Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lucky local driver....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Lucky local driver.... Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Salem Speedway in Salem Indiana. It's a high banked 1/2 mile asphalt. They run the Halloween race every year for street stocks. Big event I believe 50 cars showed up this year. One of the local drivers joined a club that no one want to join. He exited the speedway over the wall. He was fine but the car was destroyed. A familiar family name won the race Will Kimmel of the ARCA Kimmel Family. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMbr_Y-gT5M
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivers exiting the track while still in their car at speed can be scary. Once saw Sammy Swindell exit the old Tri-City Speedway (when it was still a half mile) in his winged sprint car via the turn 1 wall… nothing to laugh about, that’s for sure.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a car go over the wall at any race I've attended, though I DID watch Ron Hornaday Jr. ride the front stretch wall at El Cajon Speedway in San Diego many years ago.
I hate to say this -- but some of the infield crowd might have needed medical help themselves after several attempts at scaling the wall failed. Shocked Laughing
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it happen twice at the old Atomic Speedway in east TN (RIP). One driver, Buddy Norwood went over in turn one. He was fine and if I remember correctly, the car wasn't torn up to badly all things considered. The other driver, Herman Goddard went over in turn four. His car was totaled and he broke his wrist and a few ribs I believe. Both drivers continued to race.

I've been to Salam once. That's a crazy fast race track!

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw two different angles of that crash, but all those unnecessary people running on the track were just asking for trouble.
The only one who should have gone were the track workers( Medics/Fire).
Thankfully no one was hurt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: