Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison !972 Monte Carlo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison !972 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Just lining up some projects in my mind and thinking about the Allison Monte Carlo Coke Machine. Which would be a better starting point, the old MPC Monte Carlo Stock Car Kit or the AMT 1970 Monte Carlo street car kit? I am sure that it should have a factory frame under it which I believe the MPC doesn't have, been a while since I looked at the kit in my stash.

jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some builders use the Allison kit and the front end clip off of the MPC stock cars. Didn't know how much trouble you wanted to go to.
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article in the July 72 Stock Car Racing mag shows pics of Bobby building the Monte Carlo. It is basically a stock frame with heavy duty suspension. The frame is thinned at the rear wheel hump to allow for wider tires. This was also a short arm rear suspension, not the long truck arms.

Mark C. posted a copy of the article here on the forum in 2018.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:

Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe the Allison kit pictured is the AMT version with the stockish frame and not the MPC “one size fits all” chassis. The roll cage in the AMT kit is basic and out of scale, but the chassis is fairly close with the short trailing arms.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making this a sticky for the great scans of the SCR article with photos of the actual Allison Monte Carlos.

A little background: The '72 Junior Johnson-owned Coke cars were all Banjo Matthews built chassis and as such they are all Ford style front suspension and long trailing arms as was typical practice up into the mid-late '80s. As shown, the Allison cars were GM based and used the short trailing arms. The AMT kit out of the box builds a somewhat crude but passable Allison-style chassis but the huge out of scale roll bars ruin the look. Back when you could buy AMT NASCAR kits all day long for $5 or less I would cut up those cages and use them in lot of stuff because they're in scale.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for doing this.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: