. your right about the cost out of the states, just ordered two Lennie pond kits and one Petty Donor kit from Mike, with shipping $138.00 USD or $195.00 CDN ouch.

ron

Dailey is Randy Frost's store.
Taz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Redmond wrote:
Taz wrote:
bangor boy wrote:

ron

is that Randy from Perrys resin?
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
Pat Redmond wrote:
Taz wrote:
bangor boy wrote:

ron

is that Randy from Perrys resin?

Yes.
martinfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randman wrote:
Here's a better view of the camera locations. The front camera should be closer to the center (right side of windshield cutout when viewed from the front). Since the decals now have the cutout, we're pretty much stuck with the location.

I find it sort of humorous , while making it easier to apply the roof number decal by cutting out the roof cam area, they made it basically impossible to correct the roof came location. I give them props for doing the cut out.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I don't even care anymore. Over Priced and inaccurate models doesn't match my modeling budget since retirement.
tireman33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who are you turning to?
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most, I have more than enough kits to keep me busy.
No offense, just not much of a fan of today's cars or drivers.
Its all good, room for all of us here.
tireman33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"room for all of us here" Absolutely

I meant if you knew of another manufacturer that I may not know of.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope wish I did.

It's been several years ago, BSR posted on April 1st of course, that Tamiya was introducing a line of 1/20th scale Nascar kits starting with the 28 Havoline!

I fell for it hook line and sinker, took nearly a week for me to get over being mad a William over it!

If only!

I doubt Revell or Round2 ever tool up NEW Nascar kits, Moebius is pretty busy doing what they're doing, so it's pretty much a market left to Salvino's.

They seem more interested in cranking out as many different versions of the Camaro...or should I say as many different decal sheets...as they are interested in getting things right. Personally, I'd rather wait a couple of months or longer and get it right than to just rush to get it out asap.

I have a couple of the Camaro kits, still haven't opened them so I can't really speak to how those are, I have the others, I really lost faith in them when they screwed up the GP2+2 and the Lemans. After that it was buyer beware...and I still bought the Charger and the Plymouth! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Laughing Rolling Eyes
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna go out on a limb here and bet that they'll do just fine without you.

Enjoy whatcha got and all the best in your perfectionist modelling endeavours down the road. Keep us posted, eh? Oh, the things we'll learn... .
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's about long enough down this road.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: