Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASCAR Hall of Fame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: NASCAR Hall of Fame Reply with quote

This years' inductees are Matt Kenseth, Kirk Shelmerdine, and HERSHEL McGRIFF !!! .boogie .boogie notworthy Yes -- YES -- YES !!!
At age Ninety - Four , Hershel has waited FAR TOO Long for his day. I'm still researching the claim that Hershel raced against ALL FOUR generations of the Petty Family; if so he would likely be the only driver - dead or alive - that can make that claim. He also raced FOR the Pettys, kinda - sorta , in the 1973 Daytona 500, running a new Petty Enterprises 1972 Plymouth to a 5th place finish. He would return to run 4 more Cup races in 1974 in a Petty Enterprises Dodge. McGriff also raced stock cars in Australia, AND at the World Famous 24 Hours of LeMans in 1976 !!!
After winning the 1950 Mexican Road Race in a bone - stock Oldsmobile, McGriff would run the 1st Southern 500, where he was noticed by car owner Frank Christian. Even though he only drove half the events, McGriff still earned 4 wins and finished 6th in 1954 season points. High finishes in selected events in 1951 - '54 earned him an offer from Carl Kiekhaefer Shocked in the all - conquering Chrysler 300's !!! Hershel would turn down the ride to return to Oregon, raise a family, and run the company sawmill town in Bridal Veil. The ride he turned down would carry Tim Flock to the 1955 NASCAR Championship. Woulda - Shoulda - Coulda... Rolling Eyes
Hershel McGriff would return to NASCAR Racing in the 1969 Permatex 300 at Riverside Raceway, ( was there EVER a better Sponsor Name for " The Saturday Race " -- at Riverside, Daytona, or wherever ??? ), winning the event and earning a Lifetime Tire Deal with Goodyear !!! ( McGriff is 1 of 5 drivers reputed to have had this deal, I'm sure A.J. Foyt was another; perhaps Mark Donohue too ??? )
Through out the 1970's & '80's Hershel McGriff competed on NASCAR's Grand National West / Winston West Series, finally winning the season championship in 1986 ( along with 12 straight Most Popular Driver awards ). Though he never won any of the combined West / Cup races at Riverside, he would win 14 " Stand - Alone " Winston West or Southwest Tour races at the famed California road course, the most wins among professional drivers.
While Ray Elder may have won more West Series Championships, and Jack McCoy more races, Hershel McGriff has more style, charisma, and popularity with the fans - to this very day !!! I hope he is able to attend the West Series' 1000th Race in August at Evergreen Speedway, Monroe, WA. I want to see "... The driver of the ZERO - FOUR Pontiac - from BRIDAL VEIL OREGON - HERSHEL .. MCGRIFF !!! " - one more time. ..applause ..applause notworthy

Last edited by George Andrews on Mon May 09, 2022 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with 2 of the 3............................... Twisted Evil
TonyK

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. Was a big fan of his and enjoyed watching him at Portland Speedway. A fan of his son Doug also.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan -- I too am wondering about the 2nd " driver " I listed for the next HOF class... Confused Rolling Eyes
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but am I missing something? Kirk went into the NASCAR H.O.F. as a crew chief, not a driver. He, along with Dale, Sr and the team, won four NASCAR Cup Series championship's. I think that Kirk is well deserving of his induction as a crew chief.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but am I missing something? Kirk went into the NASCAR H.O.F. as a crew chief, not a driver. He, along with Dale, Sr and the team, won four NASCAR Cup Series championship's. I think that Kirk is well deserving of his induction as a crew chief.

I'm not sure Shelmerdine was the "driver" being addressed.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
TN Vols fan wrote:

I'm not sure Shelmerdine was the "driver" being addressed.

You might be correct, driver #2 was mentioned. As Kirk's name was #2 listed in the first sentence I guess I just assumed.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies to all; I did not realize Kirk Shelmerdine was going in as a crew chief. I was thinking of his brief driving career. He is certainly deserving of the HOF nod for his efforts at Richard Childress Racing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: