Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using my Monogram decals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Using my Monogram decals. Reply with quote

Hi all.

This Monogram Kodak sheet, the backing paper has turned to brown.

Will it be safe to use?

And if they wont tear, will the glue be visible?

Back in the 90's, i used a lot of Mgram decals no problem. They're thick but layed good.

But nowadays?
lefty1820

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put a coat of glosscote ( I use Testors Glosscote myself) over all decals (I airbrush or use a Q-Tip to apply) and when you cut them cut very close to the color to eliminate any of the original carrier film excess as it may show up yellow once applied. I would definitely NOT USE the tire Goodyear decals. Go with dry transfers.

Good Luck
Vdc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefty1820 wrote:
I would put a coat of glosscote ( I use Testors Glosscote myself) over all decals (I airbrush or use a Q-Tip to apply) and when you cut them cut very close to the color to eliminate any of the original carrier film excess as it may show up yellow once applied. I would definitely NOT USE the tire Goodyear decals. Go with dry transfers.

Good Luck

May show up yellow. That is what i'm concerned about.

I have'nt yet put the final body colour, but with wet sanding pre/post primer, a lot of work already! Definitely something to mull over.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won’t tear, but the yellowed glue will show once they’re on the car. Fortunately it’s a yellow car, so it won’t be as noticeable. Some people have had luck putting them up to a window to let the sun “bleach” the yellow away, but I’ve never had much success doing this. You can also try wiping the yellowed glue off while they’re in the water. I’ve had slightly more success with this technique. As has been mentioned, the tire decals likely aren’t salvageable. Luckily there are lots of aftermarket options there.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that same kit and that's how the decals looked. With it being a yellow car, it should turn out fine. Wouldn't hurt to cut the excess off as close as possible though. I didn't but I was still fine with the result. It's actually less noticeable in person than it is in the shot.

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=5266
Taz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the part that used to be clear around the decal will be more of a yellow brownish color so it will show if left. I have had good results by soaking the decal really good in very warm water and turning it upside down after releasing it from the paper and rubbing the back of the decal with a wet Q tip that should remove the old glue, now that yellow part that was the glue is gone so when you place it on the car you must use a decal softener because it won't stick otherwise. Just go easy over the decal with the Q tip .
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: ebay Reply with quote

hop on ebay. you can get a set of Kodak slixx cheap that will be much better. HOWEVER, make sure you put two light coats of clear coat on the slixx before putting in water cut out as close to decals as possible
Vdc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taz wrote:
I have found that the part that used to be clear around the decal will be more of a yellow brownish color so it will show if left. I have had good results by soaking the decal really good in very warm water and turning it upside down after releasing it from the paper and rubbing the back of the decal with a wet Q tip that should remove the old glue, now that yellow part that was the glue is gone so when you place it on the car you must use a decal softener because it won't stick otherwise. Just go easy over the decal with the Q tip .

Thanks for the replies.

Washing off the glue, i'll try this first. I do have decal solution so should stick okay. No tight curves for the decals on this bodyshell.

Slixx are pricey from the rare UK sellers.

Its actually cheaper to buy direct from Slixx but only if buying more than two sheets. Thankfully their postage is still $5 intl.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had success eliminating the yellow by putting the sheet in a sunny window for a few days. The sunlight bleaches out the yellow without fading the inks.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: decals Reply with quote

I've had experience with decal setting solutions that did not work with some Monogram decals. (I use Solvaset)

Good luck.
Bbo1974

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a car with some rough looking monogram decals. I coated the first few just in case (testors clearcoat). That seemed to work ok but these particular decals needed some help to conform to the body so i used some microset and then microsol. Maybe i over did the microsol, but it didnt react well with the clear coat. The decal almost looked like paper when it dried.

I will be careful with clearcoat and microsol in the future.
steveracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this works, but let's try. Here is a link to my decal dilemma on a different car. If you get this horrible look after application, don't worry, keep working it. As you can see it turns out OK.....

steveracer wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate the looks and comments.

For those interested and those that may search for "Monogram Decal Milkiness" or whatever, here are two photos of the before and after of the so many year old Monogram decals. This scared the heck out of me at first, but you can see the results were pretty decent.

Here is immediately upon application, just after applying Solvaset I think...

Here is the dried before clear, using full strength Solvaset and a bit more water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: