Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gurney Stroppe Mercury Riverside 1967

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teegeefla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Gurney Stroppe Mercury Riverside 1967 Reply with quote

I am planning to build a curbside model of the 1967 Stroppe Mercury Cyclone that Dan Gurney drove at Riverside in 1967, and am in need of advice. Which kit works best for this model? Is the drag racing Dyno Don kit better for a bare cockpit or is there a resin alternative for a correct NASCAR interior and cage? Does that kit have the correct wheelbase? Is there a kit that does not have the windshield wipers (I am not a fan of trying to file them down). Is there a lot of molded in trim that has to be removed? Any advice is appreciated.
nolansims1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Jones car Reply with quote

He actually drove a 1967 Ford Fairlane. There are plenty of versions of the 1966 Fairlane, which is the same except the grill and tail lights available on ebay. The reissues of the Fairlanes are a great starting place.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jones car Reply with quote

nolansims1 wrote:
He actually drove a 1967 Ford Fairlane. There are plenty of versions of the 1966 Fairlane, which is the same except the grill and tail lights available on ebay. The reissues of the Fairlanes are a great starting place.

No, he actually drove a Bud Moore '67 Mercury Cyclone.

AMT did a brand new tool of the Cyclone during the ERTL years, it's pretty easy to find on eBay. You don't want the drag car, it has the rear wheelwells moved forward.

This is the kit you want:

teegeefla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom- do you have any suggestions about the best choice for an interior tub and roll cage? I have seen photos of the cars under construction and I'm not sure where to find an accurate version either in a kit or from a parts supplier. Thanks.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Gurney's car was still a shock tower car or not at Riverside. Turner's car was definitely still a shock tower car. When I built the Cyclone Hoss Ellington bought from Bud Moore I used the kit chassis and copied the stock interior side shapes to sheet styrene so they were plain panels. Cage was a mix of stuff robbed from a Model King reissue of the '70s MPC NASCAR kit generic chassis and some 1/16 rod.

Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a shock tower car
C5HM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Brothers Junkie wrote:
Still a shock tower car

Don't think so. As Tom stated above, Curtis Turner was in the shock tower (the first 66 Bud built) car at RIR ). Pops ripped the front corner off of that car during the race. Gurney was in one of the two 67s. Both of those cars Bud had clipped with a Galaxie snout at H&M.
C5HM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teegeefla wrote:
Tom- do you have any suggestions about the best choice for an interior tub and roll cage? I have seen photos of the cars under construction and I'm not sure where to find an accurate version either in a kit or from a parts supplier. Thanks.

If you are going to do the shock tower car (The first of three Comets/Cyclones Bud built), be advised it had a cage that was a bit different than the usual H&M cage. And, of course, the under hood architecture with the shock towers was very different from a regular half chassis car.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do a curbside version since I don't have the knowledge or skill to do a model with the shock tower version, but I do want to do an accurate interior, roll cage and the chassis/exhausts. Is the cage shown in Tom M's Hoss Ellington photo close enough to consider accurate for the Gurney car? Also, as mentioned, any help on the underside details will come in handy. Thanks to everyone for the help; most of my builds are in 1/43, so this will be the first large scale build.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shock tower car is the stock (factory) configuration for this car. As for the roll cage, the passenger side only required 3 horizontal bars in 1967. And I believe most were using electric pumps for the rear end cooler, not belt driven. Dr Craft, please correct me if I am wrong.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the hood of the shock tower car.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Craft asked me to post these photos:

Gurney seated in the car:

One of the '67 cars being prepared in Bud Moore's shop:

Presumably the '66 car showing the driver's side interior:

And a photo another friend of mine took after the Weaverville race in '66 that Dieringer won in the Cyclone showing the passenger side of the '66 car in color:
C5HM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bill J"]Under the hood of the shock tower car.
[/quote

That is a shot of the replica shock tower car (that was mendaciously passed off as the real deal) that was built a few years back from one real BME fender. Not too sure you can rely on it for accurate modeling. FYI
teegeefla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your suggestions for painting the Gurney/Riverside Comet? If it is a Bud Moore car are the colors the same red and silver as on the Trans-Am Cougars? But some photos look like it is more of a metallic red (and color photos are so hard to trust when it comes to color matching). I primarily use Tamiya rattle cans. Thanks.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not Dan's ride but I'd think it about the same. Tamiya bright red and silver. Penngwen decals.
teegeefla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan-
That is excellent! Beautiful model. Thanks.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the same kit as the one above, I used it to try to make a 1966 Darel Dieringer Comet. I was lucky to find this kit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: