Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butt-hurt about criticism...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
43petty45

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Butt-hurt about criticism... Reply with quote

Hi all,
haven't posted in a while. Mainly because I took some time off from building due to moving a couple of times and just not having much time for the hobby anymore...but I do pop in from time to time.

I have noticed on the few occasions that there seem to be more and more people getting butt-hurt when people give what simply appears to be constructive criticism about a build. I see more in the Fab Shop forum than others, and for obvious reasons. These forums were created so we as a dwindling community could share and learn from one another...not just show what we build and expect only praise from our fellow modelers.

I guess my bottom line is this...if you come on these boards and forums to just show your work for likes and praises like you probably do on Facebook, you should rethink the reasons for your modeling, which should be for your own enjoyment, whatever the reason, and not somebody else's enjoyment. so if you cant handle any sort of criticism at all...my advice to you is don't bother posting your work and the whine about other members, more than likely more experienced builders, who are simply trying to help you improve your skillset and help you create better models. I for one can guarantee you that if I would have been like the whiners I mention in this post, I never would have improved my skills.

Take this as you wish, but at the end of the day, the only reason you build should be for your own enjoyment.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hobby. That's all. I've learned what little I know from better modelers than myself. Too much negativity has diminished my enjoyment of a great hobby. It's sad. But, grown ups do act like children.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I agree with comments made by 43Petty45.
What I see is a lot of support between builders and a lot of useful exchange of knowledge happening on the FAB or WIP tabs.
Personally when I put something in the FAB it is to receive input/ideas as I go through the process not always knowing ahead how I will tackle build issues.
However what irks me is when a fellow stays on the sidelines and waits until you are done to write in detail how it should have been done.
Thankfully this only happens on rare occasions.
Help, advice, support yes.
Monday morning quarterback, no.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but when the guy giving the criticism never posts his builds, but just likes to find fault with the builder posting, that is not cool.
Tone is also important. If you say to a guy you might want to try this only if the guy complains he's having a problem that is good. But just saying you got that all wrong and you need to start over when the guy's build is just about complete is downright blank. The hobby is for enjoyment. It's not a competition. I had enough of that before retirement at that horrible job I spent 44 years doing.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
Can't say that I agree with comments made by 43Petty45.
What I see is a lot of support between builders and a lot of useful exchange of knowledge happening on the FAB or WIP tabs.
Personally when I put something in the FAB it is to receive input/ideas as I go through the process not always knowing ahead how I will tackle build issues.
However what irks me is when a fellow stays on the sidelines and waits until you are done to write in detail how it should have been done.
Thankfully this only happens on rare occasions.
Help, advice, support yes.
Monday morning quarterback, no.

Totally agree, Pierre.
TonyK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't criticize a model because it's not in me. If I see something I don't like or something lacking I don't say anything figuring the builder was happy enough with their model and willing to show it to everyone.

A good friend and fellow modeler has said he's as good as he'll ever be so what you see is it. I'm the same way these days and I realize that may be why a model shown is not up to everyone's standards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being critical of an inaccuracy after the builder has already acknowledged the inaccuracy and indicated that they are fine with it just isn't constructive or helpful as we've seen in The Fab Shop.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't possibly disagree with 43Petty45 more. This is a hobby and we all participate to the best of our abilities. Some of you guys are great! I've seen some of the nicest, most highly detailed models I've ever seen right here. Some, including me, are average. Nothing wrong with either. In the short time that I've been back in modelling, I've met a couple of guys here that I call friends.

A few life lessons I learned along time ago. My mom taught me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." I'm not a rivet counter, I build for me, my peace of mind and my shelf. If I can't be uplifting, I won't comment.

Although I am a retired law enforcement official, I went to college to be a mortician. I learned in mortuary school to "never criticize someone else's work because you don't know what they started with." In this case, I take this as I don't know this person's skill level and even if I did, it's not my place to criticize their work.

It all boils down to this, if you're happy with your finished product, so am I.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rule. If someone adds the words to the post "criticism welcome" then I have no problem if someone points out flaws.

That said, you never know who is posting their work. It might be a 14 year old posting his first model and he is damned proud of it. I would NEVER say something negative as you could sour his whole outlook on the hobby. If someone posts their work, they are obviously proud of it. If you like it say so, if you don't, say nothing.

Last edited by Dennis O on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dennis. If it's not asked for, then I don't offer anything.

To expand further on Dennis comment about who the builder may be: You just never know, it could someone with health issues or a disability and they are doing the best they can, it could also be someone who has a very limited hobby budget and can't afford to throw all the bells and whistles at a build.

I think overall we have a very helpful group here (in spite of what Jim from Salvino's thinks). We have always welcomed both the full detail contest-oriented builders and the kit bashers/box stock/curbside folks.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that we had a "liked the comment" button. I agree completely with Gary66, Dennis and several others.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, I only care about historical accuracy. When I see people blatantly ignoring that, it annoys the heck out of me. Why bother to do something if you aren't going at least attempt to do it right?

Making a mistake is one thing, but not even trying...total waste: of time, the kit, the decals, the supplies, and my time for having to look at it.

I know I'm not the greatest builder. I fail almost as often as I succeed, which is a marked improvement from my failing 95% of the time as I used to have. But I will never knowingly choose to do something wrong, because I'm too lazy to buy the right kit, or do 10 seconds worth of research, or even look at a single photo of the real car.

I feel the same way about fantasy cars. Who's got time for that when there are literally 1600 decals in my collection waiting to be built?

With all that said, I don't really say anything about them unless I'm specifically asked. I may think what you are doing is a waste of time, but I won't tell you that unless you really want to know what I think...and, spoiler alert, nobody does.
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which forum you've been looking at but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get butt hurt about a critique on this one. Nor have I seen anyone looking down their nose and telling others their model is wrong. Mainly because this place is made up of mostly mature adults who appreciate all skill levels on display. These same people are also more than willing to post advice in the model discussion and tips & tricks when someone asks for it. I myself have learned a lot from the discussions and tutorials.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razorback 46 wrote:
Not sure which forum you've been looking at but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get butt hurt about a critique on this one. Nor have I seen anyone looking down their nose and telling others their model is wrong. Mainly because this place is made up of mostly mature adults who appreciate all skill levels on display. These same people are also more than willing to post advice in the model discussion and tips & tricks when someone asks for it. I myself have learned a lot from the discussions and tutorials.

Check the Fab Shop…
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry about accuracy. Why?

A- maybe 3 people other than me will ever see it in person

B- I don't build for contests

C-Sitting up on my shelf you can't tell the difference if I painted the chassis with an exact paint code match or used 99 cent Family Dollar spray bomb

D- Some of my builds don't have decals on the side facing the wall. Back in the 70s before decal makers came along, that's how you got two cars from one sheet. I still do that if I blow a decal on one side.

E- I like generic box art cars, not real, but I like building them.

Now, I will applaud and admire/respect anyone who puts the time and effort into a fully detailed build and exactly match a real 1:1 car. That's above my skill level and patience.

Build for yourself, not others.

Last edited by Gary66 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary
Plus in the 60s and 70s while paint schemes remained constant, sponsors could change race to race especially on short tracks. So you and I could be at 2 different races and decals could be correct depending on the race
Bill
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you and I could be at 2 different races and decals could be correct depending on the race

I have always wanted to build a Banjo/Donnie # 27 with dark blue wheels, post it, wait for someone to call me out on the rims not being white, then hit them with this picture:

[/img]
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary
Or do the model of the car mid race where car has one color wheel on front and different color on rear when they got tires from another team!
Bill
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get too picky and critical of my own projects, but would never subject someone else's build to that. I look at some builder's work and it may be a little rough around the edges and not totally accurate, and they said they had a blast building it. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about, having fun.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sn't that what it's supposed to be about, having fun.

Absolutely.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely.

I AGREE!!
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
Gary66 wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely.

I AGREE!!

Me too!

Rick Bell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Enjoy what you build for your own enjoyment. Reply with quote

Just retired and am finding that I have time to build more than 2 cars a year.
As it has done for decades, building models helps many things for me: fine motor skills (+ / -), patience (or lack thereof), memory (not everything can be found on the internet), a way to tune out the world and focus on myself (sounds greedy / needy / self-centered but most of my time is given to other people (just like all of you, regardless of who you are, where you live, what you do for a living, your electoral affiliations, and on and on).
My long-winded, Foghorn Leghorn way of getting around to what Gary 66 stated in his post on July 03: do it for your own enjoyment.

Life is too short.
Have some fun, between tending to all your responsibilities.

BTW: in addition to all the errors that I do by mistake on every model I build, I intentionally make a couple, or "miss" doing something, on purpose, so that I can always take something out of one of the display cases and fix / finish it.

Reminds me: I planned to fabricate a gas-filler-cap for the "built in 2014" Sam McQuagg - Bud Moore Cyclone car today. Gotta run and get that done.

Enjoy...please...Rick B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: