Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allison 68 Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Allison 68 Charger Reply with quote

I have decided my next build will be Bobby Allison's 1968 Charger he ran in some Permatex races. My first decision to make is do I use the stock kit chassis or bash it with a Polar lights Charger kit, at this point I think I will use the stock kit it looks like a friendly race convert.

Mack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is gonna be good......
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision going with the kit chassis. Regardless of how you handle the cage, it will probably be better than the PL.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too agree with the kit chassis. I've only used that kit chassis once but had a PPP cage work real well with it, just had to narrow the width side to side of the rear hoop and cross bars a little.

John
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be cool.
BW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL COOL COOL!

Bobby
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this build, please show wips as you go along Very Happy
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following also. Razz
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Allison charger Reply with quote

I have a similar project going out of the same kit and I can tell you right now you got major work ahead of you dealing with the front clip. For one thing the frame rails in the kit sit way too low which makes lowering it almost impossible without major surgery. For another once you do lower it the floor pan sits too low and your torsion bars wind up at strange angles. To keep it simple you might want to try using the K frame from from the Revell Hemi Cuda two in one. There is a lowered front end that comes in this kit( and the worst kit body since the p l charger) that might be the easiest way out but you're not going to get the front end at the correct height without major surgery even using this piece. I wound up cutting the stock frame rails off and replacing them with parts box pieces from a monogram NASCAR a lot of reshaping and fingers crossed. One of the issues with the Revell Hemi Cuda is that they spaced the torsion bars too far apart and one of the issues with the Revell charger is the floor pan sits too low. Your best bet Maybe the chassis from the current AMT 69 GTX which is definitely simpler and even as I haven't tried it yet you might be able to use the stock K frame from the Charger. It does have a full floor pan with a 4-speed hump in the floor than a platform style interior and is also recommended in the Wing car sticky. I'm familiar with Neil Bonnett racing an Allison charger in mid 70s Sportsman series races and another one you might want to take a look is the King Enterprises charger, which also was raced by little Bud Moore and Pete Hamilton in Grand National in 68-69 and wound up running in the Sportsman series. The car I'm building is the K&K car as run in the 68 Southern 500 and there are a lot of pics out there of this car which is very very similar to the car you're talking about. I saw a video a while ago on YouTube of Neil crashing a red on white number 12 70 Charger. Another issue to deal with with the Revell 68 Charger is how the hood fits. The new or recent release of the 70 Charger RT has a simpler front suspension redesign and a hood and front bumper that fit together much better and yes the RT door Scoops are separate parts they go on over the standard charger door. Posting in progress pics very soon I hope this information was helpful and Ike highly suggest checking out the wing car sticky. One of the really cool things about the charger that Neil Bonnett was driving was it had an almost identical paint job to Bobby's 64 Chevelle which means that there are decals available. Good luck and PM me if you want to talk any further about this project.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Allison charger Reply with quote

I have a similar project going out of the same kit and I can tell you right now you got major work ahead of you dealing with the front clip. For one thing the frame rails in the kit sit way too low which makes lowering it almost impossible without major surgery. For another once you do lower it the floor pan sits too low and your torsion bars wind up at strange angles. To keep it simple you might want to try using the K frame from from the Revell Hemi Cuda two in one. There is a lowered front end that comes in this kit( and the worst kit body since the p l charger) that might be the easiest way out but you're not going to get the front end at the correct height without major surgery even using this piece. I wound up cutting the stock frame rails off and replacing them with parts box pieces from a monogram NASCAR a lot of reshaping and fingers crossed. One of the issues with the Revell Hemi Cuda is that they spaced the torsion bars too far apart and your best bet maybe the chassis from the current AMT 69 GTX which is definitely simpler and even as I haven't tried it yet you might be able to use the stock K frame from the Charger. It does have a full floor pan with a 4-speed hump in the floor than a platform style interior and is also recommended in the Wing car sticky. I'm familiar with Neil Bonnett racing an Allison charger in mid 70s Sportsman series races. The car I'm building is the K&K car as run in the 68 Southern 500 and there are a lot of pics out there of this car which is very very similar to the car you're talking about. I saw a video a while ago on YouTube of Neil crashing a red on white number 12 70 Charger in the 74 Permatex 300 I believe but don't quote me . Another issue to deal with the Revell 68 Charger is how the hood fits. The recent release of the 70 Charger RT has a simpler front suspension redesign and a hood and front bumper that fit together much better and yes the RT door Scoops are separate parts they go on over the standard Charger door. Posting in progress pics very soon I hope this information was helpful and I highly suggest checking out the wing car sticky. One of the really cool things about the Charger that Neil Bonnett was driving was it had an almost identical paint job to Bobby's 64 Chevelle which means that there are decals available. Good luck and PM me if you want to talk any further about this project.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on financing all this, Bobby?

Kidding.

Amazing insight and thanks for sharing.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on financing all this, Bobby?

Kidding.

Amazing insight and thanks for sharing.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Allison 68 Charger Reply with quote

Well in fact I do! If you have a sealed polar lights charger kit leave it sealed and put it on eBay!

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Allison 68 Charger Reply with quote

The best thing about the polar lights charger kits is the box art! And because of the box art they look great sitting on a shelf sealed which is how they should be displayed! Other than a handful of detail parts they are completely useless and I find it both shocking and disappointing that people still take the effort to put them together. In case anybody doesn't know they are based on the MPC 1/16 scale Petty charger which Tom Lowe basically handed over to the Chinese moldmakers and had downsized to 25th Scale and while I applaud the effort and the initiative that MPC took back in the day designing a large scale model free hand in 1973....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: