Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1970 Grand National Tire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: 1970 Grand National Tire? Reply with quote

Was wondering if anybody knew for sure which tire was used in the 1970 season? Was it the treaded tire like 1969 or a slick? Any help would be appreciated. Did they start out with the treaded tire and change over during the year?
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treaded. Slicks were not until 1973.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tire did change mid-year to the large-letter tires. They had tread.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Kingsley wrote:
Treaded. Slicks were not until 1973.

Not true.

The first slick tire was used at Talladega in '70 I think. Maybe Michigan also. They were gradually incorporated across the board.

The last treaded tire (not to include modern dirt or rain tires) used in Cup was also the last Firestone tire used, at Martinsville in the fall of '74.

No blue stripe on the '70 Goodyears either. Not even the small letter version used early in the season if I recall correctly.
RTDaddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall the first appearance of the "slick" was the 1972 Talladega 500. They had tire problems with them blistering.
Joe Frasson had two blow on the right side which took him and Bobby Isaac out. this was the race James Hylton won in the '72 "Pop Cola" Mercury #48, basically because he could not afford the new style slicks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTDaddy wrote:
If I recall the first appearance of the "slick" was the 1972 Talladega 500. They had tire problems with them blistering.
Joe Frasson had two blow on the right side which took him and Bobby Isaac out. this was the race James Hylton won in the '72 "Pop Cola" Mercury #48, basically because he could not afford the new style slicks.

I remember reading about that " Tire Deal " at Talladega. All the hot shoes were running the new Goodyear tire, which RTDaddy noted had " issues ". I recall they were trying to buy the year - old tires from the Independents; remember that Back In The Day NASCAR allowed the teams to take their tires home after the race.
BTW - one of the last NASCAR Cup race wins ( if not THE last ) on Firestone Tires was Ray Elder at Riverside in January, 1971. This was also the FIRST NASCAR Race promoted as a Winston Cup event, and the first time a West Series driver would beat the BIG guys at their own game. Not a fluke either, as Ray would beat them all again at Riverside in June, 1972, this time with Wingfoot rubber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: