Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

57 Petty Olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim unger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: 57 Petty Olds Reply with quote

Hi everyone, does any one make a resin or 3D printed 1957 Oldsmobile 98 2 door? I need one to make Lee's Olds from the 1957 season. Thanks for any help.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone knows, because I have always wanted to build that car as well.
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: 57 Olds Reply with quote

JnJ did one years ago, pretty tough to find. I found this on 'bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125565188870?hash=item1d3c44bb06:g:inEAAOSwGzJjTAsS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoAXTakAG1Gk4Ah8Y%2FvAvOUtAyNl5cY6gI%2Bjd6QXC81u1H33A7gBdMriIhjv5HuGTxLWlyAirgZ2w8tiikfXXz8IvXcKRSiPGRhtVAwaVf6%2FlrD3%2BLDvLj9qNZ%2FSfGhwper4TBxzMeI4SyXofneVH%2BnSMbQotyzGkfcvUceRFOvh8pTY1jJ89jEazPZRLI3mJLBJQH2RNne7FqGZGLjTkUWA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR47c99KSYQ
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or this
https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/products/1957-oldsmobile-88-2-door-holiday-hard-top?product-page=1&yoReviewsPage=4
jokar124

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the diecasts in both hardtop and convertible form from Ertl, Racing Champions, or Playing Mantis. They are all from the same mold and are poorly proportioned and detailed, not acceptable for a serious model. It's a shame really because they came already predecorated as various Lee Petty, Richard Petty, and Ralph Earnhardt race cars.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 bucks is a little too rich for my blood on the resin kit. Diecast is definitely out of the question.
jim unger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: 57 Petty Olds Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Jim
jim unger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Speedn Steven wrote:
or this
https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/products/1957-oldsmobile-88-2-door-holiday-hard-top?product-page=1&yoReviewsPage=4

bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit wary of the MCW resin kits. I bought a 1956 Dodge from them and it seems like it's 1/26 scale - or even less.

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/products/1956-dodge-royal-lancer-2dr-ht

I wanted to build Buck Baker's alternate car from his first title-winning season and, after seeing prices soar for the Modelhaus version - I have one - I thought this would be a good alternative and let me hold onto the more valuable version.

Modelhaus resins are routinely advertised as 1/25 and their reputation suggests they know their stuff. It's a beautifully crafted kit. But the MCW version is almost 1/2 inch shorter and about 1/4 inch narrower. And nowhere near the Modelhaus level of craftsmanship. Some pictures. The Modelhaus is the larger, more beige-coloured car. The MCW has been buffed and beveled and primed as I tried to build the Baker car:

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW was probably based on a JoHan promo, they were notorious for being box scale.
jokar124

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
MCW was probably based on a JoHan promo, they were notorious for being box scale.

... and they are also known to shrink.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is correct.
When these aftermarket resin producers make a new body, they have to work with what is out there to start with. And that doesn't include a real car to measure from, usually just pictures. Economics plays into it also. If they had access to the real car, spent a hundred or so hours on a master, cost of rubber to make molds and resin to cast copies, how many do they have to sell to break even.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if MCW - with whom I have no other issues - provided proper info on its scale sizing. I see the '57 Olds on the MCW link shows a 1/25 scale reference in the listing. The '56 Dodge I bought does not but it's too easy to assume it is.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, when I see a resin body I assume it is 1/25 scale. But the model companies/promo producers have been known to cheat a little on the scaling.
I have an MPC 1968 Barracuda that I wanted to put on a Revell Hemi Dart chassis. Both marked 1/25 scale. I had to take about 5/16" out of the chassis because it was too long.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
I'm a bit wary of the MCW resin kits. I bought a 1956 Dodge from them and it seems like it's 1/26 scale - or even less.

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/products/1956-dodge-royal-lancer-2dr-ht

I wanted to build Buck Baker's alternate car from his first title-winning season and, after seeing prices soar for the Modelhaus version - I have one - I thought this would be a good alternative and let me hold onto the more valuable version.

Modelhaus resins are routinely advertised as 1/25 and their reputation suggests they know their stuff. It's a beautifully crafted kit. But the MCW version is almost 1/2 inch shorter and about 1/4 inch narrower. And nowhere near the Modelhaus level of craftsmanship. Some pictures. The Modelhaus is the larger, more beige-coloured car. The MCW has been buffed and beveled and primed as I tried to build the Baker car:

Just curious - have you measured the bodies to check their dimensional accuracy?

From the net, the key body dimensions are:
Length: 212 in
Width: 74.6 in
Wheelbase: 120 in

Scaling them down to 1:25:
Length: 8.48 in, or 215.4 mm
Width: 2.98 in, or 75.8 mm
Wheelbase: 4.80 in, or 121.9 mm

I'm wondering if one or the other is accurate, or if they've both missed it to some degree (for example, the Modelhaus a little too big and MCW a little too small?).
bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't measured them closely but Modelhaus are renowned for accuracy and their '56 Dodge looks very good size-wise with other components. Sadly, their chassis is simply a flat, undetailed panel. The MCW kit was more ambitious in the chassis detail, even if mufflers had to be ground away with a Dremel.

But the MCW kit is clearly on the small side. I have a set of era-correct 1/25 scale PPP wheels and tires and they don't fit the wheel wells properly, be it front to back or side to side. A lot of grinding is needed to create clearance. The PPP decals are also a tight squeeze to fit onto the body in their proper locations. It's very discouraging.

This is a build I'm highly motivated about. 1956 champion Buck Baker won a race driving a Kiekhaefer Dodge on the day I was born - Thursday, May 10, 1956 - at Greenville-Pickens Speedway.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I just thought that actual measurement would confirm which one was correct in dimension, over and above the reputation of the Modelhaus (which I agree is very good).

For my purposes, however, unless I am using the model as part of a display with other vehicles of the same scale, some small dimensional irregularities are not as important as how the model looks proportionally. To me, if it looks 'right' sitting on the shelf, then it's all good.

Sounds like you might want to use the Modelhaus kit, since this one is such an important project for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: