Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sixties bolstered seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teegeefla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: sixties bolstered seat Reply with quote

I am trying to remember the name of the seat that was common in the sixties that had the large padded bolster on the right side along the transmission tunnel. I also remember someone had a way to make one from scratch. Thanks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bostrom ??? Their van seat was popular with NASCAR drivers in the 1960's. The right side padding was applied by the teams and / or drivers.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there some way to make a 1/25 version of the seat bolster using pieces of sprue or something like that?
68GTFastback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Bolsters Reply with quote

Seat bolsters varied as they became more needed. There are various sizes of solid core coated electrical wire. I have found these to be very useful to replicate what I see used in photos during the 50's and 60's. They are bendable and can be shaped to look very realistic.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the long-term members here care to refresh us on the Bostrum seat?
C5HM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bostrom company, located in Jacksonville, FL was the maker of industrial seats. Some of these seats found their way into automotive use. For example, Bostrom West Coaster "stadium backed" long haul truck seats were used by Bill Stroppe in many of his Grand National Mercurys. Ford light weight Galaxies and early 60s Galaxie police cars also used those same seats. Bostrom also made a small, fixed, low back, low weight, seat that was used on air port equipment and fork lifts. That seat was used in light weight Mopar drag cars, A100 Dodge vans and Thunderbolts. In the late 60s some NASCAR teams also began to use the smaller Bostrom seat in Grand National trim with bolsters added to the side(s). These bolsters were initially made of roll cage or muffler tubing wrapped in black plumber's insulating foam that was in turn wrapped in electrician's tape. Later teams added aluminum panels that carried foam and upholstery. Banjo began to use these small Bostrom seats in the cars he began to build in 1972 for the customers of his then new race car fabrication shop. They came to be called "Banjo Seats" and were used well into the 80s and maybe even the early 90s. Banjo seats are said to have been Earnhhardt's favorite race perch. I'd post photos but, I do not belong to a photo hosting side.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, John. Thanks for this useful info.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thanks John for the information. The early Monogram NASCAR Kits ( '81 Buick Regal, '83 T-Bird & Monte Carlo SS ) have what I think looks like the " Banjo Seat ".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: