Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ready made Petty blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefty1820

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: ready made Petty blue Reply with quote

Is there a ready made Petty Blue out there in either spray or bottle?

Jeff
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Tamiya spray can........IIRC it was French Blue.
randman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamiya TS23 is a popular choice.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a lot like I do, most automotive paint supply shops can mix and fill a large spray can of acrylic enamel for less than $25. It goes a lot farther per dollar than the small cans.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tamiya TS-23 Blue over Tamiya Grey Primer. I tried it over white primer and it looks so much better over the grey primer. Good match for the blue Petty used. Don't be fooled by old photos that come in all shades of blue, it is caused by film, light and lense.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Got some Tamiya French Blue coming and have TS-23 already on hand. Project on hold now until we get back from our vacation to Hawaii.

Jeff
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks guys Reply with quote

lefty1820 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Got some Tamiya French Blue coming and have TS-23 already on hand. Project on hold now until we get back from our vacation to Hawaii.

Jeff

For what it's worth I made a bunch of spray samples about 15 years ago and took them to the museum to compare. Indoors, under presumably fluorescent lighting (which will make a difference) the TS-23 over Tamiya gray primer was the closest. They were all too "blue", in other words lacking all the milky green/gray undertones of real Petty blue, but the TS-23 over gray was closest. I brought the MCW recommended match, Grabber Blue, TS-10, and TS-23 with all of them over both white and gray primer. Maybe one other sample, it's been a long time.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I did buy the MCW recommended 2010 blue and it is too dark even with white Mr. 1000.

I will do the gray primer (Mr.1000) with a Tamiya blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: