Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing the Salvino's Le Mans thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Fixing the Salvino's Le Mans thread Reply with quote

Please put all your build tips here to make the Le Mans body more presentable.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do (credit to Nic Henson for this idea) is to take a razor saw and cut all the way through both B posts and all the way through the side portion of the C post, just leaving the material thickness at the rear window area. I use a piece of .040X.040 strip and fit it to run the entire length of the upper window opening, through the cut at the top of the B post, and into the cut I made in the C post. Then I fit a pie shaped piece of styrene to fill the rest of the now spread open cut in the side of the C post. It makes a big difference, gives the cage a reveal to hide behind at the top, and improves the overall fit.

Next, I remove a little material from the front of the B post (started in the photo below). It moves the B post rearward and changes the slant. I still need to add material to the back side to make the quarter window smaller, then open it to the rear to make the C post narrower and follow the slope of the rear glass more closely. To my eye there's too much angle to the bottom edge of the quarter window also, it looks more like a '78-'80 Grand Prix quarter window back there.

The rear bumper is too wide. I made a razor saw cut exactly in the middle, glued it back together, and the material removed by the saw made it just about perfect. The roof is too peaked in the middle above the windshield too, I need to heat and re-shape that area.

User randman has posted photos just this evening of his build on Facebook, I encouraged him to post his painted body with the changes he's done. His is the best proportioned body I've seen yet.

Here's my WIP:

First photo is stock roof height. The cuts in the B and C posts are there but I haven't added the styrene strip. The test chassis fits a Monte and Buick perfectly:

Second photo is the other side, with the .040 strip of styrene fitted and the rest of the filling and sanding done. Same test chassis fits up into the body much better:

This is what it looks like now, I had to pack it up for my move and I just dug it out. The roof work is cleaned up and primed, rear bumper is in progress, and B post mods are in process. The center of the roof in front is still too high:
randman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this article from Drew Hierwarter that had a few tips I used.
https://imodeler.com/2021/01/1981-pontiac-lemans-nascar-race-car/

For my recent Bobby Allison build, here are the modifications I made. The only chassis mods were to shorten the connection points on the chassis front and body front where they mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: