Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1988 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe - nice photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: 1988 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe - nice photos Reply with quote

Came across this link completely by accident.

https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/787/1988-chevrolet-monte-carlo-aerocoupe

Glad I did. A nice assortment of really useful, high quality photos.

Right click, save. Cool
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Many observations but 2 draw attention. Should I now start removing the 2nd shock off all aerocoupes? Second Q or statement. I secure my exhaust better than they did. Those dumps are just slip fitted to the headers and appears to be a 1/2" bolt securing it to the floor.
AMB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on your observations.

Re exhausts, I doubt the dumps would remain on the car beyond driving out to pre-grid warmup as they're secured there. Still, lots of useful information, especially chassis details.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust pipe fastening criteria was / is well defined in NASCAR's Rule Book, and THAT deal is NOT close to legal. Should also have a full radiator fan shroud. Chrome valve covers are for show only. Wonder how much the car sold for ???
AMB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been up close with a number of similar 80's era retired NASCAR race cars. Due to local noise ordinances in place at many of the tracks they're driven at now, some run very large mufflers, I believe made by Flowmaster?

My guess is that was the case here and prior to being listed, the original type dumps were temporarily stuck back on for photographic reasons.

Overall, to run safely at anywhere near its potential, I'm sure a thorough 'recommissioning' will be in order with this MC.
AMB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re price, found this - http://www.2040-cars.com/chevrolet/monte-carlo/terry-labonte-junior-johnson-monte-carlo-nascar-11-350551/

Not sure as to how legit it is?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking Price vs. SALE Price -- are likely very different for this car. Caveat Emptor... Shocked
AMB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree there George. Put that up solely as it was all I found.

My guess is the car went for under $100k.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this awhile back, gave me some ideas.
I added those locater pipes in the corner to a couple of builds I'm working on.
https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/rkm/1/2684/178732/1920x1440/w/1988-chevrolet-monte-carlo-aerocoupe
Scott H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been studying that car for a while as I want to build the Darrell Waltrip car from a year earlier. From what I see the front suspension is also different from what is offered in the Monte Carlo kit. I am thinking you would use the lower control arms from a Ford to replicate what is shown on that car.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is a rear steer Ford set-up, with the steering linkage behind the front spindles. Also the lower control arms have a single pivot location on the chassis cross-member, and they have strengthening plates welded to the bottom of the control arms. Another clue to the Ford set-up are the diagonal locating rods running from the lower front chassis cross-member outwards to each control arm. You could cut the front frame off a Monogram 1983 Thunderbird kit and patch it on; the rear suspension and axles were usually the same regardless of the front end suspension used.
Scott H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
The car is a rear steer Ford set-up, with the steering linkage behind the front spindles. Also the lower control arms have a single pivot location on the chassis cross-member, and they have strengthening plates welded to the bottom of the control arms. Another clue to the Ford set-up are the diagonal locating rods running from the lower front chassis cross-member outwards to each control arm. You could cut the front frame off a Monogram 1983 Thunderbird kit and patch it on; the rear suspension and axles were usually the same regardless of the front end suspension used.

Thanks for the reply, now for a follow up looking from above the Chasis tubes done look like what you see in the rear steer fords so is this a hybrid? Use the lowers from a ford and the upper tubing etc from the Chev kit?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea -- There were many versions of upper engine bay tubes depending on the chassis builder & owner modifications; also how many times the front end was wrecked & rebuilt. The upper chassis tubes can come off either the GM or Ford chassis, or you can fab up your own. Plastruct is your friend here. I'm quite adept at bending it, the trick I learned is to use an oblong or triangle file to cut a VEE on the inside of the bend, then slowly bend it and glue. I never had much success using a candle; the tubing will sag, stretch, and deform too much. Some of the smaller diameter Plastruct tubing has a wire inside; really handy for holding the bend.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that was the car Hendrick had in his museum for a long time. If so it's an old Rick Newsom car that I think had been the Tommy Ellis #55. It was bought from Rick's widow for Days of Thunder filming, there's a lot about that car that was hastily thrown together just to get a Bud Monte Carlo lookalike on the track for filming. It was never raced as an Aerocoupe, that was added for the movie version.
joe b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is not specifically a ford or gm chassis. it is by manufacturer. that is a banjo chassis and was primarily used by ford, yes, but gm too. it depended on driver preference and i think if the sheetmetal was changed from ford to gm. the other chassis was McCloghlan (forgive me, it is probably not spelled right) banjo was rear steer and McC was mostly front steer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: