Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decal Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horrorshow

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Decal Tips Reply with quote

Some of my decals are starting to come off and they have been on for less than a year. Are they just a bad set? (They were Ace)
Is there something I could put on after I apply the decals?
WR

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the same problem with Ace and Powerslide, its like they dry up and just start cracking off, some in just a couple months.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put a coat of Pledge floor finish over my decalled models to seal the decals on forever. The pledge used to be called future. Its the same stuff. You can put it on with a wide soft brush and it drys smooth as glass. Very easy fix for failing decals over time. I have some 15 year old models whose decals still look as good as the day I applied them.
WR

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried that, I have a bunch of models with Slixx and other various decals on them that are 20 years old or better that never had anything on them and they look as good as the day i put them on and it just seems in recent, I can't seem to get a set to stay on and it's like i said above it's the Ace and Powerslide decals i am having trouble with.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Never tried that, I have a bunch of models with Slixx and other various decals on them that are 20 years old or better that never had anything on them and they look as good as the day i put them on and it just seems in recent, I can't seem to get a set to stay on and it's like i said above it's the Ace and Powerslide decals i am having trouble with.

If that is true, then the pledge/future would solve your problem. if a decal is held down by a coat of something, either the floor finish or a gloss clear acrylic paint , its not going to come up on you. Hard to believe Ace or Powerslide would have reduced the quality of their product from what it had been 20 years ago.
WR

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question does it leave the car super shinny because the new cars with the wrap on them are not that shinny they are kinda satin
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Just a question does it leave the car super shinny because the new cars with the wrap on them are not that shinny they are kinda satin
Depends on what type of laminate is used over the printed vinyl. When I interned with RCR in 2016, Austin's 3 car mainly used gloss and anytime it needed florescent, it was applied over the laminate. However, Ryan Newman's 31 CAT car got matte laminate.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen any problems with decals of any brand coming off my builds, even when I don't apply any clear over them. One thing that may make a difference is the surface they're going onto. I make sure that the paint I'm putting the decal on is a gloss paint, and that it's been sanded smooth and polished with compound to get as smooth of a surface as possible. (Then if you want a duller matte finish after applying the decal, you can use a dull clear coat over it) I also brush on some Micro Set to the area I will be applying the decal to help it sit down nicely.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Belcher wrote:
I have not seen any problems with decals of any brand coming off my builds, even when I don't apply any clear over them. One thing that may make a difference is the surface they're going onto. I make sure that the paint I'm putting the decal on is a gloss paint, and that it's been sanded smooth and polished with compound to get as smooth of a surface as possible. (Then if you want a duller matte finish after applying the decal, you can use a dull clear coat over it) I also brush on some Micro Set to the area I will be applying the decal to help it sit down nicely.

Good point , Dan. Decals will not adhere very well to a rough surface like orange peel or a scratched up surface.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both Powerslides and Aces over the past year and haven't had any problems. I saw it mentioned here that if the decal isn't fully adhered to the body it will cause problems. Anything that's loose and not completely bonded to the car will dry out and crack. My advise is use Mirco-Sol or any other decal setting solution to help with body contours. I'll put multiple coats on and gently press down with a paper towel to really get the decal to take the shape it needs to be. I also recommend Future. It will seal everything down and prevent the edges from lifting up. It is shiny but I've gone over Future with both rattle can dull coats and airbrushed Tamiya dull coat and never had any problems.
afx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Micro Set, haven't had any issues with decals coming loose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: