Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Look what I picked up at Walmart yesterday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Look what I picked up at Walmart yesterday Reply with quote

In the middle of an aisle, they had a display of amt models, and this was one of them. I have been looking for a 64-ford kit for years with no luck and there it was in new packaging. It cost $19.97 but they only had one in the display. They had a few other kits I haven't seen at Hobby Lobby but this was the only one that grabbed my interest.

Bill J

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what you make out of that 64 Galaxie Mark. Shoukd be interesting Smile
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great price. I have one but as part of a combo and it was more expensive.
Is your's also with a shut hood, 1 piece interior and 1 piece chassis??
I still bought it because I really want to do this car but I fear the amount of work involved.
I look forward to seeing how you tackle this one.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill and Pierre. I think it's just like the kit I did a few years ago with hood sealed shut and molded in exhaust chassis. I did a Tom Pistone replica that I actually sold to Tom Pistone's daughter. I think she gave it to him for his birthday. I've heard that you can use a 60 ford kit chassis and cut open the hood. Then if you could source a 427 from another kit you could do a pretty interesting build. Right now, I'm leaning toward doind a Fast Freddie 64 ford. I have a 60 ford kit but I don't know if I want to use two kits to do 1 build.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish the 3 Walmart stores around me would have models. Great score. Cannot wait to see what you do with it.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, 3 stores in our county and never seen a car model in any of them
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the 64 modified stocker ford. It will give you racing chassis plus racing interior plus a good hood ! Will need tires and decals
Bill
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the kit can be built up as if you only use the kit. This is the Pistone build I did a few years ago. He campaigned this car in 1966 and did pretty well with it. Led a lot of laps at Martinsville.

Last edited by MarkJ on Mon May 09, 2022 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some information on the 64 Galaxie kit, the orignal annual kit had an engine and opening hood. It also had working hedlights. Along the way the kit was hacked up to make the "Modified Stocker" kit, they messed up the wheel wells and the front bumper and whatever else. AMT still had/has the original Promo molds and that has been issued several times, like the kit Mark picked up.

The 60 Ford "Custom" Starliner kit comes with an FE engine (same as the 427 externally) and has the correct cast iron factory headers NASCAR required in 1964.

The 60 Starliner is an excellent and accurate chassis for a full sized Ford from 60 to 64. It does require some sacrifice or the 64 chassis can be put under the 60 Galaxie, with the loss of most detail.

Fred Lorenzen's 64 is a good choice, his car was custom pearl white that year and was quite a nice looking car The blue used on the wheels and interior was 1958 Chevrolet Cashmere Blue, which can be sourced as an airbrush ready enamel from Scalefinishes.

Looking forward to seeing your take Mark.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Just some information on the 64 Galaxie kit, the orignal annual kit had an engine and opening hood. It also had working hedlights. Along the way the kit was hacked up to make the "Modified Stocker" kit, they messed up the wheel wells and the front bumper and whatever else. AMT still had/has the original Promo molds and that has been issued several times, like the kit Mark picked up.

The 60 Ford "Custom" Starliner kit comes with an FE engine (same as the 427 externally) and has the correct cast iron factory headers NASCAR required in 1964.

The 60 Starliner is an excellent and accurate chassis for a full sized Ford from 60 to 64. It does require some sacrifice or the 64 chassis can be put under the 60 Galaxie, with the loss of most detail.

Fred Lorenzen's 64 is a good choice, his car was custom pearl white that year and was quite a nice looking car The blue used on the wheels and interior was 1958 Chevrolet Cashmere Blue, which can be sourced as an airbrush ready enamel from Scalefinishes.

Thank you Bill J. for clarifying that I could use the 60 kit to make a more better 64 model and then use the 64 chassis to make the 60 car that I really wouldn't care if it did not have an opening hood.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:

Not to steal this thread, but my first two AMT kits were the 64 Galaxie HT and 64 Impala HT, both with working head and taillights. I always thought that they would have been great kits to reissue. Might help encourage younger generations to get involved with car modeling.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to figure out how to do a pearl white paint job using a brush. If I could find a pearl clear to put over white that might work, but I don't know if anybody ever made a pearlized clear.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
I'm going to have to figure out how to do a pearl white paint job using a brush. If I could find a pearl clear to put over white that might work, but I don't know if anybody ever made a pearlized clear.

I tried putting a pearl effect into the clear without success, not to say it can't be done.
Personally I'd lean to a Vallejo color coat done with a mix of off-white and metal medium (it's mica based)
I have a Strainer kit and the chassis is very good. Joe B has shown great work on that chassis in the fab shop
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I tried putting a pearl effect into the clear without success, not to say it can't be done.
Personally I'd lean to a Vallejo color coat done with a mix of off-white and metal medium (it's mica based)
I have a Strainer kit and the chassis is very good. Joe B has shown great work on that chassis in the fab shop

Thanks, Pierre. When I get to that step when I do the model I will try the metal medium and see what I get. Thanks for the tip.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, if you're going to check out your local Walmart for these kits, don't go to the toy section. They will be in their own display in a big aisle in the back of the store. And you will only find AMT model kits in it.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if they still have it, but I have a spray can of clear pearl from Model Car World. It is lacquer. Last time I used some, it went on so smooth I didn't rub it out.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamiya makes a pearl white that should be sprayed over plain white. They also make a pearl clear. Both in the TS spray cans.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Tamiya makes a pearl white that should be sprayed over plain white. They also make a pearl clear. Both in the TS spray cans.

If Tamiya made a pearl white in an acrylic bottle paint that would be great. Spray cans will not help me. I have ruled them out. But thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: