Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db362

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Matador Reply with quote

I plan on making 2 versions of the Matador (RWB and Cam 2).

I remember reading on this board before the crash, a suggestion to use a monogram Ford chassis rather than the kit chassis.

Which early Ford the "81-82 or "83 -"86 or other?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Matador Reply with quote

db362 wrote:

I remember reading on this board before the crash, a suggestion to use a monogram Ford chassis rather than the kit chassis.

Without being able to access the original discussion, I'm thinking the 1/25 AMT Thunderbird chassis would be a better choice than the 1/24 Monogram.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Matador Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
db362 wrote:

Without being able to access the original discussion, I'm thinking the 1/25 AMT Thunderbird chassis would be a better choice than the 1/24 Monogram.

The AMT Thunderbird chassis is the best bet. Contact board member BW (Bobby Winnett), Ask him to post some pics of his Matador build. It is awesome.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by some quick comparative analysis of the aforementioned built stock kits, the wheel base of my AK decaled Monogram bird matches the Matador's wheel base the best, my AMT Elliott Coors comes up short in the wheel base department, and would require some lengthening to fit the Matador. I also like the 90 something Monogram Bird, better than the early Monogram Bird. Some period NASCAR parts may have to be added to either Bird to make it more accurate for the Matador. Just my quick take on this project.
scatpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did the conversion, but I pulled an early 1990's AMT Thunderbird chassis and fit it up into an AMT "Bobby Allison Sportsman" Matador body. Everything seems to line up ok wheelbase wise. Rear inner fenders obviously need trimmed, but if anything the front wheels might be to the rear a hair.

Seems to me you're going to have to chop and channel a Monogram chassis like I attempted to for an AMT 1970 Monte Carlo body (never finished).
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downsized ('81 season-on) cars had a shorter wheelbase, so the 1/25 AMT chassis needs to be extended a bit to fit the '70s cars. Usually done by sawing off the front clip where it meets the main chassis frame rails and gluing in a styrene spacer, maybe 1/8" or 3/16"? - you'd need to fit as you go. "Rocketman" here showed how he did it - and he did it many times.

The larger scale Monogram does seem to fit about perfectly, which is a matter of scale difference compensating for 1:1 wheelbase difference.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by DaveVan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
db362

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered an ‘83-‘86 monogram Ford from mike’s decals along with the Cam 2 decals. I’m going to attempt using it. Just need to come up with a plan of attack.

I’ve looked on the net but I haven’t found and interior shots of the matador. I’ve seen the penske javelins in person and will most likely go with the light grey interior. Any one have any interior shots?

I saw a matador at a Dover race back in 2008 but I’m not sure how accurate it was. I’ll post those pictures later when I get home.

Thanks all
db362

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by db362 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db362

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how this happened, but I was trying to post some pics of a Matador and one photo that I uploaded posted as a DaveVan post. Not sure what I did wrong. My apologies.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Prob....where was the Matador photo taken???? I have a street 74 like that.
db362

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. It was on display at a Dover race back in 2008. I have a few more shots that I’d like to upload eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: