Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1966 Darel Dieringer/ Bud Moore Mercury Comet Cyclone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: 1966 Darel Dieringer/ Bud Moore Mercury Comet Cyclone Reply with quote

This model depicts the car that won the 1966 Southern 500. I've been trying to build as many Southern 500 winners I can from the 50's and 60's. This car had a 390 bored to 405 cubic inches. It also sported 2 4-barrel carbs. AMT kit. P.P.P. tires and wheels. homemade laser decals using the ghost white toner cartridge.

jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. Good job
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comets & Fairlanes.....some of my favorite race cars!!!
bighoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Mark - all the detail work makes it stand out. What did you use for the seat belts?
gks1964

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work!!!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful build Mark. That red, black & white livery really stands out.
I followed with great interest your work taking the simple AMT 67 road car kit and making a 66 race car from it. The transformation surgery has been most successful.
Well done sir!
Bob B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super sweet!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!!!

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply outstanding build Mark. And I can't believe that it's brush painted. Looks marvelous. Don't think I'll give up my airbrush though.

Great build my friend.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one awesome build Mark! Another work of model art Smile
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If interested in the wip there are some better interior shots and a look at the decal sheets I made. Click on the link below.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/169114-1966-mercury-comet/
bighoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WShockedW
I knew you added a ton of details and scratch built items but I never knew how much until I looked at the build thread. - Outstanding work.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nicely done!!!!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
I followed with great interest your work taking the simple AMT 67 road car kit and making a 66 race car from it. The transformation surgery has been most successful.
Well done sir!

Thanks, Pierre. I'm thinking choosing the black background for this livery was not a good idea. Probably scrap it next time. I was trying to achieve what Dan did with his black cars, but that kind of photography is way above my pay grade. Just need to go back to plain old gray poster board for my next build. Thanks for all your tips on the paint process during the build. without your help, I probably would have scrapped the whole build.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
Simply outstanding build Mark. And I can't believe that it's brush painted. Looks marvelous. Don't think I'll give up my airbrush though.

Great build my friend.

Thanks, John. You definitely should not give up your airbrush because you are a master of that kind of painting. I have never had good success with airbrush or rattle cans and the toxicity issues forces me outside to deal with the heat and humidity and junk falling out of the trees on my builds. not to mention orange peel issues, run issues, dulling out paint issues, mostly caused by humidity and the cleanup of the airbrush after the paint session. The cleanup with brush painting is in my kitchen sink with dawn dishwashing detergent. Can't get any easier than that. I just need to figure out how to get the paint to flow better to completely eliminate the brush marks, so I don't have to polish as much. Pierre has found the secret, but I'm still working on it. Thanks again my friend.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
That is one awesome build Mark! Another work of model art Smile

Thanks, Bill. Your work is always so inspiring to keep me going.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bighoo wrote:
WShockedW
I knew you added a ton of details and scratch built items but I never knew how much until I looked at the build thread. - Outstanding work.

Thanks, Big. Talk about Outstanding work. the collection you just posted recently is definitely that and more. So clean, so perfect.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great job on this!
This car pretty much got me drawn into stock car racing. In 4th or 5th grade I borrowed a copy of Robert Jackson's 'Stock Car Racing: Grand National Competition.' After chapters on the cars and the drivers, it culminated in 'The Race.' And in this book it was the '66 Southern 500. A few years back I tracked down a copy online. Reading through it once more brought me back to when I caught the stock car bug, an 11-year old reading in a school basement library in the Bronx.

hawk22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bud Moore fan. He always built according to the rules.

I have a Bud Moore Comet posted in the modified forum (wrong forum!).
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:
Well done sir!

Thanks, Pierre. I'm thinking choosing the black background for this livery was not a good idea. Probably scrap it next time. I was trying to achieve what Dan did with his black cars, but that kind of photography is way above my pay grade. Just need to go back to plain old gray poster board for my next build. Thanks for all your tips on the paint process during the build. without your help, I probably would have scrapped the whole build.

I hear you, I also chose to leave the mirror & black background setup in the hands of photo experts and gone to a more neutral setup.
Glad if I can help with the painting stuff. Your paint is really good and you'll find ways to make it even better.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Pierre Rivard wrote:
Well done sir!

I hear you, I also chose to leave the mirror & black background setup in the hands of photo experts and gone to a more neutral setup.
Glad if I can help with the painting stuff. Your paint is really good and you'll find ways to make it even better.

Thanks, Pierre. Like I said, I'm not giving up on the brush. I would rather quit modeling, then go back to spraying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: