Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/24 Revell Dodge Intrepid to 2005 #9 Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xracer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: 1/24 Revell Dodge Intrepid to 2005 #9 Charger Reply with quote

I will be starting this in a couple days. I am using the Revell Sterling Marlin 40 Coors Light car as a donor for Kasey Khane's #9 2005 Charger. I have an SMH resin nose clip for the conversion to a Charger. I still need to order decals, JWTBM for the 9 and 19 cars. I am still figuring the best way to do the resin nose, I think I have it figured out. John

jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated on your progress.
I plan on doing the conversion myself sometime. Always good to see what others have come up with so we can help each other improve.
Xracer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will update. Here is what I see so far. The outside of the casting measures about the same as the outside of the plastic body. I measured back from the angle where the hood is and the same angle on the resin nose where the hood fits. I drew a line on the plastic body and made a line, sorta curved like the casting, see photo 1. I tried fitting the kit hood to the nose. It fits good on the right side but way off on the left, if I shift it to center it's way off, looks like the resin nose needs lotsa sanding and shaping. Also in the last picture you'll see where the resin did not fully flow into the mold? I know nothing about resin parts, just guessing. I think I have to cut the void area out and super glue in a plastic card patch? It'll be awhile before I actually do any cutting or sanding, I want to check around and see what others say. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the engine, nose still has me a bit baffled. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try and add the resin nose to the body. I have measured and remarked where it looks the nose should be. I also noticed the nose is about 2 mm taller than the molded on area. So I will keep it flush with the top. hood area, and let the resin nose hang down lower than the cars rocker panels, I guess I will have to "jack up" the body as all the real NASCAR bodies I have seen have the nose almost on the track well below the rocker panels. Sound good? I also added a sprue brace behind the cut to prevent the residual stress of the body springing out when I remove the "plastic nose". Learned that trick from 42 years of cutting steel with a torch! LOL. Here is my cut area. John
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these noses and ran into the same type of problems you have. It's warped and the hood doesn't fit even remotely close. I was too nervous to hack anything up.
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mine is not warped but the shape of the actual hood and the resin's version seem far apart! I REFUSE to alter the kit hood and will try to correct the resin nose. I too am worried BUT I can always buy another kit if I mess this one up! I will buy a kit just for the body if need be. I did a lot of drafting in high school and fiddled with the CADD at work so I understand kinda sorta how things should fit and look. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the fun begin! Here we go, lotsa work ahead. Nothing is glued yet, just sitting there so I can study this mess. John

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are braver than I!!! Good luck.
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think this is a start. It may take a while, I will grab my mask and files and file to the line. I do not want to Dremel as I have no interest in creating a resin dust storm. John
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resin nose I have is alot wider than the body and not symmetric. Must have pulled it off of the plug too soon. Not a very good casting, but what else is there. From your pictures, looks a little of the same. Thanks for sharing your progress.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad you're posting pics and doing an indepth post about the process. As far as I know there isn't anything covering this on the new site. I want to attempt one of these but I like following along with a post like this. I was too nervous to cut and hack so I built an Intrepid and saved the nose.
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This casting isn't too bad. I don't know how resin castings work, I do know about injection molding a little, my younger brother was a certified mold maker for 30 years and he showed me his shop and CNC mills and polisher etc. I also built and welded frames for 250, 500, 750 and 1000 ton injection molding machines at a shop I worked in in the early 80s. It made paper machinery and tried getting into mold machines, went the way of the buggy whip, we made no money and dropped the line. I do remember fixing cast iron parts with holes in them, sand holes from casting, grind them out and weld holes with nickle rod. So much for ancient history, back to my filing. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually seeing progress, not a lot but it looks like it may be possible to file it to shape. A new method to me, wet filing. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update. I removed the void area where the hood rests when down on the resin nose. I had to go with a smaller slimmer file to start work turning the radiused front of the nose to a straight line like the hood really is. No clue why they radiused the front edge of the nose in that area. My "weapons of choice" are a set of Husky needle files which are performing most excellently so far. I am also using the cut off plastic nose to help guide me with what the shape should look like, a visual aid so to speak. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last update for a while. I needed to get in a tight corner and that's when I remembered my MicroMark small chisels. I bought them 2 weeks ago for a model ship and forgot about them. They seem to work as good on resin as they do on plastic. The shape of the hood is almost there in the resin nose but I need to go deeper and push the nose closer to the body, more chiseling, more sanding. I got other stuff to do also, mowing, trimming usual domestic chores. I think I will be close by the end of the week. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is done. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nose and hood are close enough so I super glued it on. The resin nose looked to be about 2 mm higher than the plastic nose, I put 2 of my Starrett scales under the body and that did the trick, I checked the thickness for giggles and laughs with my digital calipers and the scales are 1.12 mm thick.
When it sets up good I will putty the seams. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a bit ahead of schedule. Hood fit is acceptable and I have the seams puttied. I should be able to start sanding tomorrow night. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the chassis started. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving along with the chassis and body. The body-nose area needs more putty and sanding to smooth out hood to nose join and I need to fill some bubbles in the casting. I did as I always have done for the past 15 years or so. glue the hood shut. If I want to show the engine I take the body off and show the chassis also. I think I get better smoother paint jobs but that is my opinion only. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished up the Kasey Kahne figure and added it to the chassis. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis is almost done. John

Xracer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis is done and the body is all sanded and ready for paint. It looks like it has UC, urban camouflage, as I switched from Tamiya gray to white putty. The gray was not filling good and I was getting lots of unnecessary porosity. Moving right along now, time to order decals. John

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, at first, I thought they sold you too big of a nose, but you did it. You got it to fit rather nicely from what I can see. Way to stick with it and have the courage to keep at it till it worked. Some awesome modeling going on here. Can't wait to see the finished product
Xracer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the only other issue is the passenger window is the wrong shape. I was hoping for a resin insert from some after market company but have found no such item to date so it will remain as is. I actually bought this nose second hand from a member here, Jose who has built many of Kasey Kahne's rides. I mentioned the passenger window was wrong what I meant was the rear seat windows. They are rounded" and should be a trapezoid like shape. John
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracer wrote:
Thanks, the only other issue is the passenger window is the wrong shape. I was hoping for a resin insert from some after market company but have found no such item to date so it will remain as is. I actually bought this nose second hand from a member here, Jose who has built many of Kasey Kahne's rides. I mentioned the passenger window was wrong what I meant was the rear seat windows. They are rounded" and should be a trapezoid like shape. John

If you could shape those quarter glass openings just right with some styrene sheet or strips and putty. I'm sure you could make the glass from clear plastic packaging material from lots of things you buy at the store. I used a cherub tomato packaging item to make parts for a model once.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Kahne Charger from 2005 it looks like you could just make the quarter glass smaller at the lower rear corners, actually making it into that trapezoid shape you need. Just use a #11 exacto blade and cut slowly and methodically till you get the cut deep enough to snap the excess glass off.
Xracer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but this is like the original Bill Elliot Dodge Intrepid, one piece glass, so I would have to cut the glass apart to get at the window. I believe the 2nd molding of the Coors Light car had all the window pieces separate. I don't want to chance breaking the one piece unit so I will live with a small inaccuracy. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was wrong about a later kit with separate glass pieces. I looked at the Ryan Newman kit and it has this same one piece glass. There were 2 Coors Sterling Marlin kits, I think the second boxing had different parts for the chassis engine compartment as they are also included in my first boxing. Very confusing, I must have mixed up the Intrepid with a later Revell NASCAR kit other than Dodge. John
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracer wrote:
Thanks but this is like the original Bill Elliot Dodge Intrepid, one piece glass, so I would have to cut the glass apart to get at the window. I believe the 2nd molding of the Coors Light car had all the window pieces separate. I don't want to chance breaking the one piece unit so I will live with a small inaccuracy. John

Smart move. Only the rivet counters will know and there aren't that many of those guys around. Your doing the main thing to make it right ,the nose, and its looking excellent.
iceman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job
I did a couple of the Dodge charger conversions and the only other thing I did was to fill in the body line between the wheel wills if you look at the charger they were more slab sided and did not have that line in the mibble of the door and fenders.
Xracer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I looked at some of his Charger pictures and they all seemed to be slab sided. I have since filled those lines. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The putty and sanding is done. I masked the outside and painted the interior gray. John
Xracer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's red. John
bigryan18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to look very odd seeing that you did'nt take the time to mod the glass to look like the Charger's IMO...
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, when I googled 2005 Kasey Kahne charger a blue one popped up but this is going to look even better. Excellent paint job and dont sweat the quarter glasses. Maybe 5 % of the people will know its not correct IMHO.
Xracer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build the way I want. I did not come here for criticism. I have had enough of what I have to do or what way to do it. Later. John
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracer wrote:
I build the way I want. I did not come here for criticism. I have had enough of what I have to do or what way to do it. Later. John

I hear you . But please don't stop the wip. a lot of people want to see the finished product. Your transformation of the nose was superlative. Most people just assume it wont work and quit on it. You proved it can be done and done beautifully.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this as I was looking forward to the rest of this wip. I get it, folks don't post their work just to be criticized. I come here to learn and look at all models, the highly detailed or not. I guess what the kids say is true "Haters gonna hate" or in this case, rivet counter's gonna count rivets. Xracer, thank you for what you shared. Rivet counter's, thanks for nothing.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: