Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need your opinion of models you choose to buy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro_Racing_Replicas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Need your opinion of models you choose to buy! Reply with quote

Hello fellow model builders and racing fans.

Have been around Randy's board for a long time, met lots of great people online, and some have passed on, and some are still active today!

Want to get a survey of opinions to better understand today's modeler view

Have been a fan of aftermarket decals since the kit makers were strictly top names and non-alcohol tobacco markings.

Lots of decal makers have come along, some are long gone and today others are producing some amazing stuff that I would have loved to have back then.

Mike's and SMH are the vendors of some of the decal producers, and a new website is out now called [url]printitdecals.com [/url]

Amazing that some grass roots guys who sold on here or on their own site,

are now on the printit web site.

Now the questions!

What aftermarket decals are you interested in buying?

Are there decals still that you would like to see, Cup, BGN, ARCA, short Track, dirt cars that are NOT available right now?

Are you only interested in the current "box decals" from the JRSal. kits?

And the final one that I have seen get shunned, because it has its market, the Diecast market... or better yet the "custom diecast market"

what is your opinion of the modeler that can create the diecast as clean and detailed as the model, and hopefully not need to worry about parts falling off or breaking when they age.

Again I do not see as much interest in some of my decal stock with the model

builder, since a resin, or a diecast may be the only market to find the "car" needed to build with my decal collection.

thank you for looking and reading this!

Big shout out to ShortWheels for his continued success!
Papadoc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Ok Smile

Quote:

Any cool schemes really. My biggest interest is from 2000-Present. I care more about the schemes than the individual drivers at this point. Its always nice to see something new and cool

Quote:
Are there decals still that you would like to see, Cup, BGN, ARCA, short Track, dirt cars that are NOT available right now?

Tons, but as I said my era is pretty wide. I also know that Pattos carries a lot of stuff but I always question that because of the sheer enormity of what they offer, I can't imagine it being as good as someone here like MPR or 3 Amigos who seem to release less but put a lot of time into what they do.

Quote:

No, but I am honestly super excited about the modern 2022 stuff coming out. Outside of that Salvinos doesn't have much Post 2000 as far as I know. So I might get some classics here and there but its not really where my biggest interest lies. I do love the fact that we can model current cars. I think thats HUGE for the hobby as a whole. Its hard to get excited about something than ran years and years ago, even if it is beautiful.

Quote:
what is your opinion of the modeler that can create the diecast as clean and detailed as the model, and hopefully not need to worry about parts falling off or breaking when they age.

I love working diecasts. Prior to this year I was primarily doing diecasts. I like finding cheap diecasts in flea markets, online, etc, and converting them to something different. Even now I'd say 70% of what I do is diecast, but only because I have a lot of stock. I love painting and decaling the most, so diecasting focuses on that and less the building. Once I get my stock dwindled down I'll probably be doing 20% diecast, probably for more modern stuff without a model or easy to find model. The problem with modern diecast is its very expensive so hard to find a good donor.

Honestly, I think there might be a little more interest in your decals if more information was available. I'd probably love to do an IROC car but I just don't have the knowledge on what to use as a donor. I also never work with resin so I'd need a user guide for that.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more old school and developed an interest in late models. Ace has done Butch Lindley and Harry Gant and soon the Jack Ingram sheet will be out. I would like to see some Jimmy Hensley decals. I will go the custom producer route when I get to that point if no one comes out with something. There are lots of good kits for converting to late model and resin bodies also.
tcg5014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly try and support the small (and big) decal guys with just about anything they put out. Even if its something I might never get around to building I appreciate anyone putting in the time to support the hobby. I will admit that if a resin body is needed, then I will probably pass on those sheets.

I don't do custom diecast, but often times think I probably should because paint and decals are my favorite part of the build process.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My decal buying has slowed down due to having a big stash I have accumulated over the years and I can halfway print something close if I need it. That being said, I like to see whatever Mark from Ace comes up with or Tom with his Old Days line. When I stumble across an old Cady sheet of some of the old cars, I may buy it.

Quote:

Yes, mainly some that were made once, like the 1957 Yunick # 3/31 Chevrolet and Fords of Goldsmith and Turner. No one has ever offered them since Cady did those and he is retired. Any Late Model Sportsman Chevelles or Novas from the 1970s.

Quote:

I am going to stay nice in my comments on anything related to Salvino's. I did my share and bought a lot of their kits to "support the hobby" and help a new player get in the game. I now regret that decision, as the stash of their kits I have bought I no longer have any interest in building, just too many quality issues that I don't want to deal with. I am either going to sell all those off (at a loss) or find someone who will trade me kit for kit for something else I would rather build. At this time, I have tired of fabricating 75 percent of a build to get halfway close to "accurate" and I am now doing what I call 'tribute" cars and having a lot of enjoyment from that, using mostly just what comes in the stock kit (like the Amt 63 Galaxie).

Quote:

I have always felt that diecast goes hand in hand with plastic, a build is a build is a build.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only build models that I have an interest in the driver for one reason or another. Just because the car looks cool doesn't give me the incentive to build it. Its either a car I wanted to build back in the day, but the resources were not there to do it and now they are, or a new driver has come along that might remind me of an old driver I really liked a lot and now I'm interested in that driver because he possesses the same qualities as the old one did. I find myself watching all the cup races now just so I can see how my driver is doing. No matter where he starts, he always ends up at the front, kind of like Dale
Earnhardt senior or Ernie Ervin used to do. I think the next gen car has a lot to do with it. The driver has more to do with the outcome then the car or anything else has to do with it. More of a level playing field now than before.
Retro_Racing_Replicas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

This is what I want to read and hear from the model car fan.

I have purchased way more decals than I need and love the paint schemes,

and do not favor any driver "hardcore fan" style like in the past.

My vision is to create or recreate a lot of the Busch Series Drivers cars that m

may not have been seen since JNJ decals era.

Jimmy Hensley #25 Fast Fare was a beautiful paint scheme,

Chevy Nova's Pontiac Grand Am, Lemans, Buick Lesabre, Regal all can be

created, but many are not available in production except the Hardee's Lemans of the #28 kit.

There are some great decals being produced from many sellers, and now my decals are out there and joining the market, mainly as a filling the void for my collection, and expanded to everyone can enjoy them now.

The IROC 1/24 cars do not have a lot of documented history, and I need to create some references to enlighten potential fans that want to build and do not know where to go since there is no current model or diecast on the market.

IROC Camaro Z-28 1/24 Plastic with basic details, no hood trunk open, but accurate looking although discontinued since 1988-89

IROC Dodge Daytona 1/24 Plastic also has basic details, no hood or trunk open, and looked a lot like the car shape, unlike the diecast that resembled a street car shape in the front and was not very template accurate on the back of the car.

The IROC Dodge Avenger 1/24 diecast was produced only by Racing Champions and the same basic interior details, no opening hood or trunk, but an accurate looking car.

The IROC Pontiac Firebird 1/24 was a fully detailed hood opening trunk open, diecast and wheels turned and interior and under body chassis was highly detailed.

This being a custom diecast builders only source has allowed more products to be listed on the aftermarket, but the steady rise in prices for a donor car is also a deterrent on getting one of these built, unless you are serious about the driver you collect.

I have made one resin car and after creating that one, I sold the others I have or had someone else take the resin from me for free, if they would help me make a diecast or model version.

If you want to visit a gallery of IROC Cars check here!! I create 99% of the decals and then created a version 2.0 later to get more accurate decal markings as I found better reference material of the cars.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190138684@N06/albums

Also check this site of very "detailed" diecast using my collection of IROC decals! Credit to Gerald B. for his references.

https://public.fotki.com/gfb00/
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to give a shout out for the IROC decals. I've used his 1/24 and 1/32 decals without issue on the True Value promo cars and Scalextric slot cars respectively. He has filled a void that I think we all know is out there. Only a couple WINSCALS 1980s decal sheets are available. RRR has a ton to offer and are nicely done with white print.

Very Happy
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unique stuff is always good. I enjoy rare and obscure stuff. There's a bunch of Busch Series schemes that Cup guys ran 1 race in that's fun to build.

Tip to all the decal guys that are making sheets at home. White is always a tough color to get a crisp finish. I'd gladly pay a few extra bucks to have an additional white sheet instead of buying a full extra set so I can double up the white areas.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need your opinion of models you choose to buy! Reply with quote

Retro_Racing_Replicas wrote:

Now the questions!

My goal is to build one of every car number from 00 to 99. In all three major series, although I do know it's not entirely possible as some numbers have never appeared in trucks at least. After that my goal is to build one of every driver to run a Cup race. Beyond that I just enjoy documenting the history of the sport. I am trying to build every car that attempted a Cup race in the 1990s in 1/64 scale.

Yes, there are a lot of 90s cars that have never been available.

Nope. I'm trying to decide what aftermarket decals I want to build instead of using the kit decals. I do not see me ever building a plastic model of Chase Elliott or Kyle Larson...unless I run out of better building options. Unlikely to happen any time soon but not impossible to happen someday.

And the final one that I have seen get shunned, because it has its market, the Diecast market... or better yet the "custom diecast market"

I prefer 1/64 diecast. That's what matters to me. Large scale plastic modeling (that's 1/24 scale) is an aside that I do because I enjoy it, but I don't truly care about it...if I could only afford one it would be 1/64. My long stated goal is to have every car that ever attempted a Cup race documented in 1/64. I can't afford that and decals don't exist for many, let alone photos for a lot of the obscure stuff ..there are cars as late as 2004 with no known photos of. Even the driver doesn't have a photo of his car. So I just build as many as I possibly can. I have collected over 6000 mass produced diecast and built more than 400 more myself, with no intention of stopping. I have a very hard time getting decal makers to support my scale. I WILL NOT buy 1/24 decals from a decal maker who doesn't offer in my scale. If you don't support me, I don't support you. It's that simple. (Screen printed decals not withstanding, that only applies to print to order decals)

Modeling is based on skill of the builder and nothing else, not what medium they prefer. Build plastic, diecast, resin, wood, heck if you carve it out of mashed potatoes you're still modeling.

Again I do not see as much interest in some of my decal stock with the model

builder, since a resin, or a diecast may be the only market to find the "car" needed to build with my decal collection.

thank you for looking and reading this!

Big shout out to ShortWheels for his continued success!

jojekin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Jimmy Hensley #25 Fast Fare was a beautiful paint scheme"

I agree #25 Fast Fare would be great!

Other cars on my wish list:

Cox #36 black car BGN

Raybestos #12 red car

Days Inn Special #01 Mickey Gibbs

Inn Keeper #5 Buick BGN

Kroger #6 Ernie Irvan Blue/white

Campbell Soup #07 Lumina BGN

Detroit Gasket #7 Buick Le Sabre BGN

Cling Free #08 Buick BGN

Mayflower #9 Chad Little

Purolator #10 Pontiac red/white car

Purolator #10 Lumina White BGN car

S&K Hand Tools #19 Lumina BGN

Coors Extra #19 Chad Little

Raven Boats #22 Rick Mast BGN

Die Hard #29 Lumina Steve Grissom BGN

Big Mama #31 Steve Grissom white car BGN

Hungry Jack #34 Todd Bodine BGN

I'd better stop...
John
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John, you brought back a bunch of great memories. Orange County Speedway in Rougemont, NC used to have two BGN races a year. Get there early and watch them get ready, practice, later qualify and race in the same day. And in between all that they had a driver autograph session and support races. Those were the good days, listening to the V-6 engines, meeting the drivers that would become Cup regulars. I guess I need to stop.

I know Ace is doing a Jack Ingram sheet, but I would like to see some of his Skoal cars decals
Retro_Racing_Replicas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments,

Billy, I have started more decals on the 1/64 market and will try to make a companion set for the 1/24 and 1/64 cars.

I wanted to make a car for every car I loved in the 80s around 1989, and it is 2022 and while Salvino's and Powerslide have actually released a lot of my want list, I have not been able to produce any of those cars like I wanted 30+ years ago.

to the rest of the postings, I love the list that jojekin put on the screen, your want list is actually my want list too!!

Hope I can make as many of those as I can. Also check out my friends listings as well! JHDesigns

https://printitdecals.com/?product_cat=&s=Purolator+&post_type=product
Retro_Racing_Replicas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: PRINT IT DECALS vs. my home made prints Reply with quote

Yes I am aware that the toner white on the homemade decals is not as opaque as the factory produced decals.

Have been adding a double of the white or just printing a second sheet with all white decals to help with this issue.

If you would purchase from the print it website, the hardware he uses has a better handle on the white and should be good with just one sheet.

Thanks!
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojekin wrote:

"Jimmy Hensley #25 Fast Fare was a beautiful paint scheme"

I agree #25 Fast Fare would be great!

Other cars on my wish list:

Cox #36 black car BGN

Raybestos #12 red car

Die Hard #29 Lumina Steve Grissom BGN

I'd better stop...
John

Patto has the 36 and 12 and Slixx put the numbers for the 29 on one of their number sheets. You would need to use the #17 truck decals and a copy of the Grissom Diamond Ridge sheet for his name, the contingencies and maybe some other stuff.
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro_Racing_Replicas wrote:
thanks for the comments,

Billy, I have started more decals on the 1/64 market and will try to make a companion set for the 1/24 and 1/64 cars.

I wanted to make a car for every car I loved in the 80s around 1989, and it is 2022 and while Salvino's and Powerslide have actually released a lot of my want list, I have not been able to produce any of those cars like I wanted 30+ years ago.

to the rest of the postings, I love the list that jojekin put on the screen, your want list is actually my want list too!!

Hope I can make as many of those as I can. Also check out my friends listings as well! JHDesigns

https://printitdecals.com/?product_cat=&s=Purolator+&post_type=product

I just realized who you were, lol. I'm so out of the forum lifestyle that I don't put usernames to real names as well as I once did. I just got my box from Ricky and will be applying some of your decals by the end of the week.
jojekin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill~
Thanks for the info. I’ve looked at Patti’s website but the decals looked like wraps and it seems hard to order from him. Don’t you have to phone him to order? It’s been a while since I’ve looked. How is the quality of their decals?
Thanks
John
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No phone needed, just send him an email and tell him what you want. He sends back an invoice in Australian currency but you pay via PayPal and it automatically converts it over. It sounds more confusing than it is.

For the wraps just ask him to hold the fill. I do it all the time.

He just got a new printer...so new I haven't finished any builds with it yet...but honestly they are now on par with Cartograph in brightness and clarity. The new decals are so bright and high quality I'm considering ordering some I've already gotten and redoing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: